UKBouldering.com

Age, volume and intensity (Read 15111 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Age, volume and intensity
March 21, 2012, 07:56:43 pm
so, as I've said, I generally boulder and train alone, but when not, I generally boulder and train with climbers that are at least 8 years younger than me, if not more.
I don't pay much attention to my age, because mentally I don't feel it at all (17 year old brain), the fact is that I am 40 and I must take it into account.
I think my power is OK and also my finger strength, probably at an all time peak. I also have good core tension, I think. but I seem to need more time to recover, and also my power doesn't last long. I generally train at high intensity, being unable to do otherwise, so I just try to play with the sessions' volume.
The Guru came out with a new idea/experiment the other day, and I'll be the guinea pig once more: to start training basically every day, or anyway almost every day, with very short and very intense sessions.
the idea appeals me, so I'd like to have opinions about this, but also about how the other oldies here reckon things go after 40, in terms of volume and intensity of the sessions.
thanks.

gollum

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 21, 2012, 08:12:17 pm
I'm 45 and am four months back into climbing after a six year lay off and I follow pretty much the same routine. I train every day in split sessions with weights at lunch and either bouldering or campus an Beastmaker repeaters each eve. Seems to work and pretty much the routine I was doing at my peak. Never train to exhaustion or anything like it. Pretty good gains and still progressing, probably getting up 7C and close to the odd 7C+ at wall. Have to manage elbows but plenty of stretching seems to do that and only lock offs give any real pain. Target is 8A before December and am 46 and don't think that massively unrealistic.

So long and short of it is I reckon if listen to your body you can train pretty hard.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:35:15 pm by gollum »

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#2 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 10:43:17 am
Nibs I'm 50 this year  :'( and a light year away from your level of ability but I also train alone a lot of the time at home as wall access is intermittent for me when up in Scotland so thought this might be applicable.

After much thought over slow progression/plateauing up the grades I worked out I am weak (lol no brainer really) and that my finger strength is OK (for now), but that honest realization of this for me took quite a while. Got frustrated at not reaching my goal of a 1 armer on a large Beastmaker 1000 hold. Now I'm currently using a variant on a method I read about in an article on Leah Crane. The idea in the article was to set a goal of a 1 armer on a hold she couldn't currently manage one on. The method was warm up well then do 3 sets of 3 reps aiming to try and do 3 reps if you see what mean) and do this 3 times a day each day. Leah used assitance and gradually decreased assistance until she could do it unassisted

What I did was establish what weight I could do 2 reps at on my chosen pull up holds. I now do 3 sets trying to reach 3 reps in all set, once I do that the weight is upped by 2kg and I start trying to get 3 lots of 3 reps in set... I do 2 lots each day not 3, reasoning being longer recovery due to age, more risk of injury and to ensure I am training as fresh as possible. The last session of the day is finished with a dumbell complex/bodyweight type session of around 120-150 reps to work the antagonistics (biceps etc). Session length around 30 mins tops and for me, high intensity. Pleased to say it appears to be working and have made some steady gains in strength as my 1RM has improved by around 4kg already  ;D Go for it and good luck!

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#3 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 11:04:40 am
I like this thread  ;D...I'm 47 and kind of agree with the short intensity theory. This spring I did an 8a and 8A traverse, all time high!...that was following a training plan of blocks of fairly high intensity, ie short sessions of campus, beastmaker and bouldering. My only real signs of soreness and fatigue come after sessions with mates where I try all kinds of stuff and throw myself at things, no rests etc. So in conclusion if I stick to training periodised blocks, time in rests etc, improvement seems possible.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 11:20:52 am
Interesting topic. What is El Guru's reasoning??

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 12:46:03 pm
Still don't know, but for sure the idea is to up the frequency (is it possible?) and diminish the volume of the sessions. I have to say that recently i've had very good sessions the day after a short intense session in which i didn't feel very powerful (and hence the short volume and duration of the first session). I've also noticed good gains on the BM from when I shifted from 6 to 3 hangs for each hold. Higher intensiy for shorter time.
The idea to me is that training power you have to be short. The 3 sets of hangs that I am not doing right now, which gains would give? I mean, could I still keep such a high intensity on the second 3 sets, as to make them worth doing? Or would they be a loss of time both in terms of effort and hindering a fast and good compensation? Just a few weeks ago I was struggling on the medium pockets back2. Now I routinely hang them with 6 kg on and hung the small ones? Could it really be that after twenty years I got it right?
The problem is that I love training, I have fun, and that's why I get carried away and do too much.
Keep the replies coming!!!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#6 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 01:38:58 pm
Compensation....you think it might be about helping recovery time??

keefe

#7 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 01:53:03 pm
Hi Nibs, I like this thread.

My own history is a few years of stamina oriented climbing, persistently being weak & never having fallen in love with bouldering.
Over the last couple of years, I have repeatedly tried to include bouldering in my routines to try & address that weakness, but there was always something more interesting to do.
For the last couple of years, 3 - 4 days a week of middling sessions - i.e. ocasionally coming away totally wasted, but generally not.

Last year, I turned 51 & it was one of my best ever in terms of sport-climbing performance. Towards the end of the year, I tried increasing the intensity I was working at - doing up to 5 sessions a week - maybe 1 fingerboard, 2 boulder (PE) sessions & 2 days on routes. That led to some golfer's elbow issues, which I've been trying to work through since December.

In terms of what I can do at the moment - I'm too worried that I'll further aggravate the elbow to do more than 3 sessions / week, so I'm tending to make them quite big sessions - then with 1 or 2 days off, I can recover well. This seems to be working, although I haven't tried any projects recently - so its a little hard to judge. These have been strength sessions for a few weeks, & now PE for about 5 weeks. I seem to be surprisingly (to myself) strong, given that I feel I'm not doing as much as I could - and I haven't really explored my stamina yet.

I don't think I could face daily sessions at the moment - but I don't know how much of that is injury-related reticence & how much is age-related decrepitude.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 02:16:21 pm
I found The Guru's email with a rough pattern.
the idea could be:
- 2 weeks of daily, short, intense sessions
- 1 week of long, volume oriented sessions (less frequent I guess)
- 1 supercompensation week (still with no suggested pattern of sessions).

I really think it's about recovery/compensation. I mean, I can have good goes on hard problems, but less of them, in a session. For sure this is also due to a massive change in my usual bouldering sessions on rock in the last two-three years: get there, possibly early, pull as hard as you can, go home soon. it's important to also have some kind of stamina, in case one has to work a tricky problem for longer, then remains with no beans for the redpoint. (a couple of Parisella's sessions spring to mind!!!).
I had a monster sessions on Monday the 12th, three hours, good power, good core, good fingers, really satisfying. I still haven't recovered...

Keefe, thanks!!! but from the post it seems to me that you upped both intensity and frequency, so both intensity and volume!!! maybe that's the cause of the elbow issues?

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#9 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 02:49:23 pm
Hi Nible, not quite in the same league as you guys yet  :-\.....  but 40 is closer than 30 ;). Ive been messing about with session lengths a bit lately too. 1).. because someone has commented I might be doing too longer sessions usual 3 hours 3xweek and 2).. a mate climbs nearly 6 days a week doing short sessions and he has made gains with this.
I've kind of concluded that doing a combination of the two appears to be working best now. 2 week block of hour sessions maybe 5/6 times a week, then a 2 week block of monster sessions 2/3 times a week.
I found hitting the boards often tends to build fatigue slowly and i feel after two weeks injuries aren't far away. Then 2 week of big sessions gives some good recovery time between sessions but also gives you that shock load to the system (whatever that is) those big overloads that kind of kick you up the ass once youve recovered.
Anyhow this seems to suit me now, I'm managing to train hard, get recovered properly at least once a month, injuries are staying away, and the changes in session styles is keeping me interested..  and im pulling really hard again, maybe as strong if not stronger than i was 15 years ago..

Be interested to see Nible if you stick to short and often sessions what happens in the long run. Like I say myy mate does this, but he plateus really often and struggles like hell to step up again.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#10 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 03:48:34 pm
The Guru's idea is very close to what you're doing Probes. and it's what I am going to be doing, probably. thanks for the infos!!!

Andy W

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 04:07:00 pm
Moon I think once said 'stop strong', I often 'stop' !...the thing I wanted to add was how do oldies feel about warming up. I find i don't need much of a warm up and ironies being whenever I do a lengthy warm up I always injure myself!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#12 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 04:12:46 pm
interesting!!!
I take ages to warm up, I mean easily 45 minutes.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#13 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 04:30:23 pm
I'm really interested in hearing how this goes for you. 

I'm a bit younger(35) and haven't been doing quite the same thing, but I sort of fell into a 5-6 day/week routine this winter with my training and it's been amazing to see the difference.  My weeks generally have been:

Monday: FB-Encores - 1 Hr
Tuesday: ARC/Power(big hold campusing, or dynos) - 1 Hr Each
Wednesday: FB-one arm-repeaters - 1 Hr
Thursday: ARC/Boulder  - 1 Hr Each
Friday: FB - Max Hang - 1 Hr
Saturday - Off/Fun Stuff
Sunday - Volume - Long easy session with just a little bit of hard stuff in the middle. 3-4 Hours

As far as the warming up question - I've found that it takes much less time to warm up climbing everyday.  A day off means my warm-up will be twice as long.

But in all honestly I'm fairly new to training for climbing.  I've climbed since 1995, but not until this past winter have I really planned and executed a training program for climbing.  I've trained for tons of other events-runnning, Cycling, Triathlon, etc, but never climbing.

Totally off-topic, but it seems to me like many aspects for cycling training would be good for climbing training.  Bike racers have to be able to go hard for short and long bursts, events can be everything from short mountain sprints(5-10min) to monster 200 mile(10hr) stamina races.  Mtn bikers even do a huge amount of skills training (and WAY off in left field, but pump tracks are crazy fun).

IS2

• addict
#14 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 05:53:58 pm
I am 61 and about to retire and go full time.  Generally I boulder through the winter and then do routes from March on wards. I have two boards in the garage one very steep and one at about 10 degrees for warming up. I really enjoy long hard training sessions getting completely wasted as a counter to the day job. However I know that this indulgence never builds strength or power.  If I want to get strong then this works for me.
A short warm up stretching and using a theraband along side some old fashioned " burpees " to get the aerobic systems ticking before every session.  I then do three sets of pyramids deadhanging / pulling up  on a bar or finger board from light weight through to medium then  the maximum I can use for three pull ups, then down again. This is followed by lots of stretching.
Day one I use a bar, next day a broad finger edge. Third day  finger board smallest holds I can use.  Rest for two days... Then on the garage board three tries at each of my three nearly can do projects. Rest two days then back to the pull up / lock sessions.

I rarely get very strong because I rarely get through the cycle more than two or three times..... I am easily led and go to the wall and waste hours doing circuits which tire me but produce little gain.  However when I do keep at the short high intensity stuff I have significant gains.

Incidentally I find that good quality stretching makes more impact on actually sending projects than becoming very strong, so long as a keep my fingers strong.

Looking forward to being full time in the Autumn so I can get stuck into some endurance training, which my job has always stopped me doing.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#15 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 08:50:45 pm

Totally off-topic, but it seems to me like many aspects for cycling training would be good for climbing training.  Bike racers have to be able to go hard for short and long bursts, events can be everything from short mountain sprints(5-10min) to monster 200 mile(10hr) stamina races.  Mtn bikers even do a huge amount of skills training (and WAY off in left field, but pump tracks are crazy fun).
[/quote]

I believe that this is where a lot of the new thinking about climbing training has been adapted from, in the UK anyway. Aero Cap, An Cap, An Pow, Aero Pow etc.

Interesting thread btw. I am embarking on my first 'proper' training schedule using the above mentioned theories. I've played at it before but never seen it through all the way. I will be interested to see how i manage the intense weeks. I know i don't recover as well as i did 10 years ago ( i just turned 36 ).

I know it's an idea that seems to be going out of fashion now but i find post exercise stretching really helpful for recovery.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#16 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 10:53:40 pm
I'm getting inspired by all the vet crankers out there! Must try harder  :bow:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#17 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 11:00:00 pm
I know it's an idea that seems to be going out of fashion now but i find post exercise stretching really helpful for recovery.

Not out of fashion for me.  I stretch most mornings for about 10 min and for about 5-10 after most workouts do a combo of foam roll and stretch.  Big believer.....

guru

• www.climbingtraining.it
#18 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 22, 2012, 11:58:00 pm
the reasoning is easely explained (more or less).
in general, the older one gets the longer it takes to recover.
suppose that at 40 years old you are able to recover a long session in 2 days instead of 1 day compared to 20 years before.
if you want to train everyday you should do shorter sessions.. or working different muscles/targets day after day. the fact is that the plan is for Nibile.. and i know that he is so addicted to training that is really impossible to get more than 1 day off.. recovery is like doing some one armer at beastmaker.. :slap:
on the other hand, we have to consider that one key to improving is to vary. to vary in terms of exercises yes, but also in terms of weeks organization. we will try as ever and we will see.

ducko

• junky
#19 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 23, 2012, 12:37:31 am
I'm with crouchy hope I'm crushing at 60!
Also, press ups are good for golfers elbow

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#20 Age, volume and intensity
March 23, 2012, 08:03:46 am

Not out of fashion for me.  I stretch most mornings for about 10 min and for about 5-10 after most workouts do a combo of foam roll and stretch.  Big believer.....

If I don't stretch before a Sesh and after, I just don't recover.
Never injured myself stretching yet, but I have pulled my groin when I leapt into a bouldering Sesh without stretching.....

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#21 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 23, 2012, 09:11:18 am
If I don't stretch before a Sesh and after, I just don't recover.
Never injured myself stretching yet, but I have pulled my groin when I leapt into a bouldering Sesh without stretching.....

Some variance is probably introduced by different people's conception of what constitues a 'stretch'. Most of what i've ever seen people do at walls, crags etc is more just light movement, which is fair enough, although gains will be largely psychological rather than physiological, according to much lit on the subject. If it works for you however, it works and that can't be bad.
Actually lengthening tissues prior to activity is likely to increase injury risk, as you partially disable receptors which send useful messages during activity - ie the tiny tweaky feeling that lets you know that stopping now is a good idea before something goes pop. Sorry can't find the paper right now.

Andy W

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 23, 2012, 09:32:29 am
The thing is within this subject there are so many variables...I think ideally I would warm up more if I had the opportunity, often though a boulder problem is isolated on its own with no easy probs near by, plus its cold etc etc so its feels easier to do a few hangs and pull ups and get on with it. The other day I was doing a problem that involved compression type moves so stretched out my legs, hamstrings etc, probably as the last post identified I'd gone to far, thus after a few goes on the problem, pulled a muscle in my groin!

Recovery issues are again hard to identify, it may well be that as we get older it takes longer to recover, but the fact is that for me my standards are higher now and if I did to my younger body what I do now it would break. I'm not really sure what point I'm trying to make, but it seems its like it always is, take advice, get informed, easier now than ever and then listen to your body. This is the crux I guess because if you have been climbing years then listening to ones body should be second nature...funny how easy it is to ignore though!

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#23 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 23, 2012, 09:50:02 am
I find i don't need much of a warm up and ironies being whenever I do a lengthy warm up I always injure myself!

As a 50 year old punter I'm still fine tuning my warm up strategy, but for routes I'm also tending towards less is more.

I used to warm up with 3-4 straightforward routes of increasing difficulty. This was too much: especially if the routes were easy but steep I would be in danger of a flash pump / getting too tired too early in the session. Currently I'm doing one or two very easy routes or traverses, then a few boulder problems at about the difficulty of the moves on the routes I’m aiming at. (The starts of slightly harder routes are ideal for this if the wall isn’t too busy and I don’t mind buggering up potential onsights.) Then to work.

For bouldering I do a short (10-15 minutes) ARC and/or just start on very easy problems and ramp the difficulty up after a dozen or so.

I do reasonable amounts of mobility and stretching exercises, primarily because I regard them as essential for basic health and only very secondarily because I think they might benefit my climbing. I generally do them in separate sessions rather than as a warm-up/cool down for climbing sessions, but if I do them at the wall then dynamic mobility before, static stretching after.

Where I am still struggling, having recently bought a beastmaker, is how to warm up adequately/safely for that without access to a bouldering wall.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 23, 2012, 10:02:17 am
Where I am still struggling, having recently bought a beastmaker, is how to warm up adequately/safely for that without access to a bouldering wall.

Seen this?

spinmaster

#25 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 24, 2012, 08:06:22 pm
Hi Nibile

I am 40 and used to train one day on and one off. I've now reduced the session length to around 1.5 to 2 hours and training for 6 days with one off. If I feel really good then I do two sessions in a day. The improvements I have been getting are much better than before. Certainly noticed much more muscle mass gain, which I normally struggle with. I find I can't hit my fingers to hard so the 3rd day is always sling training, which works different muscle groups to my normal climbing muscles.

Been doing this for the last 4 weeks with no problems so far. Dropping it off in the next few weeks to focus on routes.

Would be interested to see how you get on.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#26 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 25, 2012, 09:27:47 am
One point that I think that it is always easy to forget in these sort of discussions is that often what makes somebody able to be a top cranker is thier ability to handle the volume of training.

The weekly routine for a top athlete, even if you scaled it down to my abilities and gave me a year or two to build my fitness up enough to cope with it, would break me in a short amount of time. I just don't have the body to cope with that level of exercise.

Also, looking at the comparison with cycling, the thing these days that the road cyclists mainly concentrate on in training is recovery. They do weeks and weeks of massive volume at low intensity sometimes only adding in the top end by doing races. So a normal training ride is 5-6 hours with a cafe stop. This then gives you a much base for coping with the hard stuff when it comes and for recovering from it afterwards.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#27 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 25, 2012, 10:13:55 am
yes, that's a good point.
I've wasted many years training too much and in the wrong way (always at full throttle, never changing routines, no rest periods, etc), so I never had climbing results that were coherent with my training.
but all those years made me able to bear a big load of training now.
I think this is quite common in climbers that started a while ago, when there was less information and everything was trial and error, and error, and error.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#28 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 25, 2012, 10:48:51 am
on another matter, I had an interesting email exchange with The Guru the other day, regarding training intensity.
While I can check my training volume if I need, not overdoing, stopping strong and so on, I find it really difficult to check my intensity.
I previously thought that I should measure the intensity of the session, on an absolute scale, more or less representing the ideal 100% intensity and at the same time my best ever performances.
So on "weak" days, in which I didn't feel very strong or powerful despite trying hard, I would mark that session in my training diary as a "low" intensity session, because my performances weren't high.
I think I was wrong.
I think that the intensity must be measured on the single session, judging what percentage we give of that day specific potential.
So my weak sessions were weak, but their intensity was very high nonetheless.
I found out that I always train at high intensities, because I don't know how much I can give until I give it, and when I give it I give it all because that's what I like.
I think that this is another factor that makes training volume a particularly important factor.
Has anyone else similar experiences respect training intensity? Are you able to train, say, at 70% intensity on a specific session?
Moreover:
how do you judge a problem intensity? Many coaches tell you: set 4 problems at 70% intensity and repeat them, etc...
Do people follow just their sensations, or do they try to use better, more precise methods to check a problem intensity?

Thanks.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#29 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 25, 2012, 12:39:13 pm
Rest days are for kids 8)
I recover far quicker, and am able to tolerate a far higher volume and intensity of training in my 40's than ever I could in my 20's. I don't recover quite as quick as a few years ago, but I also don't have the same appetite for training I did then when I was doing 5 days a week, 2 sessions a day.
Volume and recovery are trainable variables, and it's true that they decline as you get older, BUT.... this is only a problem if you've already hit your genetic max in these areas, and there's nobody on this thread (in the world?) who has to worry about that, so you can always offset this decline with training (unless life gets in the way, which it usually does).
I recently had a bit of a training renaissance, and I've started doing double sessions again. This time (following your example Nibs) I've done my training session (weights and deadhangs) a couple of hours before my climbing sessions, and initially the climbing session was quite compromised, and short, but I'm adapting and I can actually pack in a reasonable level session now, with some blocs at my maximum level - there's always room for adaptation within your genetic capabilities.

Has anyone else similar experiences respect training intensity? Are you able to train, say, at 70% intensity on a specific session?
Moreover:
how do you judge a problem intensity? Many coaches tell you: set 4 problems at 70% intensity and repeat them, etc...
Do people follow just their sensations, or do they try to use better, more precise methods to check a problem intensity?

With the Klimb software I came up with an equation that multiplied the internal value (based on the YDS scale) for a problem exponentially, so that doing one V8 in a session gave a higher volume/intensity score than doing 10 x V1, and it seems to work well. In practice I go by feel on my recovery weeks - I do shorter sessions, take longer rests in between, problems and take two lots of consecutive rest days in the week. I don't drop the grade of the routes/blocs though, I think it's important to keep that high, just reduce the volume.
The best thing about being a bit older (unless you've just started climbing) is that you know your body, you're better able to judge what you can tolerate and how long it'll take you to recover.
As for the original question about short everyday sessions, or longer sessions with rest days; I've done tried both and they each work, it's more a matter of what fits with your training/life balance, and what keeps you motivated.
You're Nibs - motivation isn't an issue :strongbench:

ghisino

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 25, 2012, 12:48:06 pm
The idea to me is that training power you have to be short. The 3 sets of hangs that I am not doing right now, which gains would give? I mean, could I still keep such a high intensity on the second 3 sets, as to make them worth doing? Or would they be a loss of time both in terms of effort and hindering a fast and good compensation?

beast,

from what i recall my french guru saying, the 3 additional sets would probably start to fatigue your actual muscle and tendon tissues. Which would need longer time to compensate, probably even longer as you grow older (but i'm not sure)

At the same time the french guru also said that even for young elite subjects, you really have to dig deep before having a "worthwhile" muscular growth effect in your forearms (ie on mucle fiber and not just on muscle fluids). You'd have to get ubertrashed and find a smart way to do that without hurting your pulleys (negative finger rolls???).

His conclusion was that unless you have a long enough offseason and a disciplined athlete in his/her "building phase" who will trash him/herself for a few months and accept the short-term performance loss, specific strenght is best trained focusing on the neuromuscular factors only.
So the final general presciption was: very brief very intense sessions, almost daily to build strenght  or once a week to maintain.
If possible, best done in the morning after a good sleep (as you are probably the most recovered and neurologically active at that time of the day).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#31 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 26, 2012, 10:57:34 am
Okay that's interesting...

I get that shorter sessions could mean less fatigue and less recovery time.

But surely you need that fatigue to stress your muscles enough to rebuild stronger?

And if you're not doing that and instead focusing on neuromuscular training....well I get that, but surely as a veteran climber your neuromuscular level will be quite good already??

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#32 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 26, 2012, 01:29:52 pm
But surely you need that fatigue to stress your muscles enough to rebuild stronger?

More recent sport science opinion seems to say that there is a point in which you have applied enough stress to your muscles to achieve the required effect of the workout.

After that you are just getting everything more tired and guaranteeing a longer recovery will be needed.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#33 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 26, 2012, 02:00:57 pm
Okay and what is that point then?  ;)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#34 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 26, 2012, 02:17:53 pm
following last two weeks' efforts, I'll stop being a lazy bastard and I'll start posting again on the Power Club.
I want to do this also because yesterday I had a very strong session, coming from four days on.

on a side note,
does anyone know how could I make graphs about performance fluctuations, to check the form in various training periods? I have all the data written down, but a graphic view would be great.
I'm not very good with computers...

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#35 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 26, 2012, 02:34:48 pm

Well that is the tricky bit  :)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#36 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 26, 2012, 02:50:01 pm

More recent sport science opinion seems to say that there is a point in which you have applied enough stress to your muscles to achieve the required effect of the workout.

After that you are just getting everything more tired and guaranteeing a longer recovery will be needed.

An overview of this subject is covered well here: http://www.theclimbingdepot.co.uk/blogs/training/blog-1-the-principles-of-training  but unfortunately there isn't a magic indicator that tells you precisely the optimum point to stop a training session. But, this is the bread and butter of any athlete in whatever discipline constantly questioning such things as what is good overload and overtraining and discriminating between training soreness and pain from injury. There are also moving targets to deal with as you become stale in one area and fresh stimulus/training is needed or perhaps more intensity/density/frequency is required as your body has adapted to cope with current volumes.

If you set out at the start of a training session with a specific adaption in mind (and if you hadn't you should) you  will probably have a good feel of what will work you hard enough in that area to induce the adaption without  tiring you to the extent that it unnecessarily compromises your next training session. The motto of "stopping strong" is quite useful in this respect particularly for power/strength sessions.   

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#37 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 26, 2012, 04:00:10 pm
If you set out at the start of a training session with a specific adaption in mind (and if you hadn't you should)

Does "PULLING HARD ON SMALL HOLDS" count??

Useful explanation, thanks.

JDobo

• regular
#38 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 27, 2012, 10:19:19 am
Not to thread hijack but i was wondering how the lower intensity and higher frequency is for the exact opposite. That would be a younger climber but has not been climbing for a particularly long period of time.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#39 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 27, 2012, 12:28:14 pm
I think that low intensity works only as a build up phase to prepare the body for future training, or as active rest or recovery.
I don't think that a low intensity-only training would gave the same results as higher intensity.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#40 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 27, 2012, 08:29:30 pm
I think that low intensity works only as a build up phase to prepare the body for future training, or as active rest or recovery.
I don't think that a low intensity-only training would gave the same results as higher intensity.

I think the first sentence mixes two different concepts, and misses the importance of goals.  If you goal is build your ability to handle volume (something I see on the powerclub threads), then low intensity is VERY good at building volume.  Nibs is looking at Power/Strength(bouldering) training, so for him this tends to be true. 

The second sentence is very true, though.  The two types of training should be looked at relative to ones own goals.

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#41 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 29, 2012, 02:24:02 pm
on a side note,
does anyone know how could I make graphs about performance fluctuations, to check the form in various training periods? I have all the data written down, but a graphic view would be great.

Nibs the easiest option is probably a spreadsheet tool like Excel but if you have never used it you'll need a someone to show you how it all works - I seem to remember you teach occasionally - there should be someone there who can provide a quick primer or failing that buy a good basic guide to Excel. The only downside will be getting a copy of the software - cheapest option is the Student/Home edition of Office - unless you know someone who can get you a copy ...  :ninja: and supply a licence key ...  :whistle: Another option may be open source type software but as I have never used it I can't comment - perhaps post a query in the appropriate forum of UKB??

I work on a Windows 7 platform so have no idea about Mac based tools etc.

I use Excel to track my various training programmes and it has excellent graph options - if you go the Excel route let me know I'll ping over a copy of one of mine so you can a) have a good laugh, b) use it to customise to record what you want etc

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#42 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 29, 2012, 02:29:40 pm
Another option may be open source type software but as I have never used it I can't comment - perhaps post a query in the appropriate forum of UKB??

LibreOffice is free open source software and will open most M$ documents.

You can also use Google Docs spreadsheets to generate simple graphs.

An over the top solution would also be possible using R and the ggplot2 package (probably easier using RStudio though as a Command Line Interface isn't to everyones taste).

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#43 Re: Age, volume and intensity
March 29, 2012, 02:52:11 pm
on a side note,

Nibs the easiest option is probably a spreadsheet tool like Excel

I use Excel to track my various training programmes and it has excellent graph options - if you go the Excel route let me know I'll ping over a copy of one of mine so you can a) have a good laugh, b) use it to customise to record what you want etc

yes I have Excel on my pc, I use Windows XP. I'd like to see a sample, if you please. many thanks!!!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#44 Re: Age, volume and intensity
August 10, 2012, 07:03:41 pm
I resurrect this to re-post a question that didn't get a precise answer (or it did but I did not understand it).
I always note the volume and intensity of my sessions, from 1 to 10.
I judge them relatively to the session, and not to a maximum that I know I have.
If I give my maximum in two different sessions, in one feeling weak and in another feeling strong, I note both sessions, the weak one and the strong one, with a high intensity mark, let's say 8/9.
Am I correct in doing this?
Or should I understand that I'm having a weak session and note it with a low mark because I'm performing poorly with respect to my absolute maximum?
Thanks.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#45 Re: Age, volume and intensity
August 10, 2012, 10:55:50 pm
I thought I would just chip in with my unhelpful comments  ;D

I'll be 40 in October, my training - and therefore fitness - is down the pan. It's not directly related to age, more to do with having 2 children and having to re-train and set up 4 businesses at once. If I ever get time to climb more than once a week again, I shall look back at this thread for pointers  :lol:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#46 Re: Age, volume and intensity
August 11, 2012, 08:31:10 am
If I ever get time to climb more than once a week again,

I think once a week is enough for you to retain your DFBWGC membership, so that's one good thing your not missing out on.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#47 Re: Age, volume and intensity
August 11, 2012, 01:41:14 pm
Lagers, you are completely deluded (unless there is a Dead Fat Birds Who Go Climbing thread that I have missed).

I have not been posted on that thread since the lovely andi_e posted - ooh, must be back in 1985 now?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#48 Re: Age, volume and intensity
August 11, 2012, 06:15:30 pm
I resurrect this to re-post a question that didn't get a precise answer (or it did but I did not understand it).
I always note the volume and intensity of my sessions, from 1 to 10.
I judge them relatively to the session, and not to a maximum that I know I have.
If I give my maximum in two different sessions, in one feeling weak and in another feeling strong, I note both sessions, the weak one and the strong one, with a high intensity mark, let's say 8/9.
Am I correct in doing this?
Or should I understand that I'm having a weak session and note it with a low mark because I'm performing poorly with respect to my absolute maximum?
Thanks.

I think the depends on what you're trying to see.  Whenever I've tried to track intensity and volume, it's been to carefully monitor training load to avoid overtraining.  If you can't hit your target intensity for the training session, you need to evaluate why.  It could be an isolated occurrence due to sleep, diet, etc, but it could also be an indication of overtraining.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#49 Re: Age, volume and intensity
August 11, 2012, 11:14:00 pm
I'd agree with Sasquatch on that.

The most important thing to note is that you performed well below expectations. That is what needs highlighting, however you record it.

For me i would show it was a max effort ( as long as it was a max physical effort and not a poor session due to lack of psyche ) but highlight it as a poor session. If you note it down as an easy session you run the risk of not seeing the warning signs of over training/under resting and trying to push on through.

i avoid this problem by never trying very hard.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal