UKBouldering.com

Life on Hold (Read 46106 times)

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#25 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 07:35:24 am
Definitely looking forward to watching this one.  I think that the films outlook on pre-schoolers (as opposed to post-30 old schoolers) should be quite interesting, although I do find the new-school 'self-opinionated' views a bit stale now.

Saying this, they could be correct - I went to a Helmet gig on Tuesday,z 20 years on after watching them in Reading on the first Meantime tour - I think I put my back out in the pit.

If the filming quality of the SA film is anything to go by, I'm psyched - that's what does it for me.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 07:42:50 am
Its pretty damn good.  :2thumbsup: :clap2:

Well done Nick & Rich.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#27 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 07:52:53 am
Its pretty damn good.  :2thumbsup: :clap2:

Well done Nick & Rich.
:agree: Awesome.
I have watched it twice now, also made me to watch tomorrow I will be gone again great films.

chris05

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 08:19:54 am
Really great film.  :clap2: I was too excited to go to bed for a while after so thought I might suddenly be able to do a one-armer....

I couldn't  :'(

Duma

• forum hero
#29 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 10:16:41 am
thoughts:
It's great, def worth the money.
Those disappointed by the lack of interviewy type bits in TIWBG, will also be disapointed by this - it's in the same vein. Personally I think that's not a bad thing, I've yet to see anything along those lines in a climbing film that didn't feel faintly embarassing for both the viewer and interviewee (except the amazing DG interview).
It's just Peak/Yorkshire/Nothumberland - that's fine, but it was initially billed as a film of UK bouldering film, and I'd missed the mission shift that Dan talks about in his guest blog.
It's a NF/DV/MP film, other appearances are cameos.
I'd really like to have seen more wide shots, esp of the bigger stuff - you never really get an impression of the whole of Samson, Hi Fidelity, or the Promise. The opening section of Careless Torque is awesome in comparison.
Not withstanding the above The Promise section is brilliant, really gripping.

Dense is the best thing in it, no doubt.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#30 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 10:46:50 am
thoughts:
It's great, def worth the money.
Those disappointed by the lack of interviewy type bits in TIWBG, will also be disapointed by this - it's in the same vein. Personally I think that's not a bad thing, I've yet to see anything along those lines in a climbing film that didn't feel faintly embarassing for both the viewer and interviewee (except the amazing DG interview).
It's just Peak/Yorkshire/Nothumberland - that's fine, but it was initially billed as a film of UK bouldering film, and I'd missed the mission shift that Dan talks about in his guest blog.
It's a NF/DV/MP film, other appearances are cameos.
I'd really like to have seen more wide shots, esp of the bigger stuff - you never really get an impression of the whole of Samson, Hi Fidelity, or the Promise. The opening section of Careless Torque is awesome in comparison.

:agree: pretty much summed up my thoughts - some great footage but it needs something more pulling it all together in order to turn it from a good film into an awesome one

Fj

• menacing presence
#31 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 11:51:10 am
 :agree: too.
lots of the filming is stunning my only gripe would be the fact it dots around a lot from one location to the next without a reason.
it might be chronological, but I found it tricky to keep up.
appreciate their comments about aspiring to be the next stick it, without being stick it 2, but i think the location based segments do make it much easier to follow.

saying that its a brilliant watch.  :2thumbsup:
hard grit above mats.
 :jaw:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#32 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 12:06:32 pm
One of the things it highlighted for me was the contrast between old and new approaches.  The vision and talent of Big Ron, Andy Earl, Steve Dunning etc etc is still amazing when you look back.  Then the ground up highballing is just mindblowing.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#33 Re: Life on Hold
April 05, 2012, 12:10:59 pm
Awesome. Watched it twice already and fully intend to watch it again. Wider shots defintely, it would be good the place some of the climbs in the context of their surroundings.

Inspired, psyched and gagging to get one rock after watching it.

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#34 Re: Life on Hold
April 06, 2012, 12:12:04 pm
I thought it was a really good film...far better than a lot of the bigger budget productions!!!
I also like a bit of banter...but understand they didn't want too much of it...what there was, was funny though!

Good footage, really well filmed and a solid soundtrack! I've watched it twice already...and getting a few mates round to watch it again tomo! Well done Nick and Rich!

fried

• forum hero
#35 Re: Life on Hold
April 06, 2012, 12:22:43 pm
I downloaded this last night, but the misus decided Dexter was more important. I managed to watch 5 mins this morning over breakfast, looking good so far.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#36 Re: Life on Hold
April 06, 2012, 02:59:18 pm
Watched it last night- fantastic. Even more keen to fall off than usual now.  :bounce:

I think one of the biggest strengths of the film is its simplicity and almost complete lack of narration- putting soft things under big rocks and trying to climb to the top is self-explanatory and if you have an interest in the history of this sort of stuff then the significance of doing the Promise, Samson etc. that way is, too. Good work by the producers in recognising this.

The landscape timelapse shots are amazing and you can tell that they were rightly given as much importance as the climbing (ie. special trips must have been made to get them right) which really lifted the film out of the ordinary for me. One part I thought was specially good was the shot when the train goes past the limestone crag mid-crush: strangely beautiful and uniquely British.

The only criticisms I can think of are that I would like there to have been more ladies (although I could pretty much apply this to anything) and that some of the filming of the smaller problems near the beginning is a bit cramped and wobbly. While wider shots would indeed have been great on the big problems though, most still look seriously fucking high to me! I'm sure these minor niggles can be fully addressed in the next volume...

:great:

Beastly Squirrel

• player
  • a squirrel
#37 Re: Life on Hold
April 06, 2012, 07:17:38 pm
If (like me) your not able to buy it then Outcrop Films are hosting a few lectures around the country to see the film  ;D

a dense loner

• forum hero
#38 Re: Life on Hold
April 07, 2012, 07:35:30 am
on the whole i thought the film was quite good. apart from the climbing bits which bored me

Richard Sharpe

• regular
#39 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 11:59:28 am
on the whole i thought the film was quite good. apart from the climbing bits which bored me

I reckon that's the nicest thing you've ever said about our films! Thanks dense ill treasure those words for ever.  :)

Dr T

• forum hero
#40 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 04:27:37 pm
1080 now up for download for those who have been waiting like me.....
 :popcorn:

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
#41 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 04:28:50 pm
is a DVD version coming out?  :tumble:

Edit.... just looked on the website....... what date for DVD please?

aceupmysleeve

#42 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 06:05:49 pm
downloaded the film the other night but having some problems unzipping it as it is "archive" apparently? any suggestions?
cheers

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#43 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 06:52:52 pm
Had the same issue - download 7zip (google it)...takes a few secs, then extract the film using it...voila!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#44 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 07:06:10 pm

arse

I didn't realise this was coming

I'll wonder if they'll let me swap...

aceupmysleeve

#45 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 07:08:12 pm
yeah tried unzipping it using that program but it seems to not like it! oh well boring sunday night for me then!

Richard Sharpe

• regular
#46 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 07:36:30 pm
Any one having issues unzipping the file, try this
http://www.ehow.com/how_4453106_extract-files-from-compressed-folder.html

Sidehaas

• stalker
#47 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 08:19:47 pm

arse

Um...ditto.  Film is awesome but it would be nice to have it in 1080p if poss  :goodidea:

Especially loved the intro on Careless Torque.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#48 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 08:25:21 pm
Watched it on TV last night and not sure I'd have known the difference. Amazing film and great beta.

rodma

• forum hero
#49 Re: Life on Hold
April 08, 2012, 08:31:27 pm

arse

Um...ditto.  Film is awesome but it would be nice to have it in 1080p if poss  :goodidea:

Especially loved the intro on Careless Torque.

Didn't you see the options when you ordered?

It was pretty clear to me what the options were and I was happy with 720, since I didn't have to wait and my netbook can handle 720 better than 1080.

where's the cheapskate emoticon  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal