UKBouldering.com

Abudctor Pollicis Longus...I think (Read 1596 times)

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
Abudctor Pollicis Longus...I think
August 10, 2012, 10:05:50 am
So, 5 months in since I snapped my A2 in my left ring finger and climbing is going reasonably well...I used to consider myself a route climber who bouldered to see the benefits on routes...since my injury, this seems to have changed.
Originally I thought bouldering would be far more strenuous, but it turns out the opposite is true. The length of a route means that I am continuously opening and closing the finger, which applies further pressure on my A3...it hurts etc...I am strength training and I think it will just take a while...
This thread is about my other forearm however.
I think due to my A2 injury I have been overgripping with my right arm...when it came to routes I started to get a strange and painful "pump" lower down in my forearm...it made me not want to do routes, but guessed it would go away after a while...it didn't.
Last night I was doing some rehab stuff and realised that it is when I pinch or fully crimp - so when my thumb is involved.
Today, it feels as if it is bruised and is painful to pinch anything at all (wide pinch)...the pain is about 3 inches down from my wrist (radius side) on under side of arm...I think this is the Abductor Pollicis Longus?
Anyone have experience with this injury? Usual icing/cold water treatment?
As it has been a niggle that I have felt route climbing and not bouldering, do you think it is a small tear?

Cheers,

Robin

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Abudctor Pollicis Longus...I think
August 10, 2012, 12:09:37 pm

the pain is about 3 inches down from my wrist (radius side) on under side of arm

do you mean the upper (i.e. the thumb side of your wrist)?  This is the radial aspect or do you mean the little finger aspect of your wrist, the under side (the ulnar aspect). 

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#2 Re: Abudctor Pollicis Longus...I think
August 10, 2012, 01:03:28 pm
If my finger tips were pointing to the sky: thumb side and three inches from wrist.
I'm assuming it will be the radial aspect...

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Abudctor Pollicis Longus...I think
August 10, 2012, 05:09:45 pm
ah i get you, so the pain is on the palmar side of your wrist?

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#4 Re: Abudctor Pollicis Longus...I think
August 12, 2012, 10:23:37 am
Hi Tim, yes on the pulmar side. Thanks for helping

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal