UKBouldering.com

Resting on a climb (Read 1758 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Resting on a climb
July 07, 2012, 10:05:24 am
I've never really known how to rest whilst lead climbing on an overhang and wondered if anyone could advise me.

Straight arm and relax muscles? Should you try to have your arm coming a certain angle out of your body, ie perpendicular or whatever? Relax the grip as much as possible?

I'm not climbing hard routes by any means but after mainly bouldering for a while I'm just getting my stamina back but haven't done much steep lead climbing before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
James

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: Resting on a climb
July 10, 2012, 03:22:55 pm
Straight arm and relax muscles? Should you try to have your arm coming a certain angle out of your body, ie perpendicular or whatever? Relax the grip as much as possible?

^^^ This, obviously, plus try to relax whole body, get weight onto feet (or other non-arm appendages), shake out arms alternately if you can't rest both, shake out plenty to get blood flow flushing out lactic acid, and KEEP BREATHING.

dk

• regular
  • C'est tres bon
#2 Re: Resting on a climb
July 23, 2012, 02:25:52 pm
Its also worth looking down rather than up as this reduces stress on your muscles and can help psychologically. Another bit of advise I got told is to not clip immediately when you reach a rest and clip as that is essentially adding another move to the sequence i.e. its better to rest up first, clip, rest a little bit more then carry on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal