UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club Week 114 Mon 16th-Sun 22nd April (Read 12727 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Nothing?  I feel used.

Feck, forgot about Friday! Yes indeed - a good day at Birchens with Nai dodging showers and trying Niks impossible 7A+ ;) Not as useless a week as I feared!

wsmith

• player
    • Hard Wood Holds
Week 15 of plan.

M. 1 hour of campus board laddering, assisted negative one armers and tried some hard stuff on board. Ancap - 10 reps of 25 move circuit, rest still at 2min. Not close to previous records.
T. Warwick. Some medium bouldering. Redpoints on routes, felt good. Short aerocap - 20min continuity.
W.
T. First FB session of this 4 week cycle. Going to do 4 weeks of FB hypertrophy before power phase. Never done hypertrophy stuff on fingerboard before but from what I read, came up with this, open to criticism of this as I dunno if its right. 6 sets of 10 by 10 hangs. So 10s hang, 5s rest, 10s hang, 5s rest etc until 10 hangs are done. 6 sets gives 10min hang time overall. Rest between sets 1 and 2 was 2min and this increased by 1min every set after that. Hangs done at half crimp on an edge that is about 80% of max. Felt very much like power endurance, dunno if it should or not. Had to move to slightly bigger edge in last few reps of last 3 sets.
F. 30 min of bouldering on the board. Ancap - 10 reps of 16 move circuit. Rest still at 2 min. Far from previous records again.
S.
S.

Was going to do 1 aerocap and 1 FB at the weekend but had to work solidly both days for deadline on Monday. Next week is planned easy week so will shorten that a bit.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
T. First FB session of this 4 week cycle. Going to do 4 weeks of FB hypertrophy before power phase. Never done hypertrophy stuff on fingerboard before but from what I read, came up with this, open to criticism of this as I dunno if its right. 6 sets of 10 by 10 hangs. So 10s hang, 5s rest, 10s hang, 5s rest etc until 10 hangs are done. 6 sets gives 10min hang time overall. Rest between sets 1 and 2 was 2min and this increased by 1min every set after that. Hangs done at half crimp on an edge that is about 80% of max. Felt very much like power endurance, dunno if it should or not. Had to move to slightly bigger edge in last few reps of last 3 sets.

Seems like too high of volume for hypertrophy to me....  6x10 seems like too much in a single workout.  I would think you would want to be doing 2 or 3x10 in a workout. 

This is just from reading though and no personal experience.  I've never actually done directed hypertrophy training....  Maybe somebody else will chime in.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Interesting, I used to do 6 sets of 10" hangs for 10-11 holds as well. It's a lot of volume. I could be wrong but it seems to me that as soon as I cut the sets by half, my finger strength increased very much.
It could be related with training everyday on the board also, but I really noticed this in the last month.
I also have to say that many of my shirts and fleeces don't fit my forearms anymore, for what it's worth...  :shrug:

iain

• forum abuser
I also have to say that many of my shirts and fleeces don't fit my forearms anymore, for what it's worth...  :shrug:

:strongbench: :bow:

I want some of that

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber

:strongbench: :bow:

I want some of that

You Italians and your tight shirts    :ras:

My old training program (  :beer2: ) made it so my shirts didn't fit anymore either, but in a slightly different way....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:12:06 pm by Sasquatch »

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Late, late update from me!

STG: Cliff tickage
LTG: Font 7b

M - Nowt
T - Another very good board session
W - Nowt
T - Down to London for Hip Hop Karaoke, passable rendition of "Me, Myself and I", a good few beers and bed
F - Hangover, full English, trip to London Transport Museum, another night out
S - Off to Reigate to visit mates, another night out
S - Arrive at King's Cross at 1:30pm to catch 2:40pm train to Leeds only to find all trains travelling north cancelled. After a long and drawn out saga, eventually blag onto a train to Leeds from St. Pancras, stand all the way home and arrive back at 10:30pm, 9 hours after arriving at King's Cross!

wsmith

• player
    • Hard Wood Holds
Seems like too high of volume for hypertrophy to me....  6x10 seems like too much in a single workout.  I would think you would want to be doing 2 or 3x10 in a workout. 

This is just from reading though and no personal experience.  I've never actually done directed hypertrophy training....  Maybe somebody else will chime in.

Interesting, I used to do 6 sets of 10" hangs for 10-11 holds as well. It's a lot of volume. I could be wrong but it seems to me that as soon as I cut the sets by half, my finger strength increased very much.
It could be related with training everyday on the board also, but I really noticed this in the last month.

Ok thanks. Just done some more reading on here. Think you are both right, I need to lower the volume a bit.

Nibile, when you halved the number of sets did you decrease the hold size/increase weight or just keep the same intensity?

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
STG:  Rehabilitate
MTG:  Regain previous level, introduce structured training and injury prevention
LTG:  7A in Font

M- Arch.  Takes forever to get warmed up, eventually a decent session.  Flashed some new stuff, miniscule progress on projects.  Yoga, shoulder exercises.
T- Arch.  Green project done.  Took three sessions even though I was tickling the last hold on day one.  Maybe solid V4, in which case three sessions isn't miles below par.  Yoga, shoulders.
W- Biscuit.  Light session working my way through the blue circuit.  Yoga, shoulders.
T- As W
F- Shoulders
S- Biscuit.  Finished off the blue circuit then worked nice prow hugging heel-hookey red, should go next time.  Did some of the easier new stuff on the comp wall.  Yoga, shoulders.
S- Arch.  New yellow circuit.  Nearly flashed all of them, couple where I screwed up the first move then sent second go.  Shoulders.

Rain, rain, rain.  Feeling like I'm on my way back to the level I was at before injury, even though my shoulder still feels a long way from normal.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Nibile, when you halved the number of sets did you decrease the hold size/increase weight or just keep the same intensity?
hey!
I have to check my training log, but I am quite sure that I managed to increase the intensity by doing the same hangs on worse holds, or managing to increase the hangs durations and so on.
I posted a question on here about that: I think that the "second" three sets of hangs that I was doing were simply thrashing my fingers too much, with two effects: longer recovery between sessions; decreased intensity in the sets.
this old routine has been helpful in giving me a "hard" base made of big volume and high intensity training. now I'm training almost everyday, so I need shorter session and I can go for max intensity.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
STG: Improve stamina for trad. season and trip to big scary cliff in Switzerland this summer.
MTG: E5 by end 2012. 

3 months out due to spannered ankle and wrist and constant cough/run-down-ness.  Not ideal preparation for the Verdon but it went reasonably well considering.  It rained a lot.  Did Pilier des Ecureuils which was good but mostly short routes due to concerns about getting caught half-way up something in a downpour.   Les enrages, the tentative target, was wet.  The gorge felt a little less impressive than in 1980 but Provence still generally a fine place.     

Managed a couple of technical 6b+s which should transfer well to trad. if I can slow the onset of pumpedness a little and it ever stops raining here. 

M - Scraps at La Turbie + flight home
T -
W - Short run. 
T -
F - 10mins on / 5 mins off x 3. Moderately pumped.  Aerobic Capacity?
S - Short run. 
S - 10mins on / 5 mins off x 3. Moderately pumped. 

Feel like I'm starting from scratch.

Hang in there. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal