UKBouldering.com

Multi hinged pads (Read 14472 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 12:11:28 pm
So, four or five years ago, I borrowed two pads from a friend of mine to be safer, given that I used to climb on my own 90% of the times. Now he needs them for his home board, and I need to buy a new one, given that I climb on my own 100% of the times!
The ones I'd really like, Moon, POD, are too expensive, but I found this one
http://www.oliunid.it/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&category_id=8&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=133

It's big and not too expensive, but with the two hinges I fear it could be a bit unstable, especially when placed on rocks. I've never used this type of pads, has someone here? I'd like advice. Obviously I think that a non hinged one would be better but they are smaller and less thick...
Thanks.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives

ghisino

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 12:35:25 pm
lore,

i've used exactly the one you posted a few times...unfortunately for you, most of the times over perfectly flat landings!  :slap:

for rocky/uneven landings i'm split between two opinions...
on one side it's true that you don't want to fall right on the hinges, especially not on the one facing upwards.
On the other i think that in some occasions those pads are actually "more stable" than a non-hinged or single-hinged one, ie they tend to conform to the terrain better and if placed right they have less tendancy to move from the initial position...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 12:58:00 pm
Cheers beasts!!!
Thanks for the links Namnok, unfortunately I think that anything coming from abroad would be very expensive due to shipping costs! The Italian website I linked offers free shipping.

Thanks Ghisino, I know what you're talking about... those terrible, flat, sandy landings under the horrible problems of Font... you bastard.
Is the pad in itself any good, respect fabric and foam? And do you know the non hinged version?
This one
http://www.oliunid.it/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=132&category_id=59

I think that having a non hinged pad and a single hinge pad, a two hinges pad could do. I am giving back two pads and getting only one, so the bigger the better.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 01:15:48 pm
Hold on, hold on!
I've found a shop in Milano that sells Moon pads for cheap. I think they are very good, aren't they?
Dobbin, Paul, and many others have one, right? Any comments?
Thanks!!!

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 01:18:23 pm
I like to support British and the foam has massively out-performed that of my previous Metolius pads...

dave

#7 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 02:09:21 pm
To be fair I reckon the foam scourer next to our kitchen sink would outperform most metolius mats.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 04:23:04 pm
you did that without mentiong my weight Dave, how thoughtful.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 04:29:43 pm
Is the pad in itself any good, respect fabric and foam? And do you know the non hinged version?
This one
http://www.oliunid.it/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=132&category_id=59

no, i've only experienced the double hinged one and a single hinged that's now discontinued.

the single hinged was pure crap: marshmallow-soft in 10 days out. Based on my personal experience as well as others'.
Good fabric and bucckles though.

strangely the double hinged one i've seen seems to be much stiffer to start with and to hold much better, but i also have to say that the friend who has one is not the most hardcore boulderer around so the pad is probably receiving less falls and abuse than normal.  puzzling.

moon pads i've fallen on always felt good, imo you can't go wrong with those or with snap.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#10 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 05:27:43 pm
sorry to bother you all, but options keep coming.
I have the chance to get a Mondo for 180 Euros, used by the BD dealer for central Italy for some tests (his words). the guy is a friend of mine, don't think he wants to scr** me.
other option is a new Saturn for 260.
or a new Mondo for 260.

please help me.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#11 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 06:07:06 pm
I reckon, given where you climb most, if you can afford it I'd snap the guys hand off for the cheap mondo, assuming it's not fucked. If that's not for you then I used to have a much older version of the Pad double hinged one and loved it. It was actually useful for uneven landings cos you can fold it round things, and tuck one side under to flatten slopes. Mine got nicked at the same time as our van, but the new ones look even better, and I'd defo have another.

Ps. The spelling on that website you linked to is atrocious! I can barely read a word!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#12 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 06:49:09 pm
assuming it's not fucked.

yes, that's the problem. I think there's no way for me to check the conditions of the foam, I don't know which kind of tests they've done on it, and for how long. I'd have to go and have a look at the exterior anyway, so probably another hassle and money for petrol as well.
Plus, if the pad doesn't behave well, I won't have any chance to send it back and I'd be thinking "that's what you get from used items". So I think the used one is not an option anymore.
I think this time I could spend more to have something I really want to have.
Probably it will be the Saturn, because it's what my British heart tells me, and also because it's in one piece, and because I can stuff it with my 23 pairs of shoes...

anyway, thanks for all the replies, keep the coming!!!

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#13 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 06:59:07 pm
I know others think differently, but in my experience taco pads' foam doesn't last as well as hinged mats. This may not be patriotic, but if I could get a Mondo for the same price as a Saturn I'd go for the Mondo.

Re. the second hand one, I would have said that because the Mondo has such thick foam, you'd be more likely to have issues with the straps etc. tearing before you start bottoming out on it. On my Saturn, the foam has gone along the fold line, and I've bottomed out through this more than once now, but the rest of the foam is fine, whereas several of the straps have ripped.

rodma

• forum hero
#14 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 07:44:10 pm
I have an older Mondo (the franklin one) and some people on here report that the BD one is not the same quality, but I love my mondo and, as Andy B has suggested, am just about to do some repairs to the straps, but the foam is almost as good as new some 5 years into its service.

If it was a Franklin Mondo I'd be telling you to get that. The downside being that the Mondo is (or was) just about the heaviest pad ever made, which is a definite downside. With the Mondo, a small pad and my shoes etc. I'm walking in with about 20kg extra ballast which is not cool at all.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#15 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 07:54:31 pm
Andy, I know what you mean. I've always stored my pad flat, and always carry a lot of things in it, so it stays more rounded than plied and the foam is still very good with no problem or folds.
anyway that's really useful, thanks.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#16 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 18, 2012, 08:19:47 pm
Rodma,
good advice regarding the BD vs Franklin quality, and also the weight. I'll probably be walking with three pads and two bags, so... maybe a little less weight could do! I know that you can't make an omelette without breaking the eggs though.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#17 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 19, 2012, 08:51:27 am
Go for the cheap Mondo. I reckon your mate is selling it at what he paid for it. My guess, is the testing was probably some shop staff using it for a few weeks on holidays. Then you only need to carry two pads, not three.

Stubbs

#18 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 19, 2012, 09:01:01 am
Mondos are amazing,  the extra thickness does definitely add confidence. Is you car big enough to fit it in? Imagine all the extra calories you'll burn carrying a heavier pad  ;) 

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#19 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 19, 2012, 10:48:24 am
Thanks beasts, all valid points.
Another question.
I am 172 cm tall, will the Mondo hit my legs while walking? It really seems massive and I don't know how high the shoulder straps are.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#20 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 20, 2012, 01:25:27 am
From memory the shoulder straps are really low, so it will stick above your head a long way. Many low branches on your walk ins?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#21 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 20, 2012, 06:30:49 am
Thanks Drew. Not many really, I was only afraid it would be too low!!!

rodma

• forum hero
#22 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 20, 2012, 08:53:38 am
Thanks Drew. Not many really, I was only afraid it would be too low!!!

I am a good bit shorter than you and manage ok

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#23 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 20, 2012, 10:19:39 am
nice one!!!

rodma

• forum hero
#24 Re: Multi hinged pads
June 20, 2012, 10:23:54 am
I don't even think it makes me look too hobbity, the galaxy note on the other hand  :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal