UKBouldering.com

Yoga for climbing (Read 21499 times)

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#25 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 05:17:18 am
You rule, both those videos were really good.  Who and where is your teacher?  And what kind of style is this?  I mostly just do yoga by myself, I have been to classes but usually feel like I might as well be watching a Youtube video.  I would like to have a proper teacher and get into doing this kind of hardcore stuff.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#26 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 05:40:23 am
the second video is where i start mosty of my days - Pure Yoga in Central, Hong Kong. Teacher is Patrick Creelman

I mostly practice a style called Anusara but have also had some extended periods doing a Mysore style practice (self led ashtanga with a teacher wandering around and adjusting where necessary) to the point where i have a pretty steady Intermediate Series practice.

We're pretty lucky in HK to have a wealth of really really good teachers here, as well as a good stream of high quality visiting teachers too (have been to workshops with two of the top anusara teachers in the last week alone.)

If you're mostly doing things on your own and fancy a bit of guidance/ inspiration the I highly recommend you have a look at the yogaglo website - classes from some of the best teachers around online and for a pretty reasonable price

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 06:12:24 am
Cool, I'll definitely do the 15 day trial at least.  Thanks for that.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#28 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 12:54:27 pm
Shitting fuck Millis   :strongbench:, go climb a body-tensiony 9a already!!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#29 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 01:18:20 pm
Where's that impressive feats of strength thread? Most amazing thing I've seen anyone do in ages.

All that standing on your head seems to have worn out your hair though.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#30 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 02:48:12 pm
Amazing. Have shown that first video to multiple straight female friends who now all want to sleep with her. Is there more of her anywhere?  :wub:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 02:55:08 pm
Amazing. Have shown that first video to multiple straight female friends who now all want to sleep with her. Is there more of her anywhere?  :wub:

Yep...

More seriously clicky -> :google:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#32 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 03:23:46 pm
She's improved.

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 13, 2012, 04:40:20 pm
Awesome.  Hongkongstuey - did you make a conscious decision to replace climbing with yoga as your primary activity and if so what were your reasons for doing so?  I went through skateboarding and aikido before settling on climbing.  One of the good things about yoga is that I'll hopefully still be able to do it when I'm too old and clapped out to do anything else.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#34 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 14, 2012, 05:32:30 am
HK has a lot of good climbing and plenty of potential for new routing / exploring but after >10 yrs out here i was looking for something a bit new and fresh. Having been a  gymnast as a kid yoga felt nice and natural and my rate of progression was pretty damn fast so it was a nice ego boost to nail all the funky stuff (very un-yogic i know, but hey you don't get to do this stuff without ambition). Out on the rock i'd hit a plateau for a few years and had got thoroughly bored and unimpressed with climbing walls so climbing just started to fade into the background more and more.

Seem to have a hit a relatively happy medium with both activities these days, getting on the mat 3 or 4 times a week, out on the rock most of the weekend and even back down the wall once or twice a week     

Of course, Asia tends to have a rather good quota of lycra clad lovelies in the yoga studio too, which helps with motivation  ;D

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#35 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 14, 2012, 05:33:38 am
Shitting fuck Millis   :strongbench:, go climb a body-tensiony 9a already!!!

believe it or not i actually hav a really weak core - most of the stuff in that video is down to good technique rather than abs of steel

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#36 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 14, 2012, 05:38:49 am
Cool, I'll definitely do the 15 day trial at least. 

Some recommendations based on teachers I've done workshops with:
The Basics: Jason Crandell - excellent at articulating good technique and posture
The Funky Stuff: Noah Maze, Darren Rhodes and Dice Iida Klein - all teach a good mix of challenging stuff in a relatively fun manner

If you find a way of saving the videos let me know - you can download and save the 'pay to view' workshops but i never quite figured out how to save normal classes from this site (guess they got their IT system pretty tight to stop people doing this)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#37 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 14, 2012, 07:36:31 am
If you find a way of saving the videos let me know - you can download and save the 'pay to view' workshops but i never quite figured out how to save normal classes from this site (guess they got their IT system pretty tight to stop people doing this)

Try browser plugins for downloading videos.

I currently use Opera and the 'Download Media Bar' works pretty well for most videos.

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#38 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 14, 2012, 11:16:57 pm
Thanks again Stu.  There is a whole load of stuff there.  Standard flash ripping apps don't seem to work, which is quite annoying.  Surely there must be a way...

chris j

• forum abuser
#39 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 15, 2012, 12:01:32 pm
A lot of Jason Crandell's videos are in the yoga journal to go podcasts which you can download on itunes. Haven't managed to rip the streaming only free podcast videos from the website yet so I'm thinking I may have to finally give in to apple and install itunes after many years of resistance...

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#40 Re: Yoga for climbing
February 22, 2012, 10:50:15 pm
Has anyone been here?
www.sheffieldyogacentre.co.uk

especially the 'athletes' class ?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#41 Re: Yoga for climbing
July 12, 2012, 08:52:54 am

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#42 Re: Yoga for climbing
July 12, 2012, 12:10:55 pm
I know I am massively late but bloody hell, Stu, that video is seriously impressive.  :o

I'm in a huff now, I started yoga a couple of months ago and was quite impressed with myself last night when I managed to get my hands flat on the floor for the first time with straight legs, clearly I still have some way to go. :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#43 Re: Yoga for climbing
July 12, 2012, 01:15:35 pm
I started yoga a couple of months ago and was quite impressed with myself last night when I managed to get my hands flat on the floor for the first time with straight legs, clearly I still have some way to go. :lol:

You mean standing up? Well I've been at it for 5 or so years on and off and can't do that.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#44 Re: Yoga for climbing
July 13, 2012, 01:00:13 pm
Yes, standing up, I can get my hands flat on the floor ok when I am sitting down. ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#45 Re: Yoga for climbing
July 13, 2012, 02:21:56 pm
Yes, standing up, I can get my hands flat on the floor ok when I am sitting down. ;)

Smartarse. Could be one of a dozen poses, or is standing up and sitting down all you do ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#46 Re: Yoga for climbing
July 13, 2012, 02:55:38 pm
Pretty much, sometimes I curl up in a ball like shape too. :lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#47 Re: Yoga for climbing
July 25, 2012, 10:58:27 am

magpie