UKBouldering.com

Car prang advice (Read 8112 times)

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 05:08:55 pm
Any advice appreciated please peeps.
I come up to a t junction, (me joining the road).
There is a guy waiting to turn out in front of me, no indicator, but on the middle of the road - i.e. it appeared pretty clear he was going right.
He is so far in the middle of the road, it was easy and not a hard decision for me to pull up alongside on the left of him in order to turn left. I must of been there alongside him for a minute waiting for traffic. Suddenly he turns left into my driver side front fender and has fucked his and mine.

He obviously thinks its my fault, I'm not sure - part of me wants to hold my hand up as he was there first, but another bit of me thinks:

He was so in the middle of the fucking road (i could get my estate up on the left of him no problem) any normal person would assume he was going right. Also shouldn't he still of looked left and seen me there in my big blue family estate.
To complicate things a samaritan came over (obviously had looked after the bang) to say she has seen me 'squeeze up the inside and ram him, although I had been alongside about a minute.

Whats the consensus:
Have I assumed too much and should hold my hand up?
Or is he a complete dick, who shouldn't of been in the middle of the road, should of looked and should of indicated.

Thanks

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#1 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 05:17:07 pm
Any advice appreciated please peeps.
I come up to a t junction, (me joining the road).
There is a guy waiting to turn out in front of me, no indicator, but on the middle of the road - i.e. it appeared pretty clear he was going right.
He is so far in the middle of the road, it was easy and not a hard decision for me to pull up alongside on the left of him in order to turn left. I must of been there alongside him for a minute waiting for traffic. Suddenly he turns left into my driver side front fender and has fucked his and mine.

He obviously thinks its my fault, I'm not sure - part of me wants to hold my hand up as he was there first, but another bit of me thinks:

He was so in the middle of the fucking road (i could get my estate up on the left of him no problem) any normal person would assume he was going right. Also shouldn't he still of looked left and seen me there in my big blue family estate.
To complicate things a samaritan came over (obviously had looked after the bang) to say she has seen me 'squeeze up the inside and ram him, although I had been alongside about a minute.

Whats the consensus:
Have I assumed too much and should hold my hand up?
Or is he a complete dick, who shouldn't of been in the middle of the road, should of looked and should of indicated.

Thanks

This one's got nothing to do with me, yer honour!

abarro81

• forum hero
#2 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 05:17:50 pm
What vehicle were they in? In my van I'm often not quite where I'd be in a car for turning (closer to middle of road for turning L in the van). I presume the bigger the vehicle the bigger the effect. Anyway, I suspect it's your fault legally irrespective of the moral blame.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 05:23:48 pm
What vehicle were they in? In my van I'm often not quite where I'd be in a car for turning (closer to middle of road for turning L in the van). I presume the bigger the vehicle the bigger the effect. Anyway, I suspect it's your fault legally irrespective of the moral blame.

Really?  Sounds as though Snoops was stationary and the other guy pulled off to go left and hit him.  How can a stationary car be at fault?

I'd imagine the damage to the vehicles would verify who hit who as would any pictures taken at the scene (always wise to have camera/phone in car for such situations).

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 05:32:27 pm

I reversed over a brand new Harley Davidson in my van, he'd come so close to my rear bumper  in the middle of a reversing manoeuvre that I couldn't see him. Due to the noisy twin carb engine I couldn't hear him either as I flattened his new forks  :oops:

Basically, the insurance company will decide and whatever they say you're going to have a hard time arguing with them about the alternative. If the damage is on the rear of his car and the front of yours, I'd suspect he's going to win this one.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 05:34:02 pm
If he wasn't indicating, I'm pretty sure it will count as being his fault due to the road positions. Make sketches and diagrams. It'll be obvious from the impact angles that you didn't ram him and the "eye"-witness may well be talking out of his arse. Good luck!

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 05:39:53 pm
How can a stationary car be at fault?

Hadn't thought of it like that... 
However... If you were to pull out in front of someone on a road without enough room/time, then stop very quickly, and then they hit you, it would presumably be your fault irrespective of whether you're stationary or not since you pulled into their path and right of way without enough time for them to stop. Unlike if the same thing occurred but when there was enough room/time to safely pull out, and then you stopped, in which case they should have had enough time to stop themselves and it would presumably be their fault. So I guess the time factor may play a role. Although actually, if they're starting from stationary themselves then there's no argument about whether there was enough time to stop, so it probably would be their fault... hmm... I really don't know now

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 05:41:30 pm

I reversed over a brand new Harley Davidson in my van, he'd come so close to my rear bumper  in the middle of a reversing manoeuvre that I couldn't see him. Due to the noisy twin carb engine I couldn't hear him either as I flattened his new forks  :oops:

Basically, the insurance company will decide and whatever they say you're going to have a hard time arguing with them about the alternative. If the damage is on the rear of his car and the front of yours, I'd suspect he's going to win this one.

He was in a vauxhall hatchback. the damage to his car is his passenger front fender (not rear) , we've basically been alongside and he's turned left.

SamT

• forum hero
#8 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 06:34:23 pm
Did you take a photo of the car positions/damage after?  If so, my gut instinct is that he's in the wrong and you should be able to convince the  insurance feds of that.  If not, its your word against his and who knows the outcome

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 07:29:07 pm
It's totally the other driver's fault. You were stationary and he rammed you.  He obviously hadn't looked to check if the space where he was turning into was still clear. What if a cyclist had come up the inside and he'd done the same thing, they might be dead now.

The problem might be the witnesses version of events. Have you made the insurance claim yet?

I know of somebody in the same boat who just got a mate to act as another "witness" to back up his side of the story but this of course is illegal.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 08:18:57 pm
It's totally the other driver's fault. You were stationary and he rammed you.  He obviously hadn't looked to check if the space where he was turning into was still clear. What if a cyclist had come up the inside and he'd done the same thing, they might be dead now.

The problem might be the witnesses version of events. Have you made the insurance claim yet?

I know of somebody in the same boat who just got a mate to act as another "witness" to back up his side of the story but this of course is illegal.

That cyclist bit is a really good point. I was feeling slightly unsure as he was there before me, but at the end of the day he didn't look, and irrespective of the 'witness' my damage is on the side of the car not the front so it should be fairly clear he turned into me. It still puzzles me why he was a car width and then some over to the middle of the road in order to turn left, must of thought he was a ferry driver or something.

I've called the insurance company. So in hand now. Only prob is to try and get the car fixed before kids camping trip to france next week. Anyone know a decent body shop west sheffield? Insurance company want me to go to the 'car clinic', which a quick google reveals looks a bit shit.

underground

• forum hero
#11 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 09:22:22 pm
Is the car clinic in Dronny? If so, and you are this side of the city, have a google for a place at Callywhite lane industrial estate.

I also recall John Bee on Abbeydale Road near Carter Knowle road being good, I was always taking pranged vans there when i worked for an access company.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Car prang advice
July 23, 2012, 10:40:36 pm
However... If you were to pull out in front of someone on a road without enough room/time, then stop very quickly, and then they hit you, it would presumably be your fault irrespective of whether you're stationary or not since you pulled into their path and right of way without enough time for them to stop.

You'd think but it doesn't work like this. If you've hit the car from the rear insurance companies treat it as if you're at fault. Think about that next time a f*cktard pulls out at the last minute.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#13 Re: Car prang advice
July 24, 2012, 08:28:03 am
Is the car clinic in Dronny? If so, and you are this side of the city, have a google for a place at Callywhite lane industrial estate.

I also recall John Bee on Abbeydale Road near Carter Knowle road being good, I was always taking pranged vans there when i worked for an access company.

I've also heard they are good - they are however, also expensive: if you're being expected to pay then might be worth looking elsewhere - if it's an insurance job then worth following up.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Car prang advice
July 24, 2012, 08:38:34 am

I've also heard they are good - they are however, also expensive: if you're being expected to pay then might be worth looking elsewhere - if it's an insurance job then worth following up.

Which of the two suggestions are expensive, or are both?

I've a mate who always has panel work done by John Bee and rates the quality of their work highly.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Re: Car prang advice
July 24, 2012, 09:08:43 am
Pretty confident that you win based on what you've said. Contrib unlikely. Take photos of the damage.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Re: Car prang advice
July 24, 2012, 09:26:29 am
[American - English translator] fender = wing [/translator]
I think its basically your word against his or in your case, your word against his plus a witness who seems to side with the other bloke.
Whats the damage? dented wing? can't you just pull it out or knock it out.
For a dinted body panel I won't bother going through your insurance

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#17 Re: Car prang advice
July 24, 2012, 10:05:53 am

sorry. Only read the bottom bit.

John Bee [relatively] expensive.

But then, none of it is particularly cheap anyway.

Which of the two suggestions are expensive, or are both?

I've a mate who always has panel work done by John Bee and rates the quality of their work highly.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#18 Re: Car prang advice
July 24, 2012, 10:46:20 am
However... If you were to pull out in front of someone on a road without enough room/time, then stop very quickly, and then they hit you, it would presumably be your fault irrespective of whether you're stationary or not since you pulled into their path and right of way without enough time for them to stop.

You'd think but it doesn't work like this. If you've hit the car from the rear insurance companies treat it as if you're at fault. Think about that next time a f*cktard pulls out at the last minute.

Usually. But.

I was involved in a fairly minor shunt that resulted in both cars (of quite low value) being written off. I was in the right hand lane of a 40mph city dual carriageway in free flowing, spaced traffic. A nugget on the inside pulled out into my lane giving me no room to maneuver and I pranged the front left of my car into the back right of his. All witnesses ran off for their dinner.

He claimed he was in may lane for "20 seconds" and I was just going so fast that I smashed him up.  I managed to argue (due to the damage and the narrow lanes) that the resulting damage was physically impossible to achieve from his version.

Therefore, I won and he paid.

Always worth fighting.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#19 Re: Car prang advice
July 24, 2012, 10:48:49 am
The paranoid part of me wonders if this is a stitichup with a convenient witness goving a bollocks report to back up what sounds like a grey area.

However if it was they would usually do it with something more clean cut.

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Car prang advice
July 24, 2012, 11:15:55 am
The paranoid part of me wonders if this is a stitichup with a convenient witness goving a bollocks report to back up what sounds like a grey area.

However if it was they would usually do it with something more clean cut.

The stitch up part would be if they were claiming for personal injury.. (whiplash etc..) the material cost/gain is buttons..

If you're ever in an accident, and the other party starts acting like a cnut/agressive wanker etc.. then just call the police and tell them you've been in an accident and the other party stinks of booze. They'll be there quicker than Del Boy could say toute suite..

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#21 Re: Car prang advice
July 31, 2012, 08:48:21 am

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#22 Re: Car prang advice
August 05, 2012, 11:58:36 am
i had a ding pulling out from a side street when someone thought it was ok to drive down the wrong side of the road so he didnt have to wait in standing traffic. this was at the brow of a hill, coming up to traffic lights and junctions, all places youre not allowed to overtake. when it came to the insurance he just lied and said he was passing a parked car, which was impossible. as the claim wasnt much my insurance refused to fight it, as would cost more, so i lost my ncb!!! its not always simple as you think. id find a witness asap who saw him pull in to you.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Car prang advice
August 06, 2012, 03:44:48 pm
i had a ding pulling out from a side street when someone thought it was ok to drive down the wrong side of the road so he didnt have to wait in standing traffic. this was at the brow of a hill, coming up to traffic lights and junctions, all places youre not allowed to overtake. when it came to the insurance he just lied and said he was passing a parked car, which was impossible. as the claim wasnt much my insurance refused to fight it, as would cost more, so i lost my ncb!!! its not always simple as you think. id find a witness asap who saw him pull in to you.

You could of course have fought this yourself: there's nothing stopping you taking them to court over your no claims bonus, yourself?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal