UKBouldering.com

Calf Muscle Blues (Read 8340 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 06:15:03 pm
My calves are giving me gyp, in two ways that are probably related.

(1) after climbing. When I first started climbing- long long ago - I got terrible cramp in my feet and calves after climbing, presumably because standing on footholds was completely new to me, but it stopped after a few months. Now I am more than two years into Climbing Career 2.0, but still wake up in the night with calf cramps after evenings at the wall.

(2) whilst running. I've never been a great runner, but I used to do a bit including the odd fell race. Haven't for years. I'm reasonably aerobically fit on the whole - walking up to the starts of mountain rock routes is ok for example, and is actually what I want to be aerobically fit for - but often when I try to go for a run I get a feeling like I've pulled something in my calf. I don't think I'm being overambitious, these are 2-3 mile jogs at a very moderate pace, but my calves seem to disagree.

What to do?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 06:18:03 pm
Sie muss mehr Wasser trinken

griffer

• regular
#2 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 07:41:14 pm
How old are you?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero

lmarenzi

• regular
  • Receptionist at Comici, Buhl, Dawes & Sharma, Ltd
  • Punter
#4 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 08:17:07 pm
My calves often used to hurt when ice climbing and so I started to train them so they wouldn't hurt anymore. It didn't help much.

One day at some climbing seminar I asked Ines Pappert what kind of training she did for her calves and she said nothing, she just keeps her heels down. It worked for me.

On a side note, she never made it onto DFBWGC but I thought she was quite a foxy little number at the time ...

griffer

• regular
#5 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 08:44:21 pm
Be careful
people in our age group, that take part in sport and have  a genetic weakness in their calf muscles!, are prone to ruptures of the calf muscle.
I have pulled 2 in the last 2 years, it really hurts.
As a youth I did a lot of sports, squash, fell running, just generally fit! but once I reached a certain age with only a lttle warning ( sore calf muscles from climbing ) I ruptured one big style, then 2 years later with no warning another.
Spoke to a doctor (mate) he confimed that it was potentially a genetic weakness in the calf muscles, lots of squash, badminton players get it. very little I can do about it, the only research he could find was some evidence of maintaining good hydration levels and energy levels, especially at the end of a session, reduces the potential for a tear.
He then said " you are getting old, stop climbing 8b's", i laughed openly in his face :)

psychomansam

• forum hero
#6 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 09:22:22 pm
Hydrate better during and after exercise, take on electrolytes, don't drink alcohol. Might help

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 09:40:18 pm
I often get real bad calf cramps when wearing Dragons - esp when heel hooking etc...

psychomansam

• forum hero
#8 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 11:54:53 pm
Oh yeah, good point. What shoes do you wear? I currently only wear V-miles, because of achilles problems. The stiffer the midsole, the less your calves should be having to work.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Calf Muscle Blues
May 17, 2012, 11:57:53 pm
It's the downturniness that seems to bring on the cramps.. Pressing into the instep..

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 05:26:56 am
Thanks guys.

Hydration: probably. I do find I get thirsty during wall routes sessions, even though I generally remember to take a water bottle and drink between routes. Should probably try to make that "always remember"

Downturn: probably not. I have Boosters for bouldering, but Miura laces for proper routes, and do most of my wall mileage in Sportiva Mantises: stiff, clunky, uncool and fine for standing on plastic blobs.

Running: isn't important to me, maybe I should just give up on it and do other things (bike, hillwalking) for base aerobic fitness.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 05:38:43 am

Hydrate better during and after exercise, take on electrolytes, don't drink alcohol. Might help

:-\ Tricky. I don't drink much alcohol in general, but I would miss my one or two weissbiers after a wall session.

webbo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 08:52:10 am
Are you sure its your calf not your achilles. I read something a while ago regarding older males and running are prone to achilles problems (something to do with it losing its flexablity/elasticity as you get older) I think it may be worse in if you are returning to running after a lay off.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 09:21:39 am
Are you sure its your calf not your achilles.

Definitely calf not achilles. It's quite high up in the belly of the muscle. Difficult to describe but kind of a thin vertical cylinder of pain, as if one bundle of fibres in the muscle were strained. Not always in exactly the same place though.

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 12:24:51 pm
Do you stretch before you run.

JDobo

• regular
#15 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 12:28:28 pm
This is purely anecdotal  :doubt: but I used to suffer from similar cramps as you mentioned in (1) and it was apparently due to a deficiency in ions that are lost though sweat during exercise. Now after taking magnesium and zinc i rarely get them compared to a few times a week.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#16 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 01:21:44 pm
Stop wearing heels.

tomtom

• forum hero
#17 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 03:10:24 pm
Start wearing heels

JohnM

• junky
#18 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 03:30:10 pm
Have you tried wearing some kind of compression socks either during or post exercise, maybe combined with a lower leg ice bath?

jmews

• regular
#19 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 04:52:00 pm
My calves knot up and lock up at the slightest provocation. I have to stretch all the way down through the heel cord and then up into the belly of the muscle. Long, slow stretches help best. I also find that beasting them on a foam roller, while painful in the short term, really makes a difference.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#20 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 06:12:34 pm
So, today: foam rolling and lots of water drinking. I already take a magnesium tablet at breakfast; maybe switch it to bedtime?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#21 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 18, 2012, 11:35:43 pm
I get awful calf cramps often, ususally at night after running or climbing, similar to the mid muscle belly pain that you describe. adequate hydration doesn't always seem to have a bearing, if anything, i find fairly moderate alcohol intake stops it happening, rather than exacerbates it.

JDobo

• regular
#22 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 19, 2012, 08:05:33 am
Sorry no idea if it would help the cramps by taking the magnesium at night. Personally i don't think it would matter too much on the time of day you take it since magnesium can be stored in the body, so obviously that isn't the solution for you. On a side note how much coffee/caffeine do you have a day?

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
#23 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 19, 2012, 05:26:41 pm
the calf stiffness and cramps is probably just caused by the running. if your a a midfoot/forefoot striker you put a lot of shock through the calves which is actually good because its not being transmitted to your spine but this takes quite some time for your muscles to get used to. it took me nearly two years to be able to run as many miles as id like without getting the tightness you describe. a good way to stretch them is stand on a step and drop your heals right down one at a time. (thats not an approved method but certainly works). also just keep the running regular and your body will get used to the abuse.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#24 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 19, 2012, 06:17:28 pm
I also have some issues with my left calf.
sometimes I get cramps if I have to push very hard on footholds, with toes pointing down. I think it could still be a long term effect of my sciatic nerve compression from last spring, for which I didn't do anything except taking tons of antiinflammatories.
I think that some massage could help.
sorry, I know this is of no use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal