UKBouldering.com

Ocun Dominator and other mats (Read 18550 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 02:55:20 pm
Hello,
My trusty Snap Bun is starting to feel a little soft nowadays and I've been snooping around for a replacement. I even had a think about the Flashed - but no where has them and they are a little more expensive than the average bear.. I could (and might) go for a replacement Bun now that Snap stuff is being distributed in the UK again - but always interested in new/different products I've been looking at the Ocun Dominator.. which seems to have some fancyshadazzle foam tech stuff going on in it.. I know 3T and Nigel Poustie have them - and I've fallen on them a little (seem to remember them being quite firm).. any views/oppinions (are the zips a weak point?) or decent suggestions of alternatives?
TT

Edit - the case of my Snap mat is still perfectly servicable - as an extra Q any reccomendations for where to get replacement foam from?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 03:11:30 pm
Jasper told me that the foam that VW use in the seats of the Golf can anticipate where it is going to be needed - you don't need a back seat in your car...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 09:57:06 pm
Only had my Dominator a few months, quite pleased with it so far, it's built like a tank, straps, buckles, zip, shell all feel solid and the foam is very firm.  the waist belt is a bonus, why don't more pads have them?  Only negative, and it's a biggy, is the zip -  there's a definite gap between the two halves.  I've rarely used it lengthways, it's a nice option but I'd rather not have the gap, lose the zip and it'd improve the pad.

Read recent;y that Snap are coming back to the UK, not sure where I read it or who the distributor will be but might be worth looking into replacement foam.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 10:04:21 pm
Are you wanting specifically Snap foam for replacement?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 10:05:58 pm
Echo all the positive comments about the Dominator above, I can confirm that they last as I've had mine for nearly 3 years and I don't think it's really softened down that much.

I really like the option of the lengthways refold option - I didn't think I'd use it that much before I got it but have been surprised how many times I have now I've got it for fiddly thin landings, traverses etc.

On the gap thing, can't say I've noticed - but then again if I'm highballing I generally have the luxury of 2 Dominators with the (also excellent, and massive) Dreamtime laid over the top!

Only drawback for me is that it doesn't fit in the boot of my Micra, but then again nothing else probably would...I just stick it in the back seat, just like I did with my old Franklin Dropzone in my old BMW Coupe.

Plattsy

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 10:44:28 pm
Thanks gents.. Might try the foam option. Yes the zip was the one thing I wasn't sure of with the dominator.. That company from plattsys link might be worth a call for some replacement.. As the case on mine still has plenty of life left...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#7 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 10:51:15 pm
Indeed - I was pretty gutted to miss out on Alpkit's replacement Dropzone foam offer when they had it, in my experience the foam goes faster than the outer.

Surprised some enterprising soul hasn't set up a business re-stuffing pads to be honest - if people will resole shoes surely re-foaming a pad at a fraction of the cost of a new mat is a no-brainer?

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#8 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 11:30:40 pm
I've had problems with my Paddy Dreamtime - if its left folded for even a day, the upper foam slips and gets stuck in a weird 'kink' at the fold point. I've got no choice but to store it unfolded, which is just a little inconvenient. The hinged Dominator shouldn't have this problem - Apart from that,  the pads is very good with a high quality build.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#9 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 12, 2012, 11:55:50 pm
Surprised some enterprising soul hasn't set up a business re-stuffing pads to be honest - if people will resole shoes surely re-foaming a pad at a fraction of the cost of a new mat is a no-brainer?

Actually the foam is such a massive percentage of the cost it woudn't be worth it.

Duma

• forum hero
#10 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 13, 2012, 12:04:14 am
how? it's still not the whole cost, and if the outer's still fine...

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#11 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 13, 2012, 12:50:46 am
If it's £50 maybe you'd consider it. If it's £80 you'd wonder if it's worth it. What if it was £100? It's only another £50 for a new mat, and there's usually a bit of stitching, or a buckle which is a bit busted.

Duma

• forum hero
#12 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 13, 2012, 10:33:50 am
If it's £50 maybe you'd consider it. If it's £80 you'd wonder if it's worth it. What if it was £100? It's only another £50 for a new mat, and there's usually a bit of stitching, or a buckle which is a bit busted.
But this is for the functional equivalent of a new mat. I've got two mats both of which could do with refoaming, neither of which has anything other than a bit of dirt wrong with the outer (and one of those is an S7 - showing it's (and my) age) I'd happily refoam the pod for £100, though it does seem a bit steep for just foam, it's £50 (more these days) less than a new mat. the S7's smaller and older, but for £50 I'd do it. If the stitching's going in a few places or the fabrics tearing/worn fair enough, but buckles are cheap. Shows the throwaway consumer society we live in I suppose.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 13, 2012, 10:39:05 am
The philosophy of "Reduce, reuse, recycle" might be a reason for replacing foam rather than buying a new pad.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#14 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 13, 2012, 10:46:46 am
That Needlesports link Plattsy posted above says that the company they recommend will do custom foam...maybe worth a shout?

Duma

• forum hero
#15 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 13, 2012, 10:48:22 am
quality smiley slackers  :clap2:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#16 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 13, 2012, 10:57:39 am
have you tried the new Occam mats? Quite a basic design :)

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 16, 2012, 02:40:52 pm
Razor-sharp there Chris.

rodma

• forum hero
#18 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 16, 2012, 05:25:16 pm
Hope this isn't a hijack, but

Had a quick google for foam suppliers and it looks like you can order foam cut to size from a couple of online suppliers, but what is the specification for the main foam (which density is best) and top foam, other than just open-cell and closed-cell? Do people even used closed cell for the top anymore, or just denser open-cell?  :please:

There appear to be a myriad of options and I'm pretty tempted to revive my old cordless deluxe. the online price calculator one of the sites has, works out at about £65 delivered  :great:

rodma

• forum hero
#19 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 18, 2012, 08:38:28 am
Ok

Couldn't wait any longer and found one site which does all of the different types of foam (including closed cell) cut to size, so have ordered what I need. I'll give an update on the results once project complete. If successful, it will be far more cost effective than buying a new pad

It appears to be cheaper to replace the foam for a hinged pad from these type of sites, since they give you a discount for multiple orders (like two identical pieces), so this would work out even more economical than restuffing a taco  8)

rodma

• forum hero
#20 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 20, 2012, 01:27:07 pm
Here's a quick update for those of you interested in giving your mat a new lease of life.

foam ordered from http://www.easyfoam.co.uk on Wednesday and arrived today.

Despite my pad being just a thin affair I opted for three types of foam (i can be quite stupid at times).

For the top layer i ordered ethafoam (15mm thick), which is the closed cell stuff, for the middle layer i ordered medium grade foam (20mm) and for the main layer i got Vfirm grade (40mm).

The top layer feels about the right thickness, but i shouldn't have bothered with the middle layer (it is too soft for a pad this thin) and just gone straight for 60mm of vfirm (it is not really as firm as it says, so don't go any softer). Having three layers added a tenner to the price. If i were restuffing the mondo or any other highball pad, I'd repeat exactly what i just did (but with thicker layers)

My pad is 102 by 122 cm and would have cost £65 for the foam had i opted for just the two layers. If it were the same dimensions, but hinged, it would have been closer to £45, since they offer almost 50% discount for a second piece cut to the same size. So for one of those old S7 pads, which are pretty small IIRC, it should be really economical.

The only difficult thing about the whole process was actually restuffing the outer.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#21 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 21, 2012, 09:45:12 am
quote I got 18 months ago for some 2cm closed cell to replace the top layer on the huge Metolius pad I got off GCW

via ebay

more expensive than Ethafoam that Rodma linked

Ace Foam Est 1988
Unit D1, Court 2000
Bridgenorth Road
Madeley
Telford
Shropshire
TF7 4JB

Tel: 01952 581267

Good Morning Lagers
Thank you for your Enquiry via ebay I have the pleasure in quoting as follows:

*Quote number Acefoam299107

1off 183cm x 122cm x 2cm Closed cell foam £52.77 each

Prices include 24hour Parcelforce delivery and VAT

I didn't get round to buying it

I wonder whether 2 sheets of 10mm Ethafoam might work better in a taco pad than 1 layer of 20mm - maybe reduce creasing? Similar price
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:59:50 am by lagerstarfish »

rodma

• forum hero
#22 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 22, 2012, 02:41:04 pm
I wonder whether 2 sheets of 10mm Ethafoam might work better in a taco pad than 1 layer of 20mm - maybe reduce creasing? Similar price

Aaaaargh, I'm an idiot, why didn't i think of just doubling up to save money  :chair:

That sounds like a sensible (for money saving reasons) idea, not sure about whether it would decrease the creasing problems.

Duma

• forum hero
#23 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 22, 2012, 09:40:00 pm
Mods can we get the foam bit up this topic split out? Reckon it'd be pretty handy for future reference. Rodma - nice one for giving this a go, I'd never tried this route as for some reason I'd assumed pad foam (or at least decent pad foam) was somehow different to the standard stuff. Pretty much all mats I've landed on have felt fine new, but longevity has varied dramatically... May just go for it with the old s7 anyway though, no real risk.

Lagers, would 2 (or more) layers of closed cell not be 'softer' than one layer of the cumulative thickness? After all each boundary layer is a whole lot of open cells, essentially open to the edge of the mat.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#24 Re: Ocun Dominator and other mats
April 22, 2012, 10:36:30 pm
quote I got 18 months ago for some 2cm closed cell to replace the top layer on the huge Metolius pad I got off GCW

It's a real shame that the triple taco style fucks up the top layer. Unless you have the space to leave it open when not in use.
Lovely fish the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal