UKBouldering.com

The end of an era.... (Read 8676 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
The end of an era....
August 12, 2012, 12:11:58 am
..... For me anyway. At approximately 3am on Thursday the 9th of August 2012, my career as a clubber died. I had feared the worst after attending the Renaissance birthday gig in Leeds earlier this year and hoping and praying for my mates to tire so we could retreat, but being at Space Terrace, for the first time in my life, and thinking, "I'd rather be at home" was the nail in the coffin for me.

I just couldn't stand it, far too busy, far too hot, far too loud, far too bloody expensive, far too many young looking people having fun, has any one else noticed this change in attitude or have I got old all of a sudden?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: The end of an era....
August 12, 2012, 09:16:21 am
Comes to us all - I had to accept the horrible truth about 10 years ago.  It was quite painful since clubbing had defined so much of my life but it got to the stage where I felt out of place.  Also for me and many of my friends the drug use had to stop (for various reasons) and clubbing without drugs just isn't the same.

The only time we come out of retirement (funny, given your post) is if we're in Ibiza where we have a cheeky night out as a holiday treat - it's good to be blown away by the sound systems they've got out there and nobody seems to mind some old gits making fools of themselves and gurning in the corner :dance1:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:53:49 pm by Bubba, Reason: butterfingered spelling errors and clarity »

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: The end of an era....
August 12, 2012, 09:46:27 am
 ;D

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#3 Re: The end of an era....
August 12, 2012, 05:43:18 pm
I think a big part for me has been the fact I am playing a lot more gigs out at the moment, so I'd rather be mixing than dancing. We were watching Mark Knight at Space, and I had 7 of the tunes he played in his hour long set so nothing sounded new to me really. I also admit the drug taking of my former youth has stopped, and even being drunk wont cut it.

Ah well, I'll just have to keep plugging away and see if I can wangle a set on the terrace instead! Likely!  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: The end of an era....
August 12, 2012, 05:59:35 pm

I know what you mean - when I was DJing a lot I was buying from a very upfront shop in York and I used to find that usually I had most of the tunes I'd hear the big name DJs play. 

Also when you're really into mixing I think you inevitably get more critical of the sets you hear when you're out and part of the innocent enjoyment of being a punter grooving away on the floor can be lost as you analyse the music too much.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 01:32:55 pm
It happened to me very early indeed (when I was about 23) but I quite fancy a big night out now.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 04:33:11 pm
As long as you can look back and say "we did it right" then there's no shame in passing the baton.  ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#7 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 04:34:42 pm
I can look back and say "I think I did it right, but can't quite remember, which means I think I did it right..."

erm, sam

• forum hero
#8 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 04:45:53 pm
On the rare occasion I go out I usually find myself thinking "I wish I was listening to this in my kitchen, the sound quality would be better" etc etc. I think the thing is not to give up clubbing for ever but to keep you eyes open for something different that might be good rather than ploughing the same furrow. For me the first dubstep or Balkan gypsy music night or what ever has much more potential to amaze rather than ending up being another night appearing on the "all time House nights" list in a lowly position.

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 05:22:13 pm
I can look back and say "I think I did it right, but can't quite remember, which means I think I did it right..."
I can look back and think "fuck me, I remember andi_e joining this board as a small child and now he's reminiscing about being too old to go clubbing"

God I'm old.

andy_e

• forum hero
#10 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 06:18:16 pm
Don't worry, you're not as old as you think, I'm prematurely old.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 07:23:12 pm
I can look back and think "fuck me, I remember andi_e joining this board as a small child and now he's reminiscing about being too old to go clubbing"

God I'm old.
was thinking the same thing. quality

fools seldom differ etc...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#12 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 07:38:51 pm
The thought of standing in a packed superclub full of kids raving fills me with dread, but like Sam says you just have to keep your eyes peeled for more interesting nights out a couple of times a year. 

I'm going to this in a couple of weeks, on my 42nd birthday, but probably still younger than the Ninja Tune DJs and Adrian Sherwood who must nearly be qualifying for a bus pass.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: The end of an era....
August 13, 2012, 10:01:05 pm
I'm going to this in a couple of weeks, ...

That sounds ace and I'd be there if I wasn't in going to be in Norway.  I'm hopeless at spotting this kind of thing so feel free to draw my attention to similar events.

...the Ninja Tune DJs and Adrian Sherwood who must nearly be qualifying for a bus pass.

AS is only 2 years older than me!

underground

• forum hero
#14 Re: The end of an era....
August 14, 2012, 07:27:27 am
Norman Jay and David Rodigan both sprung to mind as candidates for the 'are we too early' mob

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: The end of an era....
August 14, 2012, 09:00:34 am
There's also DJ Derek who is still playing out at the ripe young age of 70.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#16 Re: The end of an era....
August 17, 2012, 07:31:58 am
on a related note Graeme park is doing a Hacienda revival acid house set in huddersfield according to the local paper
http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Huddersfield/The-Cotton-Factory/FAC-51-The-Hacienda-30th-Anniversary-tour-with-TODD-TERRY--GRAEME-PARK/11690464/

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#17 Re: The end of an era....
August 17, 2012, 02:33:39 pm
Ended up listening to Radio 2 today. Always dismissed this as for old cunts like Jasper, Lagers and Tomtom and not for us young 'uns, but they actually played a lot of records I remember from my early childhood, and I enjoyed it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#18 Re: The end of an era....
August 17, 2012, 02:37:02 pm

...the Ninja Tune DJs and Adrian Sherwood who must nearly be qualifying for a bus pass.

AS is only 2 years older than me!

Precisely.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: The end of an era....
August 17, 2012, 02:58:45 pm
Ended up listening to Radio 2 today. Always dismissed this as for old cunts like Jasper, Lagers and Tomtom and not for us young 'uns, but they actually played a lot of records I remember from my early childhood, and I enjoyed it.

A: I take exception to being bracketed with the over 40s (for another year and 10 months anyway).

B: Radio 2 is generally shit and for old cunts. I heard a bit of Steve Wright ("Hi Steve, love the show) In The Afternoon by mistake the other day. What the fucking hell is this man still doing on prime time radio being allowed to broadcst the same crap he did on Radio 1 in 1988. It was totally awful then and hasn't improved. I was so dumbstruck by the level of shitness that it took me over a minute to realise what was happening and turn the radio back to 6 music.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#20 Re: The end of an era....
August 17, 2012, 03:26:56 pm
I went to the Fantazia Northern Uproar at The Arches last December, just for the Industrial Strength gabber room, and it was great  :wall:

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: The end of an era....
August 17, 2012, 03:39:52 pm

INSULTED!!!!!

I'd rather eat Lagers undercrackers than listen to R2.

Look out, as now you've started listening Stallioni, next step is reading the daily Express - then you'll start voting UKIP and farting foid gras.

6Music* is the station of choice for early middle aged cunts like me who like to pretend they are still vaguely in touch and not past it yet. They should re-name it RadioNME...

*apart from Shaun Keaveney, who I would love to see cast adrift in a small boat in the middle of a rough Atlantic along with Chris Evans, Terry Wogan and Russel Brand.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#22 Re: The end of an era....
August 17, 2012, 08:54:37 pm
keep your shirt on grandad.

It was this morning and some bloke called Bruce who sounded like Wogan was playing Dean Martin and Elvis.

Will have to try 6Music when I get a bit older too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 The end of an era....
August 17, 2012, 09:03:29 pm
You might prefer 1xtra... ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal