Yeah....  8)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#277 Re: Re: Deadlifting
May 03, 2013, 11:22:38 pm
Cheers for the link   136-140kg  :whip:

I hear what you are saying about the training but as I don't really climb that seriously any more its not a problem   :shrug:

This is dynamite. "Thinnest man on planet dispels concerns about possibility of big legs". :)

ianv

• forum abuser
#278 Re: Deadlifting
May 04, 2013, 10:27:03 am
"Thinnest man on planet dispels concerns about possibility of big legs".

I think its a physical impossibility for me to develop big legs. Loads of riding, a fair bit of weights and they are still skinny as fuck  :(

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#279 Re: Deadlifting
May 08, 2013, 10:15:53 pm
Lifted 180kg tonight. Pretty psyched about that. 76kg bodyweight. Feeling strong on the rock too, burly.

mark s

• junky
#280 Re: Deadlifting
June 27, 2013, 04:31:46 pm
I have got the mrs into lifting heavy weights after it finally sunk in that pink dumbells and fitness classes do nowt to change your shape.
She has done a week now learning all the moves and likes her deadlifting and squatting.had her doing 40k.
I did some today,not done any heavy for a while now but did 180 OK so thought I'd go for a pb of 210 and failed ,well that's a target now for a month

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#281 Re: Deadlifting
June 27, 2013, 05:10:00 pm
Unlucky, went for 210kg myself a month or so back and got bar to mid thigh but no lock out, close but no cigar! Had done 205kg the week before ok , amazing how much difference 5kg makes!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#282 Re: Deadlifting
June 27, 2013, 06:09:46 pm
Fucking beasts!
I didn't do any serious lifting as of late, but I try to go to the gym once every ten days or so, and I basically do one armers and the likes, but I've recently added some snatch high pulls in my routine and they are brutal on the upper body!!!
I found them here http://www.tnation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/high_pull_for_the_power_look
Forget the silly title.

rich d

• forum hero
#283 Re: Deadlifting
June 27, 2013, 07:28:51 pm
If I could do one armers nibs, I'd go to the gym and do them too!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#284 Re: Deadlifting
August 16, 2013, 06:41:39 pm
So, I haven't lifted metal in AGES!  Maybe more than a year. In the same time I've lost around 6kg (probably 50/50 muscle/fat at a guess).

I'm offshore this week and thought I might want to work on general BURLINESS sin preparation for getting totally chewed up and spat out on the big walls of Yosemite. Started off with some nice easy running and then did circuits incorporating of the following:

Deadlifts: 20 kg x 12 (2 sets) and 30kg x 12 (1 set)
Squats: 20kg x 10 (only ended up doing 2 sets of these)
Medecine ball vertical thow and catch situps.
Dumbell Lateral raises 10kg each side x 10
Dumbell bench press 20kg (iirc) x 12
Bicep Curls (to look buff in camp IV) 15kg x 10

Now, I didn't feel like I was going overly hard at any of these and I'm in pretty good shape just now. (climbing/biking 4 to 5 days a week) but man, I don't have DOMS, I AM DOMS. Shoulders, neck, abs, adductor longus (between hams and groin, from the sqauts), quads, biceps, traps. ALL got DOMS.  The adductors are the worst though - I'm walking like John Wayne....    :weakbench:

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#285 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 09:17:12 am
The DOMS are still killing. Could barely squeeze out a turd this morning due to painful abs!

Any tips for improving recovery from the DOMS? Any time I've had them before it usually goes away and then the second gym session doesn't cause too many issues. At this rate I'll not get back in the Gym before I hit the beach (as in demobilise, not Jersey beach).

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#286 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 10:01:32 am
For weight lifters, the sore ache of DOMS is a welcome sign that exercise has been fruitful, muscles have been stimulated and will grow.
I'm sure you know this but it's particularly bad this time because you haven't lifted in a while. If you continue to work out the DOMS will progressively decrease very quickly.

That being said it's still good to minimize DOMS and recovery time. The best antidote is prevention - eating carbs and protein(people recommend something in the neighborhood of 4:1 carbs to protein) in the 30 minutes to an hour after working out is the best time window  -- your body will absorb the nutrients the best and it will improve recovery time and reduce DOMS.

Failing that i think you should just get as much good sleep and nutrition as possible. I dont think there are any shortcuts. Massage can help a bit.

Also while you are probably in too much pain today you should be able to climb(at least route climbing) tomorrow if the muscles aren't aching too bad. My experience is that while climbing uses strength, it generally doesnt stress the muscles the same as weight lifting does so there's no harm and thought it might be a bit achy at first once you get warmed up it's basically like normal.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:13:37 am by krymson »

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#287 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 10:55:45 am
Ain't no climbing walls on an oilrig!

Lack of Carbs/Protein after probably didn't help. No time to get to the gym before dinner, no food available after dinner. (except ice cream - I wonder if it hits the 4:1 ratio ;-)

Maybe I shoul;d try and get up early  :yawn: and go before breakfast next time. 5:20 alarm will be brutal though...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#288 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 11:12:20 am
Nutrition is crucial... There's a window of approximetely 45/75 minutes after the workout, in which nutrients, especially carbs, are stored directly as glycogen in muscles, to become the first source of energy used in the next effort. After that, nutrients are stored "normally", not as muscle glycogen and can eventually become fat.
So, skipping the post session meal is very likey to kill your recovery. I'd do everything to avoid that. Maybe steal some food in the morning to be eaten after lifting?

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#289 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 12:03:48 pm
All the protein and carbs in the world aint gonna stop you aching after smashing a gym sesh when you've not done it for a while!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#290 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 12:10:31 pm
All the protein and carbs in the world aint gonna stop you aching after smashing a gym sesh when you've not done it for a while!

True that!

I was quite surprised how much it hurts after quite light weights, next time I'll need to drop down to 10/15kg squats for my first session - I think I may have quite weak adductors. I might actually put some effort in this autumn got get my legs strong for the ski/winter season. am I correct in thinking I should keep the weights high and reps low (5 or less) if I don't want to gain too myuch bulk? I'm aboput 90% vegeterian these days (the lass is veggie) so I might need to start adding some lean meat/fish in to post session meals. Nom nom.

I'm not so surprised by the abs - those medecine ball sit ups are quite taxing! 

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#291 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 12:15:22 pm

[/quote]

next time I'll need to drop down to 10/15kg squats for my first session - I think I may have quite weak adductors.
[/quote]

Negative, if the ache's gone, push on and up the weight, even by a little bit. Go big or go home. simples!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#292 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 12:20:03 pm
Sorry, that was poorly worded. What I actually meant was:- the next time I've done f'all for months and decide to hit the gym, I'll need to drop the weights down.

Anyone else do the power snatch :-

I remember them being recommended by some climbing/conditioning pseudo expert in an article a few years ago. He said they're both good for explosive all-body power AND great for targetting some of the scapula/rotator cuff muscles that get underused and weak due to climbing. They also feel great!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#293 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 12:22:40 pm
Yes that's true. You'll ache nonetheless, but eating properly your muscles will recover properly, and you'll get stronger.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#294 Re: Deadlifting
August 17, 2013, 12:27:10 pm
I've done a few power snatches, but having good technique without some serious and direct coaching was very hard and I didn't feel safe to go heavy. Plus, they were very dangerous for my knees. When I lift now, I just do snatch pulls. From hanging the bar at mid thighs to pulling it at shoulders height.
They engage less the legs and this is good for me.
Lifting is very very fun.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#295 Re: Deadlifting
August 18, 2013, 01:40:46 pm
Yes I agree. Been trying Olly lifts recently but the movements aren't easy to learn.
I feel like it's not worth the effort without proper coaching, so sticking with standard lifts for now.

This week I did squats for the first time in a while which had an immediate and significant difference in body tension ability.

I did the squats Tuesday and a very physical undercling with distant feet at the bouldering gym  which was quite strenuous when i tried it  on Monday felt much easier today.

DOMS in the ass-al area for two days after the fact made it clear that glutes and hams were recruited significantly, and in a different way than in deadlifts, which im already strong at.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:55:23 pm by krymson »

pyrosis

• addict
#296 Re: Deadlifting
September 02, 2013, 02:58:23 pm
120Kg x5 reps last night - felt like my back was going to explode but today it feels fine. Douglas, your DL is very strong so I am curious - how often do you train it? How many sets? And how often do you go for singles? I've been training the DL once per week, 5 warmup sets plus 1 heavy set of 5 - it keeps going up slowly but it's kind of a boring protocol to follow

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#297 Re: Deadlifting
September 02, 2013, 06:35:09 pm
I trained deadlifts on and off last winter doing 3 sessions a week initially, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, then dropped deadlifts on a Wednesday and did a dumbbell session instead because I was getting a tired back. To warm up I do 10 reps at 60 kg, then 5 reps at 80, 100, 120, 130 for a workout at 140kg for example. Working sets are 5 reps with 2 minutes rest, repeated for 5 sets. Our warm ups are similar but I do 5 working sets at my max weight then I up it by 2.5 or 5kg the next session. I train with straps to save my forearms for the fingerboard and I only use a belt when I'm going for a 1RM which is every 4 months or so but I'm obviously really careful about my form.

As well as the deadlifts I do bent over rows,  power cleans and hang cleans which add back strength. I also do pull ups, bench and overhead press to round things out.

pyrosis

• addict
#298 Re: Deadlifting
September 03, 2013, 04:08:38 pm
Thanks for the beta! That seems counter to what I have read on the DL - 5x5 is a lot of volume! The literature I have read suggests that this would be too much volume for the back but in this case I think that you have proved that, for you at least, the literature is incorrect. I'm not so sure my low back could handle 5x5 twice per week, but 1x5 once per week might be too little for optimal gains.. hmmm

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#299 Re: Deadlifting
September 03, 2013, 06:10:37 pm
I do a similar warmup and then aim for 2 days of 3sets of 5reps.  (FYI-I'm doing my max sets at about 315lbs, so 143kg).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal