UKBouldering.com

Eva Lopez Training plans (Read 217221 times)

Tommy

• junky
#175 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 09:44:43 pm

All local (muscular) endurance is 'strength endurance', and is generally referred to as such outside of climbing.

Isn't that exactly how Binney tests climbing endurance, with supposedly a high correlation?

Not metabolically increased but increased nonetheless.
Lopez herself doesn't advocate just strength training, and she points out that finger strength is only (she estimates) 20-30% of the picture.

1. Yes, but the term in this case is misleading as everyone will think that their endurance will increase in their climbing. It won't.

2. No, he tests at a much lower force and the muscle is allowed to relax intermittently, hence it's better correlated to endurance (or aerobic capacity if you prefer that). Eva's test is strength endurance and more of a measure of Anaerobic capacity as the test will require the muscles anaerobically. 

3. Absolutely.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#176 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:00:22 pm

1. Yes, but the term in this case is misleading as everyone will think that their endurance will increase in their climbing. It won't.

That's a big claim to make.

2. No, he tests at a much lower force and the muscle is allowed to relax intermittently, hence it's better correlated to endurance (or aerobic capacity if you prefer that).

He still tests on an ~11mm edge which was my point.

Tommy

• junky
#177 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:05:05 pm
Yup, I love a big claim. I doubt anyone out there will improve their endurance by doing ~5 x 10sec of max hangs. I suppose it depends on your definition of endurance though. I'd like to see you argue for it  ;)

Dave's edge is quite a bit more than 11mm. It's most definitely not close maximal force, which is my point. And it most definitely has rests.

Serpico

• forum hero
#178 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:05:58 pm

And this after just 3 sessions in 9 days!

I and others have seen rapid gains, but there's no way such quick gains are muscular, it's even very quick for neural gains. It's going to be more interesting to see what happens after 2 or 3 cycles of the programme, I'm betting there's going to be some plateauing and subsequent adjustment needed.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#179 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:14:39 pm
I'm interested to see if some gains are twmporary due to reduced volume pushing people towards a bit of a peak

Im sure you do reach a Peak at the end of the cycle as you would in any specific training with a dip afterwards. The challenge is to build to a higher peak next time - wave theory and all that. In fact Eva made this point (it's taken me a good ten minutes to find it)

In my research, we observed that finger strength and endurance improved a lot after 4 weeks, but only a bit more in week 10, 2 weeks after the end of training in week 8; this shows us the importance of rest and/or tapering in strength training.

However, in week 12, or 4 weeks later the last deadhang session, all gains in finger strength and endurance were lost.

This is of course rather scary and points to the bigger challenge of building and sustaining the gains as part of a periodised programme.

Chatting with Zippy he made the point that these sort of early big gains can only be neural. This suggests that continued gains will require some form of complementary training to stimulate forearm hypertrophy.

I expect to start fretting about this more in three weeks time but am enjoying the current ride whilst it lasts.   

Serpico

• forum hero
#180 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:15:07 pm
Yup, I love a big claim. I doubt anyone out there will improve their endurance by doing ~5 x 10sec of max hangs. I suppose it depends on your definition of endurance though. I'd like to see you argue for it  ;)

Firstly they're not max hangs, but that's beside the point. That sort of duration of isometric tension has a well researched history of increasing maximum strength, if you increase maximal strength you increase submaximal endurance by increasing strength headroom. Good review with refs here.

Dave's edge is quite a bit more than 11mm. It's most definitely not close maximal force, which is my point. And it most definitely has rests.

I've no idea how big without checking Dave's or Eva's edges are, you were making a point about endurance testing not being done on a wooden edge, I was making the point that that's exactly what Binney does.

Dr T

• forum hero
#181 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:18:08 pm

And this after just 3 sessions in 9 days!

I and others have seen rapid gains, but there's no way such quick gains are muscular, it's even very quick for neural gains. It's going to be more interesting to see what happens after 2 or 3 cycles of the programme, I'm betting there's going to be some plateauing and subsequent adjustment needed.

I'm sure there's a good deal of that - I have been doing a fair bit of fingerboarding/weighted pulls recently anyways (and this is a kind of merging of the two) so maybe I'm seeing the extension of that..

Knowing about plateauing is going to be difficult to be completely scientific about seeing as I'm gonna be thinning the holds on subsequent cycles (it'll have to be against existing problems on my board instead) but I'm certainly going to try and keep it in mind

Chatting with Zippy he made the point that these sort of early big gains can only be neural. This suggests that continued gains will require some form of complementary training to stimulate forearm hypertrophy.

I've been backing it up the following day with a big board session so maybe.....

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#182 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:21:44 pm
I've no idea how big without checking Dave's or Eva's edges are, you were making a point about endurance testing not being done on a wooden edge, I was making the point that that's exactly what Binney does.

Weren't his endurance tests on an edge with feet on ?   

Serpico

• forum hero
#183 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:24:59 pm
Feet on the edge, or the edge has feet?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#184 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:28:37 pm
Feet on the edge, or the edge has feet?

:)

The device I saw him using down the Foundry some time ago had footholds (ie not footless) then you alternated hands on an edge shaking out to measure endurance.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#185 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:32:06 pm

Why would they have to be only neural?  I would assume that there is a component of both muscle strength gain and nueral improvement.  I had been doing a significant amount of different deadhangs for the last 6 months, and I would guess many of us have as well.  It's not like we're untrained athletes. 

Maybe I'm stretching, but I don't buy it that they can only be neural.....

Edit: Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by neural....

Tommy

• junky
#186 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:35:02 pm

Firstly they're not max hangs, but that's beside the point. That sort of duration of isometric tension has a well researched history of increasing maximum strength, if you increase maximal strength you increase submaximal endurance by increasing strength headroom. Good review with refs here.

Your point has little relevance to the training people will do and their endurance training. It's just scientific wanking (which I'm also guilty of at times) which doesn't help.

Re: Dave. It's all getting lost in translation somewhere. You have your point, I have mine and we're probably agreeing with each other, it just going nowhere on an internet forum.

Serpico

• forum hero
#187 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:36:19 pm

Why would they have to be only neural?  I would assume that there is a component of both muscle strength gain and neural improvement. 

Because of the time scale involved, you're looking at physical gains after about 4 weeks. It may be that part of these early big gains might also be down to pulley stretching, I think I've linked to something on this subject either earlier on this thread or a similar thread.

Dr T

• forum hero
#188 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:45:14 pm

Why would they have to be only neural?  I would assume that there is a component of both muscle strength gain and neural improvement. 

Because of the time scale involved, you're looking at physical gains after about 4 weeks. It may be that part of these early big gains might also be down to pulley stretching, I think I've linked to something on this subject either earlier on this thread or a similar thread.

Perhaps I should have measured my forearms before I started and the day after each session - forearm circumference is meant to be a pretty good indicator of hypertrophy

Maybe someone who hasn't started yet could do it....

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#189 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:46:35 pm

Isn't this a case of margins again?  Some percentage of your initial gains are neural, some physical, with the amount of each shifting over the 4 week cycle so that the gains in the first week are mainly neural, the gains in the last week mainly physical. 

For example (totally hypothetical):

Gains
Week    Physical      Neural
   1           10%          90%
   2           30%          70%
   3           50%          50%
   4           70%          30%
   5           90%          10%

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#190 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 10:47:23 pm
Perhaps I should have measured my forearms before I started and the day after each session - forearm circumference is meant to be a pretty good indicator of hypertrophy

Maybe someone who hasn't started yet could do it....
I had the same thought.  I just started a second cycle, so maybe I'll do it now and see what it shows.

abarro81

• forum hero
#191 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 11:18:14 pm

In my search, we observed that finger strength and endurance improved a lot after 4 weeks, but only a bit more in week 10, 2 weeks after the end of training in week 8; this shows us the importance of rest and/or tapering in strength training.

However, in week 12, or 4 weeks later the last deadhang session, all gains in finger strength and endurance were lost.

The real question is what were the.climbers doing in those 4 weeks? If bouldering and they lost all their 'gains' then the gains sound crappy and somehow not 'real'. If nothing then of course they were shit after 4 weeks doing nothing..

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#192 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 11:39:43 pm
The real question is what were the.climbers doing in those 4 weeks? If bouldering and they lost all their 'gains' then the gains sound crappy and somehow not 'real'. If nothing then of course they were shit after 4 weeks doing nothing..

I'm hoping a forward thinking Sheffield Wall will invest in one of the Fingerboards and poster so I can find out what to do next to manage the dip so all these lovely gains aren't permanently flushed down the toilet.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#193 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 25, 2012, 11:45:54 pm

Even if they do go away, they may be good if you are planning a trip and trying to peak for said trip....  Let's see what happens.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#194 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 26, 2012, 07:28:31 am
Could a person really stay 4 weeks without fingerboarding?
Seems very unreal to me.
 :wavecry:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#195 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 09:47:29 am
Eva has edited one paragraph of her blog today. It was her second blog post dated Feb 14th titled: "Why progression®? "

Original version:
In my research, I found that increasing maximum finger strength also increases finger endurance without performing finger endurance training. Also, that this gain is bigger than the one obtained by training only finger endurance without previously having developed a high enough level of maximum finger strength

Edited and extended version:
In my research, I found that increasing maximum finger strength also increases finger endurance without performing finger endurance training. Also, that this gain is bigger than the one obtained by training only finger endurance without previously having developed a high enough level of maximum finger strength.  Also, for climbers with a lower level of maximum strength who want to train specifically their finger strength-endurance, the gains in the latter -as measured by a test of maximum time on an 11 mm edge- will be greater if they first improve their finger maximum strength than if they start training their finger strength-endurance right away (unpublished data, manuscript in preparation). (Edited 2012-07-26 because previous paragraph was incomplete and ambiguous-->Thank you very much to my attentive readers ;-))

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#196 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 09:55:08 am
Paul has also been pumping her for info via Twitter  :thumbsup: and she posted her response on Facebook which for the record is:

@BrokenBennett asked me via twitter: I would like to know (or understand) what you're saying regarding very small edges. Does your method transfer below X mm?

MY ANSWER:
Look, no exercise transfers to everything, and no correlation in biomedic science is perfect, or equal to 1. This means that one variable can explain part of the variance of another, but never 100% of it. This is why I just can say that there is a correlation (0,79 to be exact) between maximum added weight on a 15 mm edge for 5 seconds and maximum time on a 10 mm edge. There is another interesting and logical result that I found in another study that will be included in my thesis: there is correlation between maximum time in 10 mm and time in 8 and 12 mm; these in turn have correlation with 6 and 14 mm respectively. However, no measure could predict the performance for all edge depths.
Lastly, apart from external factors like heat and moisture, when it comes to edges < 5 mm, Bourne et al. (2011) have found a greater relation with anatomical factors, and even skin quality, than with maximum strength. Other authors like MacLeod et al. (2007) have noted the importance of precison in the application of force. Anyway, several authors (Mermier et al., 2000; Balas et al., 2011) have observed that the training variable has great influence on climbing performance, as you will undoubtedly know from your own experience. Best regards and thank you for your interest.

BrokenBennett asked me via twitter: I'd like to know how you advocate adding weight, 70% bodyweight from a harness feels very bad for me.

MY ANSWER:
70% bodyweight is a general approximation, a maximum recommended for male climbers that I have estimated after having supervised the training of more than 50 climbers. But it's always better to figure out your own personal threshold. I have observed people who can hold less weight (about 50% BW) and others wo can hold more (about 80% BW). Trust your sensations and try to use less weight than your back or skin can take. Best regards

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#197 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 10:21:27 am
MY ANSWER:
Look, no exercise transfers to everything, and no correlation in biomedic science is perfect, or equal to 1. This means that one variable can explain part of the variance of another, but never 100% of it. This is why I just can say that there is a correlation (0,79 to be exact) between maximum added weight on a 15 mm edge for 5 seconds and maximum time on a 10 mm edge. There is another interesting and logical result that I found in another study that will be included in my thesis: there is correlation between maximum time in 10 mm and time in 8 and 12 mm; these in turn have correlation with 6 and 14 mm respectively. However, no measure could predict the performance for all edge depths.

Perhaps its poor wording, but that sounds very unusual from a statistical stand-point.

I'd be interested to see if she done anything more sophisticated than simply calculate correlation coefficients with her data.

abarro81

• forum hero
#198 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 12:13:55 pm
To summarise:
Getting strong on certain sizes of holds transfers best to similar holds. (Who would have thought it)
Steve is cheating because pulling on tiny edges is all genetics and thus everything with small holds should be given 7a (morpho). Sorted.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#199 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
July 27, 2012, 12:52:00 pm
Steve is cheating because pulling on tiny edges is all genetics and thus everything with small holds should be given 7a (morpho). Sorted.

Dont forget cheating Robin Barker's prehensile finger ends.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal