UKBouldering.com

Bruised heel - or worse? (Read 8128 times)

Duma

• forum hero
Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 03:12:50 pm
So, I jumped off Desparete from the break on Thurs afternoon (coz I'm an idiot and hadn't been round to have a look at/make a plan for/brush the trivial top section), only had one old pad and i bottomed out on a stone in the landing, hurting my left heel in the process. Was pretty painful at the time, but subsided to being just painful when weighted pretty quick. I managed okay for the rest of the day by walking around on my toes, only mild discomfort really - unless I forgot and weighted it, which was really fucking sore. Drove home okay, and have had the days since free, so have mostly sat on the sofa with my feet up. So far so good, but it's really not much better (perhaps a little) today - getting on for three days later - do I need to worry about this? Seems unlikely that it would be so bearable if I've damaged the bone somehow, but I'd expected the bruising to be better by now.

cofe

• forum hero
#1 Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 03:31:46 pm
That sucks. I bruised mine badly about 10 years ago; it hurt like hell and took quite a while to get better. I think basically cos you can't keep your weight off it. I just remember trying to rest and elevate it when I could. I'm not a medical professional.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 06:17:33 pm
dropped 1 metre onto a flat rock, bruised heel for 2 weeks. Could have been worse. No effect on climbing, although I was walking like Butch Cassidy for a while.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 06:27:20 pm
dropped 1 metre onto a flat rock, bruised heel for 2 weeks. Could have been worse. No effect on climbing, although I was walking like Butch Cassidy for a while.

Your usual post sex walk then? ;)

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 06:31:58 pm
fortunately its not too far to your curtains.  :ninja:

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 06:48:27 pm
fortunately its not too far to your curtains.  :ninja:

I'd only just washed them after last time.... sighs...

Kingy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 07:07:27 pm
I took a nasty spill of Atari in Bishop and managed to miss the mat and go off the ledge onto a flat rock from 15 foot up, lucky I glanced the ledge on the way down which took some of the sting out of the fall. i badly bruised my right heel and the ball of my left foot. It didn't seem broken, just deeply bruised. I continued climbing on it for the rest of the trip but had trouble walking properly, was hobbling around a fair bit. The good news is that it became manageable fairly quickly and I could walk fine after a week or two. However, it took a few months to go away and even now if I land heavily on it, it makes its presence felt. I think blood flow to that area is so poor that healing a bruised bone takes ages.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 08:09:45 pm
I have broken my heel and bruised both regularly. Most recently last week in Font. A bad bruise can be sore for a few weeks. I would give it another while before going to the doctor. If you broke it you would konw all about it.

Try icing maybe?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 08:16:15 pm
I fell between two mats at a comp last summer, and although I wasn't high I went straight onto concrete. At first was ok, next morning sore. It was the external edge, so it was relatively fine to walk, but whenever I loaded that spot in the following weeks it was very painful.

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 09:11:24 pm
Cheers all, sounds like I'm just being paranoid. Will pull my finger out and do a bit more icing too.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 09:47:43 pm
campus everywhere you need to go instead of walking?

dave

#11 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 10:02:19 pm
When I first built my woodie but hadn't got many mats down there I pinged off it and twatted the back of my heel on the stone floor. Foot must only have dropped 18inches to the floor but fuck me it swelled up like a bastard. I couldn't get a proper rockshoe on at all, had to dig out and old knackered moccasym. Thus my remedy is find an old moccasym.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#12 Bruised heel - or worse?
March 04, 2012, 10:23:19 pm
Yep, I pinged off an edge warming up on a wall and caught a jug, about a foot lower, with my heel. Knackered my heel and Achilles. Took months for the bruising/pain to fade.
Iirc, it took a few days for the bruise to show.
Basically, it hurt like hell but looked normal.

Duma

• forum hero
#13 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
May 04, 2012, 10:54:52 am
Just in case anyone finds this topic: climbing wise couldn't put a rock boot on for a week, then gradual improvement (okay dropping off if careful from 10 days or so), but heel hooking only pain free after 6weeks or so. Mobility wise walking on toes for about three or four weeks, by then achilles was starting to complain, but faded over week 4-6, and could run on it pain free after 6-7 weeks.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Bruised heel - or worse?
May 04, 2012, 10:59:12 am
Good to hear you've healed.

Fractured my calcaneus  coming off in Font (brother was rolling a fag instead of spotting properly, heel off the back of mat on a tree stump).  Most uncomfortable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal