UKBouldering.com

Deadhang Shoulder Pain (Read 4873 times)

SOH

Deadhang Shoulder Pain
April 04, 2012, 09:53:38 am
Just wondered if anyone else has had any experience with this. A few months ago I suffered a shoulder tweak while deadhanging, I was trying to hang alternate holds when my right hand slipped off the sloper I was holding and my weight suddenly went onto my left arm, there was a definite sharp pain and any subsequent hangs also caused pain so naturally I stopped. The following week i tried deadhanging again and I noticed I couldn't hold a hang without my left shoulder getting very tired and eventually getting painful much quicker than right shoulder. I took a lay-off from dead hangs and once shoulder mobility seemed like it was back to normal I began some rotator cuff exercises. I definitely noitced a weakness in my left shoulder when doing exercises like external rotations but happily no pain. So last night i tried to deadhang again but the same problem has come back, my left shoulder gives out much quicker than my finger grip or my right shoulder and now the pain has returned a bit as well. Current plan in motion is trying to find a decent shoulder physio but just wondered if anyone else has ever had similar shoulder niggles that don't seem to go away.
Cheers

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1 Deadhang Shoulder Pain
April 04, 2012, 12:44:54 pm
Yes.
I had a similar sounding problem (in the right), possibly caused by a similar incident (though I'm not sure TBH).
I didn't manage to get around to finding a Physio (which would be the best thing to do). I seem to have resolved the problem by increasing the number and variety of shoulder exercises, starting light and gradually increasing weight/intensity.
I realised I had an inherent weakness/imbalance in my shoulder strength, which I believe made me prone to such an injury.
Persistence with rotator cuff exercises, press ups, Mil press, up-right rowing, butterflies and tricep extensions as well as lots of mobility stretching; over around two months, seem to have laid it to rest.
Maybe...

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#2 Re: Deadhang Shoulder Pain
April 04, 2012, 10:53:40 pm
Current plan in motion is trying to find a decent shoulder physio
:goodidea:

Were you always careful to deadhang on not dead straight arms? sagging into your shoulders when deadhanging is a great way of knackering some things in your shoulder.

Oppostion and theraband exercises are probably more effective as a preventative measure for shoulder problems than a treatment, though they may help. You need to have someone look at it though.

SOH

#3 Re: Deadhang Shoulder Pain
April 07, 2012, 09:40:41 am
Yep i always deadhang with tight shoulders and slightly flexed elbows

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal