UKBouldering.com

Deadlifting (Read 242914 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#225 Re: Deadlifting
November 07, 2012, 12:53:05 am
No straps. Straps for are powerlifters and body builders not athletes.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#226 Re: Deadlifting
November 07, 2012, 06:30:54 am
It would be interesting to experiment a good lifting session before a climbing day to check if it was just a coincidence or can be taken advantage of.
I'm keeping up with this experiment, yesterday I was due to train at a friends' Moonboard and so the day before I went to the gym.
I did the usual session, snatch, deadlift, press and left. Really pushed it despite not feeling perfect.
Yesterday on the board I felt good. It was very hot and my skin was terrible, but I managed a 7c+ second go, with an impressive - for me - core. My friend, always too kind with me, texted me later "I wanted to try the 7c+ but the holds are all cracked".
Obviously I can't tell how I would have performed without the lifting session, maybe 8a maybe 7b, but for sure I think it did no harm to the climbing itself.
Unfortunately now I can't lift on Fridays due to my climbing classes, and on Saturdays the gym closes early, so I don't know. It could be a lifting session on a Thursday, Friday Beastmaker at home before the class, Saturday and Sunday climbing.
We'll see.
Keep the fucking faith.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#227 Re: Deadlifting
November 07, 2012, 07:37:38 am
Thanks. Mixed grip or not?

mark s

• junky
#228 Re: Deadlifting
November 07, 2012, 07:45:37 am
try both,which ever feels best.i only ever did mixed grip.i always used a belt when over 3 plates

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#229 Re: Deadlifting
November 07, 2012, 08:31:59 am
Thanks. Mixed grip or not?

I'd say not, it'll let you lift more but you start to build asymmetries.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#230 Re: Deadlifting
November 07, 2012, 11:14:07 am
I use a mixed grip when going heavy and alternate which hand is over/under to keep things even. I don't use straps or a belt either.

But there are some that don't like the mixed grip, believing it can result in a teared bicep.

mark s

• junky
#231 Re: Deadlifting
November 28, 2012, 07:37:22 pm
just watching world strongest man. a bloke just did 11 reps with 350kg  :strongbench: :strongbench:

rodma

• forum hero
#232 Re: Deadlifting
November 28, 2012, 10:37:20 pm
Just watched it too.

We are sooooooooo weak in comparison

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#233 Re: Deadlifting
December 06, 2012, 12:47:00 pm
Can;t fucking deadlift much at the mo as the bar is pressing on my A2 injury and I can't maintain a good grip  FFS  >:(

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#234 Re: Deadlifting
December 06, 2012, 03:18:49 pm
Can;t fucking deadlift much at the mo as the bar is pressing on my A2 injury and I can't maintain a good grip  FFS  >:(

Straps?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#235 Re: Deadlifting
December 06, 2012, 04:11:53 pm
Do I have to? People (both at the gym and on this forum) will think I'm some sort of pro, and then fall about laughing that I can't even lift 2XBW  :'(

(p.s. good idea)

mark s

• junky
#236 Re: Deadlifting
December 07, 2012, 10:09:53 am
Do I have to? People (both at the gym and on this forum) will think I'm some sort of pro, and then fall about laughing that I can't even lift 2XBW  :'(

(p.s. good idea)

dont worry,they wont think you are a pro saying 2xbw,they deal in kg's  :strongbench:

get some straps,they are useful.also good for lat pull downs and t bar/bent over rows.your grip will start to give before your back muscles and afterall it is your back you are training.

mark s

• junky
#237 Re: Deadlifting
December 19, 2012, 07:55:32 pm
was going to do some deadlifting today.started back at the gym this week,did legs yesterday and my legs  are crippled.
deadlifting would have needed the A+E afterwards.3 months no lifting and i am  :weakbench: x10

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#238 Re: Deadlifting
December 19, 2012, 08:35:08 pm
Does anyone think there is a relative cap on climbing applicable strength from DL?

I can 3 sets of 5 reps of 2xbw and am pretty much thinking I don't really need to get stronger in this area. 

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#239 Re: Deadlifting
December 20, 2012, 07:18:59 pm
I would guess that you are about there...? I can 5x5 at 1.7BW and think my body strength is not far off what I need. Depends how hard you are pulling with your hands I guess, Nalle, Malc, Daniel could probably deadlift more because they can transmit more power to the rock through their fingers.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#240 Re: Deadlifting
December 20, 2012, 07:39:26 pm
I would guess that you are about there...? I can 5x5 at 1.7BW and think my body strength is not far off what I need. Depends how hard you are pulling with your hands I guess, Nalle, Malc, Daniel could probably deadlift more because they can transmit more power to the rock through their fingers.

Now I'm confused?  Why would having stronger fingers also lend itself to a stronger DL?  IME, it's the other way around...

That said I would guess they're reasonably strong at DL(%bw) because their BW is so low...  They all weigh like 50-60kg instead of my 80+kg....

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#241 Re: Deadlifting
December 20, 2012, 08:41:19 pm
The way I see it is that as your fingers get stronger, your body needs to get stronger to hold the more demanding positions. And as those climbers have very strong fingers, their bodies must be strong as well. It's the rusty car analogy in Performance Rock Climbing. Thoughts?

mark s

• junky
#242 Re: Deadlifting
December 20, 2012, 09:03:19 pm

That said I would guess they're reasonably strong at DL(%bw) because their BW is so low...  They all weigh like 50-60kg instead of my 80+kg....

yeah, its a lot easier to have a higher power to weight if you weigh the same as a girl

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#243 Re: Deadlifting
January 08, 2013, 12:23:22 pm
This is the vid I use to drill in the proper technique which I followed carefully due to back problems and had no problems

Ok, new to the club. I've read the first and last few pages of this thread. Without reading the remainder right now, is this the accepted technique, pushing off heels, or has anyone posted anything else. I always envisaged my back being a lot more upright but  :shrug: obviously
Cheers

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#244 Re: Deadlifting
January 16, 2013, 12:10:04 pm
Long time lurker/procrastinator on this thread.

Finally got a key cut for the rugby club's (who I've played a couple of games for in the past) weights room, so I plan to head down tonight and get my deadlifting career off the ground (pun intended)!!
Going to start very light and work on proper technique and add weight from there, maybe only adding a plate or two at the end of the session.

I've never done any weightlifting before and have injured my lower back a couple of times (partially herniated disk and partially torn disk on separate occasions, one of which was playing for the aforementioned rugby team), so this is a little risky but at the same time strengthening my lower back and core in general is also my main motivation here.

I'll post up how I get on and am going to be using Shark's video to work form tonight. Oh and I'm 6'6" and 97kg... 2x BW = 194kg?!?!  :ohmy:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#245 Re: Deadlifting
January 16, 2013, 04:11:06 pm
This is the vid I use to drill in the proper technique which I followed carefully due to back problems and had no problems

Ok, new to the club. I've read the first and last few pages of this thread. Without reading the remainder right now, is this the accepted technique, pushing off heels, or has anyone posted anything else. I always envisaged my back being a lot more upright but  :shrug: obviously
Cheers

Yes. Deadlifting is primarily a hinge motion betwen the hips and core, so your back will start off at close to a 45degree angle and move to vertical.
I've never done any weightlifting before and have injured my lower back a couple of times (partially herniated disk and partially torn disk on separate occasions, one of which was playing for the aforementioned rugby team), so this is a little risky but at the same time strengthening my lower back and core in general is also my main motivation here.

I'll post up how I get on and am going to be using Shark's video to work form tonight. Oh and I'm 6'6" and 97kg... 2x BW = 194kg?!?!  :ohmy:
Not really too risky as long as you are very patient and take your time.  I'm no doc, but in general it seems like post injury for most people, getting back into strenuous activity is good for the final stage of the healing process. 

Fatboy

• menacing presence
#246 Re: Deadlifting
January 16, 2013, 04:15:50 pm

Not really too risky as long as you are very patient and take your time.  I'm no doc, but in general it seems like post injury for most people, getting back into strenuous activity is good for the final stage of the healing process.

Thanks for the reassurance Sasquatch!  :smirk:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#247 Re: Deadlifting
January 16, 2013, 04:41:04 pm

Cheers

Yes. Deadlifting is primarily a hinge motion betwen the hips and core, so your back will start off at close to a 45degree angle and move to vertical.

Cheers, done about five sessions now and it doesn't feel anything like as bad as expected in that position, I'm also a former prolapsed disc sufferer so really feared I'd pop it straight out first lift.

Taking it slow to get the technique learned and reduce the chance of  injury, up to six lifts of 120% BW, might chuck another 10kg on next time which will be 133%.  Can already feel the difference this and the Turkish Get-Ups are making on "normal" core/abs exercises, so much stronger on them.  Like everyone at this stage, wondering why I waited so long.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
#248 Re: Deadlifting
January 17, 2013, 09:32:54 am
So, first deadlifting and general weights session last night...

Tried with just the 20 kg bar first and practised the movement with the aim of getting good technique before adding weight.
Technique felt natural so started adding weight, probably quicker than I should have but I got caught up in the buzz!  :look:

Ended up doing;
5 x 20kg
6 x 40kg
10 x 60kg
5 x 60kg
6 x 80kg

80kg felt heavy after everything before it and not even 1 x BW!
Will probably leave it at that for this week and go twice next week, once I've let me back have a few days off.
Back felt fine while doing it and front of quads felt most tired part of me afterwards! 5km run the next morning stretched them oput though.

yankcranker

• god's country
  • blazed
#249 Re: Deadlifting
January 17, 2013, 01:36:30 pm
All the lifts should really be driven from the heels.  Learning a good squat and wall squat technique will help

any links to a thread/blog write up on your gym jones experience? sounds rad, big fan of twight's...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal