UKBouldering.com

Hartland and Northcott (Read 4265 times)

b3n99

• stalker
Hartland and Northcott
June 29, 2012, 02:48:36 pm
Does anybody have any information on how these fair after rain and what they're like at the moment? Particularly interested in the carnage/supercede wall, cheers.

TN080

• regular
#1 Re: Hartland and Northcott
June 30, 2012, 09:41:25 am
Both get wet daily from the sea anyway. To find it dry all you need is a good offshore breeze. However, it is possible to climb on most stuff at hartland without a strong wind as long as it isnt raining (ache ball stays dry in rain, if it is alreay dry). You just need to take a couple of towels and a sponge, plus plenty of chalk. Once you have dry off a problem it should generally be ok to climb on without seeping through. Yet, Carnage and Ache Ball suffer the most from seepage but with effort can be climbable. (Both have been done in the past few days despite the horrid weather). Northcott is similar but red quinne cave and J-lo suffer from staying wet from the tide unless the wind is fairly strong, and are less reliable than the stuff at hartland.

To get the most relaible conditions you want to go when the swell is small, tides are neaps (half moons) and the wind is up. And evening sessions are better for catching the sun. I allways check http://magicseaweed.com/Bude-Crooklets-Surf-Report/6/

Dont let this put you off, it is possible to climb something most days, the above is just the preffered conditions if that makes sense. Hope is of help.

Duma

• forum hero
#2 Re: Hartland and Northcott
July 04, 2012, 09:23:09 pm
Dont let this put you off, it is possible to climb something most days.
Tom heeds his own advice, it would seem

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Hartland and Northcott
July 04, 2012, 10:45:25 pm
Just bear in mind that if Tom turns up at a crag, no matter what the conditions he will climb!!!!  :lol:

If you are going to get on supercede, I would advise taking a three step ladder to dry off the crux holds, also take a spotter, and at least three pads, its a little intimidating! My limited experience of climbing on the north coast is that its definitely worth going down and checking no matter what the weather is doing (if it is wet be careful walking down it can get hellish slippy). My advice would be get down to the block as soon as you can (after the tide starts going out), chalk and dry the holds (even if gupping wet), leave it for 1/2 hour and it starts getting pretty dry.

I would say Cornwall/Devon coast is probably the best shout at the moment in the UK weather wise, just remember the blocks get wet everyday so they do dry quick.

If you have a little bit of time down that way I would defo go check out Tintagel and Pentire, they are great locations and sum ace climbs.

WARNING: Supercede Sit is a KING UK line!!!

simonfish2000

#4 Re: Hartland and Northcott
July 12, 2012, 10:26:53 pm
If you have a little bit of time down that way I would defo go check out Tintagel and Pentire, they are great locations and sum ace climbs.

Do you know of any topos/ guides for bouldering in these areas? I've found loads of references to named routes, but i havn't a clue where any of them are!

Duma

• forum hero

simonfish2000

#6 Re: Hartland and Northcott
July 13, 2012, 11:02:10 am
Looks like I'll be working the 7as then! theres no info on the routes below 7a then?

grimer

• forum hero
#7 Re: Hartland and Northcott
July 13, 2012, 12:27:50 pm
That article about Tintagel isn't the easieast to get info out of but I can email you the pages from Boulder Britain guide if you want (thanks to TN080 for the info in it). What's your email?

Duma

• forum hero
#8 Re: Hartland and Northcott
July 13, 2012, 04:40:58 pm
It's not a full topo. there's mentions of at least three lines below 7A if you look at the links in that thread.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#9 Re: Hartland and Northcott
July 13, 2012, 05:20:49 pm
There's 11 4s + 5s and 11 6s in Grimers book. So there's definitely plenty to go at there for none 7s climbers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal