Deadlifting (Read 242824 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#175 Re: Deadlifting
July 14, 2012, 06:45:10 am
I've been doing a few gentle lifts as part of my ankle rehab

main difficulties have been - getting into a decent starting position due to the limited range of movement (starting with bar 30cm from floor) - and trying to get more of the weight through my heels

managed 150kg yesterday

which might sound reasonable until you realise that this is not much more than 150% BW  :weakbench:

still, it's a great confidence booster and is far more interesting than yet more fucking leg presses

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#176 Re: Deadlifting
July 19, 2012, 12:47:43 pm
I'm getting quite into deadlifting- PB after 3 sessions is 90kg- 1.5xBW.

I do other core training as well but I find deadlifting has hit some real weaknesses as some of the other core I do seems easier now and (more importantly) it's affected my climbing- on steep crimpy stuff my weak fingers are really highlighted! Most noticable is the improvement in my ability to find no-hands rests- I suddenly seem to be able to just 'stand there' and shake both arms out in quite surprising places.

Anyway, I've got most of my weight from Ebay and Gumtree and one guy sold me three 10kg plates so I have an 'odd' one that it seems unlikely I'll find a matching partner for- it's a vinyl one so quite big and wide compared to iron ones. How important is it to have  precise match on both sides of the bar? Can I get away with just getting any old 10kg plate to pair it with?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#177 Re: Deadlifting
July 19, 2012, 01:12:32 pm
I'm getting quite into deadlifting- PB after 3 sessions is 90kg- 1.5xBW.

I do other core training as well but I find deadlifting has hit some real weaknesses as some of the other core I do seems easier now and (more importantly) it's affected my climbing- on steep crimpy stuff my weak fingers are really highlighted! Most noticable is the improvement in my ability to find no-hands rests- I suddenly seem to be able to just 'stand there' and shake both arms out in quite surprising places.

Anyway, I've got most of my weight from Ebay and Gumtree and one guy sold me three 10kg plates so I have an 'odd' one that it seems unlikely I'll find a matching partner for- it's a vinyl one so quite big and wide compared to iron ones. How important is it to have  precise match on both sides of the bar? Can I get away with just getting any old 10kg plate to pair it with?

That's great news. Cant see the diameter of the weight being important provided its the right size hole for your bar though vinyl weights aren't cool. Also to save you buying more weights have you tried pistol squats or Sasquatch's one legged deadlift? Take some footage as it could be comical.

Dr T

• forum hero
#178 Re: Deadlifting
July 19, 2012, 08:03:18 pm
For info to those looking for extra weight I just got 60 kg off ebay for £79.99 which is pretty cheap with the normal price seeming to be about £2 a kg

rodma

• forum hero
#179 Re: Deadlifting
July 20, 2012, 12:53:15 pm
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just checked on the york website and their 1" diameter bars are only rated to 125Kg. I had noticed the bar bending quite a lot, but didn't think much of it. It would be a disaster if the bar snapped during a lift, could do all sorts of damage to person, let alone property  :'(

Looks like i need to obtain a grown-up set of weights.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#180 Re: Deadlifting
July 27, 2012, 08:16:35 pm
Impressive pukelifting skills

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#181 Re: Deadlifting
July 30, 2012, 11:24:29 am
Vile, why did I even click on that, should be in the log pile / how weird are some people thread  :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#182 Re: Deadlifting
July 30, 2012, 11:26:07 am
On topic, I'm doing 5x70, 5x80, 5x90 and 5x100 each weights session and my back doesn't feel so tired/achey afterwards which is good. Couple more sessions like that and I'll try a bit heavier. Managed 90kg squats the other day which isn't bad for someone who can't run 10 minutes  :whip:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#183 Re: Deadlifting
July 30, 2012, 12:47:33 pm
I watched the 56kg men's Olympic lifting yesterday

little men doing clean and jerk with more weight than I can deadlift

winner did 168kg on his clean and jerk

3 times bodyweight

amazing

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#184 Re: Deadlifting
August 07, 2012, 07:13:30 am
Had a second session ever yesterday, Managing 3 reps on 120 which felt quite hard and still 20kg short of 2x BW. I've got long sparrow legs so guessing its normal for my hamstrings and the very top of legs to lower arse area to feel worked?

Good to read other people go a bit dizzy too and sit down between sets! Assumed it was the sudden rush of blood to the legs which aren't used to doing anything most of the time!

I'm a bit scared not to use a belt as hoppo Sr used to do a lot of weightlifting and told me to always use one for deadlift? Are there any negatives to using one? Maybe having it too tight increases the feeling of light headedness?

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#185 Re: Deadlifting
August 07, 2012, 11:11:39 am
Yes, the hamstrings and glutes get worked hard when deadlfiting.

The light headedness is the rush of blood away from the head, I get that too so I tend just to do single reps when going heavy.

I don't feel the need to use a belt myself, they are more aimed at helping support the lower back / abs / core to assist the lift, which is sort of defeating the purpose of doing them I think.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#186 Re: Deadlifting
September 28, 2012, 10:00:04 pm
Should I try squats if I want to improve my deadlift? Will this make me a better climber? I think not but guys at the gym are saying squats are key for a heavier deadlift... I think they've got little to do with climbing so not really what I want? I've done very little gym work but am finding deadlifting surprisingly easy.

I'm also surprised that the weight is rolling out of my hands... I though climbers had a strong grip!

rodma

• forum hero
#187 Re: Deadlifting
September 30, 2012, 09:11:11 pm
Should I try squats if I want to improve my deadlift? Will this make me a better climber? I think not but guys at the gym are saying squats are key for a heavier deadlift... I think they've got little to do with climbing so not really what I want? I've done very little gym work but am finding deadlifting surprisingly easy.

I'm also surprised that the weight is rolling out of my hands... I though climbers had a strong grip!

Your grip will be adequate for climbing and there is no reason for it to be any stronger unless you train it (my limit on deadlift without straps is unsurprisingly around 2x bodyweight)

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#188 Re: Deadlifting
September 30, 2012, 10:41:43 pm
Okay cheers (this was 2x bodyweight)

rodma

• forum hero
#189 Re: Deadlifting
October 01, 2012, 07:34:03 am
We had a physio student down the wall about ten years ago measuring grip strength and about 90% of those of us tested were within 15% (either over or under) of their own bodyweight. There was the odd exception, like a strong traddy (won't name names without encouragement) who only got about 60% bodyweight, but he crimps everything so not entirely unsurprising.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#190 Re: Deadlifting
October 28, 2012, 05:51:54 pm
Ouch  :o

I decided to start doing some training before the start of the ski season. I haven't actually been in the gym for about a year.

Warmed up and then got on with some front squats and deadlifts. By the second set I was really starting to feel something in my hamstring/glute/groin area complaining. Not a pull - more like having the DOMS, but, instant rather than the day after.

Dropped the weight a bit and did a few more but tried not to push it. 3 days of pain followed! Something deep in my hamstrings, possibly this:  http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/thighmuscles/posteriormuscles/semimembranosus/tutorial.html

Anyone else had this?

A week later I went back in and swapped to overhead squats and skipped the deadlifts but did some lunges and some 1-arm snatches. A bit of DOMS in the quads and a the hamstrings but not nearly as bad as before.

Is there a way of preventing the hamstring problems? Or just take it easier to begin with?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#191 Re: Deadlifting
October 29, 2012, 04:07:35 pm
easier to begin with.....

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#192 Re: Deadlifting
October 29, 2012, 06:32:54 pm
Is there a way of preventing the hamstring problems? Or just take it easier to begin with?

Like what Sasquatch says.

That pain could come from squatting if you haven't been in the gym for a bit. Go easy on the squats and/or keep the DLs and squats in separate workouts for a bit and you'll be reet.

Sometimes a few light reps with a good range of motion can help to get the DOMs moving. Sometimes not.

Oh, and remember to warm up a bit.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#193 Re: Deadlifting
October 29, 2012, 07:33:18 pm
Take it easy.
Check your hips mobility and all the posterios muscles stretch.
Ensure the best technique throughout the whole excercise.
I generally do a light but specific warm up with just the barbell, before adding any weight to it.
It's based on 6 reps:
- ground to shins
- ground to hips (calves push up, trapezius contracts)
- ground to overhead
- ground to overhead then squat
It's somewhere on t-nation.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#194 Re: Deadlifting
November 01, 2012, 09:08:47 pm
Just did 2xBW. Fucking yes.   :strongbench:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#195 Re: Deadlifting
November 01, 2012, 09:17:13 pm
 :dance1:  :2thumbsup:

Well done. 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#196 Re: Deadlifting
November 01, 2012, 10:16:16 pm
Just did 2xBW. Fucking yes.   :strongbench:

Nice one Mike.

You can stop now.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#197 Re: Deadlifting
November 01, 2012, 10:26:07 pm
How much do you weigh? 4 plates a side is the big dog!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#198 Re: Deadlifting
November 02, 2012, 06:15:20 am
Yes, well done!!!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#199 Re: Deadlifting
November 02, 2012, 11:16:50 am
Cheers everyone!  ;D

You can stop now.

Yep, I will do- no interest in weights apart from their benefit to my climbing. I'm focusing on finger strength and lock-off strength now. It was actually the first time I'd done any core for more than a month as I don't feel like it's really a weak point for me any more.

How much do you weigh? 4 plates a side is the big dog!

I weigh 60kg. Did 120 last night. I shudder to think how much 4 plates a side means. 160? I use my own weights in my living room, so going heavier would mean buying more or joining a gym- not keen for either of those!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal