UKBouldering.com

Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ... (Read 18347 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 07, 2012, 07:08:48 am
Honnold solos Yossemite Triple Crown. Admits it might be a big deal ...

https://www.facebook.com/REELROCK

:jaw:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:59:56 pm by Bubba, Reason: sorted link out »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 07, 2012, 07:18:01 am
 :o :bow:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 07:30:58 pm

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 07:42:17 pm
SPOILER ALERT

that footslip is horrible!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 07:48:25 pm
Gulp.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 07:51:41 pm
Alex Honnold in "still alive" shocker.

carlisle slapper

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 08:04:33 pm
This blows my mind, soloing for that long and concentrating all the time is hard enough, never mind carrying extra weight and having a camera shoved in your face when your trying not to die on solo-aid transfers.
Does anyone know whether he took a harness or sling etc when onsight soloing fiesta? it would surprise me if he didn't even think about taking one.

Doylo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 08:08:33 pm
I can't even comprehend being the cameraman.....

andy popp

• forum hero
#9 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 08:29:20 pm
I can't even comprehend being the cameraman.....

That.

But I agree with Dan, its not so much the standard of the soloing he's doing here - which many have matched and he's exceeded numerous times - but the sheer volume and the mental and physical demands that come from that.

What's Fiesta - can't place it?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#10 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 08:36:21 pm
fiesta del biceps??

I dont know if the other older members of this forum have the same kind of rather sickening sense of inevitability about people getting caught up in a soloing/ media frenzy?

andy popp

• forum hero
#11 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 08:41:07 pm
Noddy? Dave T? But I was never sure how true it was even of them.

cofe

• forum hero
#12 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 08:45:44 pm
I flinched.

I worry he's on borrowed time, but it's also likely I simply don't understand.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#13 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 09:20:18 pm
Which Noddy? I've climbed with a few good climbers over the years, but I've never seen anyone as comfortable on rock as Alex. I'm pretty sure he's doing the right stuff for the right reasons, but the more the media get involved the harder it has to be to keep it that way.

T_B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 09:29:38 pm
It's certainly up there with Ron's 100 extremes in a day

andy popp

• forum hero
#15 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 09:36:53 pm
Which Noddy? I've climbed with a few good climbers over the years, but I've never seen anyone as comfortable on rock as Alex. I'm pretty sure he's doing the right stuff for the right reasons,

Neil Molnar (sp?) - he died trying to solo an E2 on the Wastad in the mid-80s. A lot people felt it was inevitable - but that was peer pressure rather than the media. There was a lot of soloing going on and perhaps competition in some quarters. This was the age of Jimmy Jewel after all - though I always sensed he was doing it for the right reasons.

On the whole I think Honnold seems pretty sorted but funnily enough I thought he didn't look very comfortable in this clip, but it is one clip chosen for obvious reasons. And maybe not being too comfortable is a good thing now and again.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 11, 2012, 09:44:09 pm
It's certainly up there with Ron's 100 extremes in a day

Not sure it pips the Stanage traverse though. :clown:

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 12, 2012, 06:29:18 am
what a nutcase. i really admire what hes doing but like others have said i just cant comprehend how you could manage to do anything like that and for so long or why you would even want to.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#18 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 12, 2012, 06:31:21 am
I don't know... This video really gave me strange feelings... Seeing him clearly tense, the footslip... It all seemed very "wrong"...
Plus, I read the interview, he said things aout darkness making things more "exciting", and being excited about multipitch soloing is dangerous in mu opinion.

Re. The cameraman, when Alex is not climbing I think he goes and films people getting eaten by crocodiles or sharks.

fried

• forum hero
#19 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 12, 2012, 08:25:22 am
I watched this yesterday with the missus and her first reaction was 'who's filming him?', really unsettling watching something which should probably be kept between you and your god so close.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 12, 2012, 08:54:46 am
should probably be kept between you and your god so close.

I expect its just him and him...

Quote from: Alex Honnold
I’m a militant atheist. I don’t believe in an afterlife or any of that kind of stuff, but then I also don’t really live in the moment that much either. I’m not very Zen. I’m always thinking about the future or the next project and what I’m doing next to the point where I’ve had partners kind of chastise me for not enjoying where I am more. But maybe that’s part of the appeal of soloing because it forces you to exist inside that moment, in that little bubble that you’re living in while you’re doing it.

T_B

• forum hero
#21 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 12, 2012, 08:58:18 am
Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid and I understand how utterly hardcore this us, but I can't help thinking...

1. How is it a "solo" when someone can chuck you a rope (i.e. a photographer)? If he has a wobbler and gets stuck, it won't be long before he is rescued.

2. How can he not be influenced in his decision making by a film crew / massive entourage? The Reel Rock blog says there were 9 separate cameramen. That's a lot of people to disappoint if you decide it doesn't feel quite right on the day.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#22 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 12, 2012, 09:06:19 am

I dont know if the other older members of this forum have the same kind of rather sickening sense of inevitability about people getting caught up in a soloing/ media frenzy?

I'm not one of the older members ;) but yes, I have the sickening sense of inevitability. If you play roulette long enough eventually your number comes up.

I agree that having the whole media circus along for the right probably puts unnecessary pressure on you to perform. Of the occasions when I have soloed (admittedly few and far between) there have been as many times where it hasn't felt right on the day and I've backed off and walked away.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Honnold in 'Big Deal' shock ...
June 12, 2012, 09:16:39 am
The above article has more on his thoughts about soloing...

Quote from: Alex Honnold
I think a lot about the risk taking and risk itself in general. The thing for me is that I honestly don’t find soloing that risky. There isn’t that much chance involved. You either can do it or you can’t. It’s not like you’re rolling the dice. If I know that I can do something, then I do it. It’s all about staying within your abilities and executing things well. Like right now I’m driving in the rain, on the phone and in a lot of ways this is kind of risky too, but nobody considers that a crazy risk.

To me, any kind of spiritual stuff doesn’t come into my mind at all. It doesn’t even go through the decision-making process. It’s all risk analysis: Can I do it? Is there a chance of me falling off? And if I think that there is risk at all then I don’t do it.

I think a lot of people confuse the risk with the consequences. They say that soloing is a high-risk activity, but really soloing has very very high consequences – if you mess it up you’ll likely die – but it doesn’t make it any more risky. The odds of me falling off aren’t any higher because I’m soloing. If anything, the odds are a lot lower because when you’re soloing you stare down like it’s no joke. You pull really hard. A lot of the time I climb a lot better when I’m soloing because it is important, because you fucking pull super hard. You’re really focused. You’re aware of every hand and foot placement. You’re climbing well. So if anything that is lowering your risk of following off, it’s just that the consequences of failure are super high.
[/quote]

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal