UKBouldering.com

pain in finger with no swelling/localised pain? (Read 2413 times)

Bangflaps

Hey folks, I had a look around to see if I could find something similar in previous posts but couldn't seem to find anything, so apologies if this has done before.
I was at the wall yesterday and felt a pain in my left middle finger after doing an odd guppy/crimp thing which wasn't too pleasant.
Afterwards it definitely hurt a lot to crimp, but this morning there is no swelling or localised pain in the knuckles or the pulleys (I can 'milk' my finger vigorously in many different ways and there is no pain at all) and I have full range of motion - yet it hurts on the side of the finger when I put pressure on it in the half crimp shape.
If anyone has any idea what's up it would be much appreciated, it seems so weird that it hurts quite a lot yet I can't find any source for the pain/ any outward signs that it's even there.
Cheers for any help you can offer, if anything I got to use the phrase 'milk my finger vigorously in many different ways' which is always a bonus.

Yoof

• menacing presence
I had something similar a few weeks back, I laid off climbing for a few weeks and it's healing nicely, meaning I can now crimp reasonably hard again  ;D.  I'm afraid the only advice I have for you is stop climbing for a bit  :P. Get better soon.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
Sounds like collateral ligament damage to me? If it is, and is similar to the collateral tear I had, then the good news is that you might be able to climb moderately hard after a few weeks, the bad news is that it might take months for it to feel fully ok.....

I did have a total layoff for a few months shortly after I did mine though (as I had a broken foot) which meant I had scar tissue problems, which I think is way it took so long.

Try bending the finger sideways at the joint (gently - don't make it worse). The collateral ligament should twinge down the side of the joint, if it is that.

Usual disclaimer: I have no relevant qualifications whatsoever (apart from having injured my own fingers a lot)

Bangflaps

Cheers for the replies folks! Hmm I had a good wrestle with my finger round the painful joint but it doesn't seem to hurt - maybe it just damaged the ligament a bit further in, hence why I can't feel around for any pain. Ah well, a bit of time off will do me good. Thanks again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal