UKBouldering.com

Eva Lopez Training plans (Read 216364 times)

frankstoneline

#400 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 08, 2013, 01:49:27 am
Been lurking this thread for a couple weeks, figure i ought to post up.
Sort of delayed new years resolution or whatever, get more consistent on the training end of things.
Have some oak rungs hung up, and was intrigued by this training plan as I can get it done in the morning before I head to work or what have you, I schedule ~25 minutes for it.
I'm doing my hangs on a half inch rung (I think thats ~14mm in europeland). When I started 2 or 3 weeks ago, I was fighting to do a full workout at body weight, tonight I was up to +12% bodyweight. Feeling good about it, will check in some more when I've been at it a bit longer.
My long term plan is to do another ~4 weeks, 2-3 sessions/week, then switch to body weight repeaters on the 10mm rung, then come back to weighted hangs I think. We'll see how I feel in a few.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#401 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 20, 2013, 05:30:26 pm
any interest in a spreadsheet for this?

Basic template knocked up in 10 minutes.
Not really sure what else could be added to it, but feel free to copy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiwIRWRTR-y7dDliQW4xUjlGeFBackM0ajlxemVzRHc#gid=0

If you have any ideas for additions, shout.

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#402 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 21, 2013, 03:00:22 am
Nice, I made a copy. Thanks!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#403 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 27, 2013, 01:11:28 pm
For those who train near a computer or something with iOs on I've made this
http://www.intervaltimer.com/timers/1822305
3 warm up sets, 5 work sets. 3 min rest between the sets, and 20 s before next set starts there is a warning beep.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#404 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 27, 2013, 04:27:52 pm
So after doing several rounds of these style of hangs intermixed with a couple of repeater cycles, and seeing significant improvements, I blew an A2 pulley.  This got me thinking a bit.  Before I got injured, I was reading a piece from a gymnast trainer, and they talked about how after a build cycle, they would always incorporate an undertraining cycle. 

The gist of the undertraining cycle was to allow your body to adapt and get used to the new level of strength so that it became your new "normal".  This seems pretty important to me, and I see alot of benefit in this.  My plan(once the pulley heals) is to incorporate a 4 week "undertraining" cycle after two 4 week build cycles.  This cycle will continue doing the hangs, but at a constant weight and reps for all 4 weeks.  I'll use this 4 weeks to focus on other strength such as deadlifts  ;D

Thoughts?

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#405 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 27, 2013, 05:33:54 pm
So after doing several rounds of these style of hangs intermixed with a couple of repeater cycles, and seeing significant improvements, I blew an A2 pulley.  This got me thinking a bit.  Before I got injured, I was reading a piece from a gymnast trainer, and they talked about how after a build cycle, they would always incorporate an undertraining cycle. 

The gist of the undertraining cycle was to allow your body to adapt and get used to the new level of strength so that it became your new "normal".  This seems pretty important to me, and I see alot of benefit in this.  My plan(once the pulley heals) is to incorporate a 4 week "undertraining" cycle after two 4 week build cycles.  This cycle will continue doing the hangs, but at a constant weight and reps for all 4 weeks.  I'll use this 4 weeks to focus on other strength such as deadlifts  ;D

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting, during the undertraining cycle what would the weight be? The high point you got to during the build cycle or a reduced weight?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#406 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 27, 2013, 06:52:23 pm
[quote author=Sasquatch link=topic=20341.msg397537#msg397537 date=1361982472 My plan(once the pulley heals) is to incorporate a 4 week "undertraining" cycle after two 4 week build cycle

Thoughts?
[/quote]

The lazy climber's training method of choice just got easier  :dance1:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#407 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 28, 2013, 02:49:52 pm
It would be at a slightly reduced weight consistently, if not someone needs a good talking to

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#408 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 28, 2013, 08:24:44 pm
My plan(once the pulley heals) is to incorporate a 4 week "undertraining" cycle after two 4 week build cycle

Thoughts?

The lazy climber's training method of choice just got easier  :dance1:

:guilty:    :smartass:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#409 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 28, 2013, 08:29:02 pm
Sounds interesting, during the undertraining cycle what would the weight be? The high point you got to during the build cycle or a reduced weight?

Dunno,  I was figuring pretty close to where I stopped during the build phase, not really reducing. 

Anyone think it would be better to space these "plateau" weeks more frequently?  For example any thoughts on wether/why it might be better to do 2 weeks build-1 week steady, vs 8 weeks build-4weeks steady.  My gut says the longer cycle would be better, but I'm not sure why.....

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#411 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 28, 2013, 08:46:30 pm
Yes!! That's it.  I couldn't remember what it was called.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#412 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 28, 2013, 08:48:49 pm
good! Try the link again -I've tweaked it.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#413 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
March 01, 2013, 10:15:04 am
Dunno,  I was figuring pretty close to where I stopped during the build phase, not really reducing. 

Anyone think it would be better to space these "plateau" weeks more frequently?  For example any thoughts on wether/why it might be better to do 2 weeks build-1 week steady, vs 8 weeks build-4weeks steady.  My gut says the longer cycle would be better, but I'm not sure why.....

I think 2 week build - 1 week steady may be a good idea to reduce injury risk. I have no idea how this would compare in terms of gains though.

punkpunk

• player
#414 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
March 05, 2013, 06:14:18 pm
Are you guys changing edge size after the first two week rest or just starting where you finished at the end of first 4 weeks?
I did my first four weeks on 18mm was going to switch down to 12mm for next 4 week block?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#415 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
March 05, 2013, 08:27:57 pm
Are you guys changing edge size after the first two week rest or just starting where you finished at the end of first 4 weeks?
I did my first four weeks on 18mm was going to switch down to 12mm for next 4 week block?

I think that sounds a reasonable compromise between dropping down to the smallest edges you can hold unweighted and sticking to the edge you are currently on.

My impression is that the minor variations of approach have all led to similar gains so its not something worth stressing about too much.

punkpunk

• player
#416 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
March 05, 2013, 08:51:16 pm
Nice one, cheers

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#417 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
March 16, 2013, 02:06:44 pm
heh. update from Eva Lopez' fb page:

"Lately I have seen on some online media, that people are starting to use my name in association with dead hangs training with or without added weight ("Lopez protocol", "Ms Lopez's regimen", "Eva Lopez style workout", "Deadhang a la Eva Lopez"... ).
Please, I'd rather you didn't.
Those methods do not belong to me, I'm not even close to being their "inventor"... In science, what some come up with, others build upon to keep advancing. No one should believe or state that they own some piece of knowledge. This would set them apart from the community and impair their progress. Resistance training have been used for a long time now, and they have repeatedly shown their effectiveness in other sports. My thesis director and me have just assessed their suitability for climbing, and their effects. After that we put forward some guidelines to use them, based on the existing relevant literature. And that's all.
Thank you."

So, Lopez Protocol it is, then. =)

dpb

• addict

cha1n

• forum hero
#419 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
April 24, 2013, 06:17:26 pm
Interesting that she recommends not bending the arms. I was under the impression that a slightly bend was better for the elbows...

LB

#420 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
May 18, 2013, 01:39:04 pm
I might have missed this reading through the thread. What is the maximum weight recommended, for the max weight phase, before it is recommended to move to the next rung size down (20mm to 18mm)?

I'm sure I'm nowhere near but I want to make sure. I remember something about 40 (either % or kgs).

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#421 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
May 18, 2013, 02:22:45 pm
Interesting that she recommends not bending the arms. I was under the impression that a slightly bend was better for the elbows...

English isn't her native language so it might just mean dont do frenchies, but not that you shouldnt slightly bend your elbows.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#422 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
May 18, 2013, 04:59:14 pm
I might have missed this reading through the thread. What is the maximum weight recommended, for the max weight phase, before it is recommended to move to the next rung size down (20mm to 18mm)?

I'm sure I'm nowhere near but I want to make sure. I remember something about 40 (either % or kgs).

70% of bodyweight

cha1n

• forum hero
#423 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
May 18, 2013, 10:21:43 pm

English isn't her native language so it might just mean dont do frenchies, but not that you shouldnt slightly bend your elbows.

True but the guy in the videos looked like he was hanging straight armed.

LB

#424 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
May 20, 2013, 03:04:25 pm

70% of bodyweight

Ta. 40kg may have been some optimistic mathematics at some point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal