UKBouldering.com

Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs (Read 4012 times)

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
May 30, 2012, 11:01:23 am
My guidebook is sold on so I was thinking of creating a digital version to sell.

I don't particularly want to go down the road of learning a new language to create a guidebook app plus I'm not sure what that could add. Fixed EPUB doesn't seem a whole lot better than PDF and is limited in terms of where it will work.

Any advice on DRM? Should I even bother?

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#1 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
May 30, 2012, 12:55:41 pm
Hi Dave be happy to discuss an app with you, I have written an app platform and associated database that feeds it. The app could be published on iPhone and Android as soon as you have finished with the data entry. PM me if you want to know more.

s. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
May 30, 2012, 01:58:01 pm
For eBooks cofe or jonjon can probably provide some insight.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
May 30, 2012, 07:36:09 pm
SteG thanks for the offer but at the moment I think I'm looking at something more basic. Your platform looks great and maybe it's something I should consider further down the road.

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
#4 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
June 06, 2012, 10:36:17 pm
The ePub platform is very limited and, as mentioned above, is not much better than PDF. You may be better working with Adobe's digital publishing platform (check out Wired UK mag on iPad to see what's possible quite easily). You can then publish to Apple, Android and Blackberry devices.

You will need InDesign CS5 or higher (CS6 offers the most features) as well as a digital publishing account with Adobe – and the ability to use it, of course. Both quite expensive but I might be able to help you out there if you are inferested, depending upon timescales, as I'm a designer / developer by trade (freelance) and have access to everything you need. PM me if you want to chat.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
June 06, 2012, 10:41:19 pm
I decided to just use PDF. Maybe it's something I will revisit in the future but I don't have huge time to devote to it at the moment. Thanks for the advice though.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
June 07, 2012, 10:32:15 am
I decided to just use PDF.
I am thinking about this issue too, Dave, as my guidebook is already fairly out-of-date, but I am not sure I can bear the fuss of printing again. Are you just considering a pay-to-download model for the PDF? I am reluctant about that as I guess the PDF will just end up getting shared around once it's in the public domain.

Thats what I'm trying. For 5 Euro. I'm not protecting it in any way but I'm adding the purchasers name and email to each page, this is known as 'social drm', to discourage sharing. I think it a neat idea and should/might help. The reality is that every DRM can be got around or is a total pain for the user. Sharing is a risk but it hasn't stopped ebooks becoming popular and selling well, plus I would like to think climbers are decent sorts.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#7 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
June 07, 2012, 11:44:30 am
Have you looked into print on demand?

I started to research this once, though it all seemed quite complicated and there were a lot of setup costs.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
June 07, 2012, 11:44:47 am
True there is always a workaround. I'm not sure I would release an ebook concurrently with a print book but I'm not planning on a second edition for years so I've nothing to lose.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
June 07, 2012, 11:50:08 am
Have you looked into print on demand?

I started to research this once, though it all seemed quite complicated and there were a lot of setup costs.

I think it can be done pretty easily on blurb or lulu but its very expensive. Though you could do a 100 page pocket book in B+W for around £5 which is pretty reasonable.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Bouldering ebooks/apps/PDFs
June 07, 2012, 12:02:58 pm
You could try asking Andy Kirkpatrick as he's self-published a couple of things in print and done a couple of electronic downloads.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal