UKBouldering.com

ebay dilemma (Read 5933 times)

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
ebay dilemma
February 01, 2012, 10:08:03 pm
i have had someone purchase something from me on buy it now and then email me to say they dont get paid while friday and they will pay first thing friday morning.the person has only registeted today and has no feedback.have emailed the person to say they should have asked first if i was ok with this and that i would be out of pocket if they let me down etc.
do i,trust them and wait or relist it and tell them to bid again when they have the money or relist and leav negative feedback and report to ebay?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:26:52 pm by yorkshireman »

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: ebay dilemma
February 01, 2012, 10:44:15 pm
Depends how urgently you want the money I suppose.  I'd wait, but don't send it until you have the payment.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: ebay dilemma
February 01, 2012, 10:53:13 pm
definately wont send it until i have the money and im not desperate for it as ive had the item for sale for a few weeks it just strikes me as a bit of a con that someone would do this the day they register for ebay

underground

• forum hero
#3 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 06:58:31 am
Sounds like a recipe for a pain in the arse. Be sure to cancel the sale, as that way you also should receive a refund of the final value fee (10% of purchase price).
Also, as a seller you can't leave negative feedback, and are generally on the back foot as far as buyer disputes are concerned.

Cancel, run and block the buyer

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 01:47:43 pm
im going to give him while tomorrow dinnertime then cancel the sale if he hasn't paid.i hate using ebay,its overpriced and full of conmen.i only did it as a last resort as i was let down in a previous forum sale.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 02:20:01 pm
i hate using ebay,its overpriced and full of conmen.

Didn't you set the price, and aren't you selling?  :-\

Buying anything over t'net always has the possibility that you'll be let down, whether its through forums, eBay, GumTree or anything else.

I agree it has its drawbacks, but the alternative is.....

Well there are actually lots, but they depend on what you're trying to sell and perhaps on how quickly you want to sell it.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 02:24:45 pm
yes i set a buy it now price and usually when someone selects buy it now they pay immediately ;) what i dont like is that after ebay and paypal charges you end up losing 20% of the money you have made,its a bit of a rip off imho and i only did it as ive had the item for sale on various internet forums for best part of a month.luckily something i advertised for £20 on a forum is at £31 on ebay so it makes up for it a bit but tbh i dont like gambling with someone winning something for 99p when its worth £10 but you cant set a reserve below £50.plus i dont liek that you cant give a buyer negative feedback if they let you down,hows that fair?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 02:28:36 pm
The fees etc. are all up front though.

Its shit that you can't leave negative feedback, but as you say, its a last resort, either that or let it gather dust whilst its pimped out elsewhere.

There's always pro's and cons to everything.  :devangel:

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 02:32:41 pm
amen to that.well will see what happens tomorrow and if the guy doesnt pay i will report it to ebay and relist the item one last time then im just gonna keep it,less hassle

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#9 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 03:16:14 pm
I had a chap buy an item off ebay (buy it Now) with an 1 hour of putting it up (new customer, no feedback histroy....). I was over the moon. Sorely dissappointed to get an email from ebay saying

"we had to cancel bids for the following buyer because they aren't registered on eBay:

mummi_mummi02

Please don't complete the transaction and don't post the item. You may have received an email saying the buyer has paid. However, that's probably a fake message"

I would just be a bit weary....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 03:26:56 pm
I would just be a bit weary....

yorkshireman is already tired of eBay!  :P

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 08:16:47 pm
yeah,tired and weary and really wary.i dont send things until i see the money i my paypal account

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: ebay dilemma
February 02, 2012, 11:55:53 pm
Money talks, bullshit can fuck off!

underground

• forum hero
#13 Re: ebay dilemma
February 03, 2012, 12:42:52 am
yeah,tired and weary and really wary.i dont send things until i see the money i my paypal account
The buyer can easily reverse that too... honestly, walk away from this guy. It's so easy for sellers to get fucked over on ebay its untrue.

I will never sell high value items on ebay again.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: ebay dilemma
February 03, 2012, 02:45:09 pm
well the guy paid when he said he would so maybe im just being my usual cautious agent mulder alike sent and never trusting anyone.next annoyance,none of the couries cover pc monitors for damage in transit grrrr

Red

• addict
#15 Re: ebay dilemma
February 04, 2012, 04:44:11 pm
Be really careful with couriers - I have been seriously fucked over by Parcels2Go who collected an item, knowing what it was, then broke it, and refused to pay for said item, then lost it. When I complained and asked for evidence it had "broken" before it was "lost", they sent me a HUGE list of things that are prohibited to send (basically just about everything in the universe) which will not be insured if said item breaks.  I never saw this item again, and it was not worth pursuing in small claims courts as it was worth under £100. Make sure you read the list of prohibited items before you send, although it sounds as if you are already on to it.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: ebay dilemma
February 05, 2012, 09:42:42 am
monitors arent covered by hardly any couriers anyway

Plattsy

• forum hero
#17 Re: ebay dilemma
February 06, 2012, 08:45:00 am
All this talk of dodgy dealings on eBay have got my spidey sense tingling.

Sold an item late on Thursday and received a payment email straight away. Good so far.

Nothing has arrived into my Paypal account yet and when I click through using the paypal transaction link in My Summary paypal says it's an invalid transaction ID.

How long should it take for a paypal payment to arrive?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#18 Re: ebay dilemma
February 06, 2012, 09:29:34 am
Mate, its instant - this is definately a scam!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#19 Re: ebay dilemma
February 06, 2012, 10:14:07 am
I thought so too. Just spoke to eBay. Apparently there is an alternative to the instant paypal transfer called an electronic cheque. Not heard of these before. I've emailed the buyer to find out if this is how they paid. Can take 7-9 days apparently. Let's see what response I get.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#20 Re: ebay dilemma
February 06, 2012, 10:16:45 am
That is true so you might be ok. Remember something similar from years ago and i got my money.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: ebay dilemma
February 06, 2012, 10:36:05 am
if the person doesnt have money in their paypal and have to add it frpm a bank account it can take upto 5 working days.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#22 Re: ebay dilemma
February 06, 2012, 12:02:05 pm
you see the  thing is though, that he said he had gotten a payment email which I would take to meaning has recieved an instant payment?

When I have been on the recieving end of these scams before, i have recieved what looks like a payment confirmation email apparently from paypal, saying i have recieved an instant payment, and containing a link to a site which looks like paypal. If you log in to actual paypal you can see you havent had a payment, and on closer examination of the email it hasnt come from paypal.com either.

I dunno, proceed with caution!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: ebay dilemma
February 06, 2012, 12:08:31 pm
if the person doesnt have money in their paypal and have to add it frpm a bank account it can take upto 5 working days.

I'd have thought that the ubiquitous adoption of the Faster Payment Service would now negate that delay?  :shrug:

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#24 Re: ebay dilemma
February 06, 2012, 12:11:42 pm
I'd have thought that the ubiquitous adoption of the Faster Payment Service would now negate that delay?  :shrug:

Paypal haven't adopted it yet, and won't until later in the year apparently.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal