UKBouldering.com

Adding toe rubber??? (Read 10273 times)

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 09:31:20 am
Do any of the shoe repair companies provide a service to add rubber across the top of the toes of rock shoes? If not, whats the best way to do it or are you better off just getting shoes with it already on there?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 09:37:38 am
Most companies will add a rand when resoling if required, at Feet First they charge extra, Cheshire Shoes didn't last time I used them.

You can also get stuff like Shoe Goo and I clocked FiveTen Stealth Pain at Rock & Run yesterday (they had a 20% off all shoes offer for one day).

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#2 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 09:54:17 am
a mate did it to his 510velcros, they looked and felt shit, but he did also get a resole so maybe that had something to do with them

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#3 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 10:23:08 am
a mate did it to his 510velcros, they looked and felt shit, but he did also get a resole so maybe that had something to do with them

We are probably talking about the same guy. He did it himself with the Stealth Rubber Kit and it does look shit, but seems to work relatively well. As a word of warning he did it with another pair 5.10 velcros and the rubber wouldn't stay on due to a lack of glue, so he said he used lots of barge glue from a DIY shop rather than the stuff they give you in the kit on the second pair.

You can also get stuff like Shoe Goo

Shoe goo is a glue. Good for sticking shoes back together, but not so good for a rubber alternative.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 10:38:04 am

Shoe goo is a glue. Good for sticking shoes back together, but not so good for a rubber alternative.

I was considering it as a crude filler for a small slit in the toe of my shoes.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#5 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 12:07:46 pm
no, it was john cooke who sent them to cheshire's and had rubber glued to the toe uppers,  a bit gay john was but the shoes were shite

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#6 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 12:56:53 pm
I have tried something similar with Shoe Goo, but it tends to come off quickly if it is a high wear area. If you are Manchester based I have a tube of it, you are welcome to use and see if it holds before you buy a whole tube of the stuff.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 01:07:19 pm
Cheers for the offer, its not expensive stuff though so I'll just get a tube, thanks.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#8 Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 01:16:16 pm
Haven't done this for over a Decade.
I've no idea where to find it (google?).
But I used to have a lot of success with "Black Witch Neoprene cement", which was actually wetsuit repair/Dry suit hole bung gloop.
It was as the intended use implies very waterproof and hard wearing (for a glue). Had a dry texture very much like a soft rubber (of the day).
It was dead cheap and available in most surf shops.
I recall fixing flapping soles/rands, hole filling and putting on the instep to prevent a particular chaffing wear through problem I had with the only shoes I could afford in those days (Sportiva "Flies"? They were purple and I've just realised it was 20 years not 10).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#10 Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 01:46:44 pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Black-Witch-Neoprene-Adhesive/dp/B000SCJQYQ

That would be it, looks like the same packaging, which must be rare (to stay unchanged for twenty years).

I note that this post also has a girl (ish) in it, YPY. That is a unique ability you have...

rainbow

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 02:52:49 pm
I bought the 5.10 kit to whack some rubber on the shaman's, didn't work, so mixed what was left of the rubber with 'seamgrip' applied and seems to be wearing fine. So surprised all the top end shoes don't have the whole toe box covered like ala solutions.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 01, 2012, 04:04:45 pm
unchanged for twenty years).

Because it hasn't ben improved on! It probably full of illegal chemicals which will probably make you blind, deaf and incontinent, but it works bloody well, so no reason to change it??

thrashhard

• player
#13 Re: Adding toe rubber???
May 02, 2012, 05:06:15 pm
I did it myself once and it lasted and it worked great.
I went to the resoler in my town and asked him for some leftovers from the rand repair. i glued them with Locktite Powerflex and the toepatch lasted longer than the shoe (+2 resoles). Just make shure you clean the glueing area carefully and degrease it with isopropanole or methanol.

torquil

#14 Re: Adding toe rubber???
June 15, 2012, 02:40:47 pm
I had been thinking of offering this as a service (i'm Llanberis Resoles) but so far have been too busy doing standard resoles to give it much thought.

I added patches to the top of my Anasazi white's after being on the sharp crack of Dinorwig Unconquerable and not being able to take the pain of the toe jams. I just used 5.10s Rand rubber which is 2.5mm and seems to work well, although it may be too thick if you want to cover a large area, I also punched a series of holes in it to help it stretch (similar to the side of Solutions).

I happy to sell bits of rubber if people want to do a DIY job. Any waterproof contact adhesive should work.

rodma

• forum hero
#15 Re: Adding toe rubber???
June 15, 2012, 03:41:42 pm
I had been thinking of offering this as a service (i'm Llanberis Resoles) but so far have been too busy doing standard resoles to give it much thought.

I added patches to the top of my Anasazi white's after being on the sharp crack of Dinorwig Unconquerable and not being able to take the pain of the toe jams. I just used 5.10s Rand rubber which is 2.5mm and seems to work well, although it may be too thick if you want to cover a large area, I also punched a series of holes in it to help it stretch (similar to the side of Solutions).

I happy to sell bits of rubber if people want to do a DIY job. Any waterproof contact adhesive should work.

I would have thought that there would be plenty of people interested in having their shoes modded for better toehooking etc.

torquil

#16 Re: Adding toe rubber???
July 01, 2012, 09:18:34 pm
I resoled a couple of pairs of Solutions recently that needed the toe-hooking patches replaced. For time and rubber they worked out at £5/patch so I'd add patches to a shoe that didn't have them for the same. FWIW the customer was, I quote, "..very happy with them" and dropped me a third pair of Solutions off right away.

Details aren't on the website yet but I'll get around to it soon.

I used Vibram 2.2mm Grip which is normally a rand rubber, I'd say it's bit stickier, a bit softer but less durable than the 5.10 2.5mm rand rubber.

Hope that helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal