UKBouldering.com

Essential Yorkshires (Read 12113 times)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 01:33:43 pm
I am planning a 9 day trip to yorkshire at the end of march and i have no idea where to go.

So far i only have Caley and the Almscliffe on my list so i am about 4/5 crags short of filling my 9 days.

Anybody have any suggestions of must visit crags? The only things i dont like are dirty little holds, anything else is good.

A grade range of 6c-7b would be grand.

cheers

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 01:40:31 pm
Aren't pebbles dirty and little?

Where you basing yourself?

top of my head the obvious ones to include are;

Earl

Brimham

Slipstones (bit of a drive if you are based Leedsish)

Barden Fell Crags - Lord's & Simon's Seats - a longish walk, alpine start needed.

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 01:43:39 pm
Earl is a no brainer. It's so good. Crookrise should be worth a hit too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 01:49:33 pm
Yeah, 2 sides of a coin depending on weather / conditions.

Vitamin K

• addict
#4 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 01:52:44 pm
Widdop should be on your itinerary - a good spread of grades and a pretty extensive circuit if you look beyond the obvious boulders nearest to the reservoir.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#5 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 01:55:50 pm
If you fancy getting off the beaten track a touch then Snowden and Guisecliff are certainly worth a visit - just make sure you've got a couple of pads and a spotter for the latter!

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#6 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 02:03:43 pm
cheers cofe its now on the list

SA Chris- pebbles are in deed dirty but its mainly little crimps i hate, they hurt my joints :'(. im not based anywhere yet, i will be driving up from leek and trying to find a centralish campsite to base myself.

Vitamin K- widdop is now on the list, cheers

tommytwotone- I will be on my tod, so a spotter isnt an optionn but i will keep them in mind for my next visit.

Cheers for the suggestions so far.

ShortRound

• addict
#7 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 02:13:56 pm

Brimham.

Perfect warm up area next to the carpark with some good non-warm up problems like the pommel (V4/5) and the Anchor (V7). Then, without getting too lost, you can try and find:
Whisky Galore (V6)
Acme Wall (V3)
The grouch (V6 and three stars)
Fantasy League (V7)

and pop out to the outlying bits to do:
Elwood P Dowd (V6)
Dolphin nose (V4)
Crimpy Wall (V8)

Loads and loads to go at, especially if it's windy elsewhere as there is plenty of shelter. If you don't like giving cash to the national trust there is another sneaky car park you can use further up the road which is closer to the outlying stuff. I'd advise taking a photo guidebook with you as it can be a bit of a maze to the un-initiated.

Almscliff is an absolute must if you've not been before. Take wellies and a tarp for your mat if it's rained recently and you want to have a go at demon wall roof/dolphon belly slap.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 02:57:38 pm
A good list

Ilkey: Ringpeice, Classic Dyno
Brimham: Pair in a cubicle, Rachel's box, Black chipper, Titfield Thunderbolt, Crimpy wall
Whitehouses: Fit punters roof, Bush Bully, Raegh Omar, under rumsfield
Caley: Crystal method, Forklighting crack, new jersulum
Almscliff: Demon wall roof, Dolphin belly slap, underhand, flying arete

Get to Rylstone, Crookrise, Fairy Chests amazing location, but a lotta snow up that way atm.

Have fun.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 03:32:19 pm
In all likelyhood the weather will decide where you should go. A good proportion of the crags up there are either shady and slow drying, and/or high on the moors and exposed to the weather. So if you do get suitable conditions you’d be wise to use them and get to places like Rylstone, Simon/Lord’s Seat (to a lesser extent Caley, Earl, Crookrise and Slipstones). Save places like Almscliff, Brimham, Whitehouses (to a lesser extent Ilkley, Widdop, Bridestones) for the inevitable iffy days.
If I had to suggest a five must visits I say Earl, Caley, Brimham, Slipstones and Crookrise in that order. Yes Almscliff is not on that list, basically it is amazing but if you visit Yorks grit a few times I can guarantee you will end up there loads as it is very much the primary fallback option if the weather goes bad. It would be like going on holiday to Sheffield and planning a visit to the Works, pointless as you’ll almost certainly end up there anyway.
The area is pretty spread out and some of the drives take a long while due to passing through a lot of towns so aim for somewhere central maybe Ilkley or Skipton.

dave

#10 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 04:52:11 pm
Nobody has mentioned the 6 best crags in yorkshire. Burbage north/south/west, higgar, millstone and secret garden.

granticus

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 10:33:13 pm
Stayed in Skipton in the summer for a week and managed to get some bouldering in (there's a thread on here somewhere).  http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,18259.msg324554.html#msg324554
Which may be useful.  I found the Bridestones to be most acceptable (apart from damaged rock here and there).

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 30, 2012, 10:53:51 pm
Bonjoy is right, in that weather will dictate what you do... Luckily Leeds has three walls to check out ;) so add The Depot, Citibloc and the Leeds wall to your tally :)

Almscliff is the fastest drying - easy access - but can be a little bit of an aquired taste.
Caley is great - but can take a little while to dry and that time of year there may be green-nes issues in a few places..
I dont get on with Ilkley - so wouldnt reccomend it -except its very close to a touristy car park with a tea hut. Which also means you get gawped at as well..

Slipstones is superb - but its a way north and probably c.1 hour from Cliff/Otley area.. If there is a mint looking day - go. Its a superb spot and the rock is fantastic. Theres also a fair chance you'll bump into Willackers still working Cypher ;)

Crookrise is beautiful but a fairly long walk in - and Bridestones will be quite a way west from the Otley/Leeds area (it depends where you're staying etc..)...

If it rains.. (it will) and you're in the cliff/caley area go to the Otley cafe... I challenge you to eat £5 worth of food (including the free bread and butter...) :)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#13 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 31, 2012, 09:41:53 am
thanks very much everyone, plenty of good info for my trip, esp. the weather stuff, even though i wont need it as it isnt going to rain.

I will start scouring through my guide to make a tick list.

Is the new 2 part yorkshire grit guide worth buying? i have the old one but if the new one is good i will look at getting them.

tomtom, i will take that challenge, how much food can there be for £5

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 31, 2012, 09:55:30 am
Otley caff - where all good bouldering days start!

Slipstones is very quick drying (apart from a stubborn puddle and seep down the middle of Ripper!) But topouts can sometimes stay damp when the front of the crag is dry (especially with low winter sun) so beware when topping out on some of the slopey tops, especially the highballs / solos on the left. I very nearly came acropper topping out of Beldin (or one of the HVSs on that bit!). The further left you go on the crag the more it goes from bouldering to routes.

How well does Grimer's Guide cover the bits mentioned? It's the one bit I've not really looked at in great detail as I know it fairly well.

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 31, 2012, 11:45:28 am
tomtom, i will take that challenge, how much food can there be for £5

Well.... it means you have to have a main course (that all top out at about £3) a pudding (may be £1:10 now, but were 80p) and something else.. which could mean a bacon sarnie at £1:20/30...

So lets say you went for Lasagne and Chips, Spotted dick and Custard and a Sausage Sandwich... should push you over the £5 barrier.. but I've never made it through the main course and desert combo let alone the extra.. AND you have to eat the two slices of bread and butter you get.

If you're feeling less glutonous, the 'new' breakfast is worth a try. Bacon, two eggs, sausage, black pudding, tomotoes, Beans, Spam fritter (yeh!) and chips. Oh and bread and butter... for £3... You used to get a pint of tea free with the meals too, but in these times of austerity...

Its a cyclists fave as well..

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#16 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 31, 2012, 12:08:15 pm
A good list
Caley: Crystal method, Forklighting crack, new jersulum
Have fun.

One try at FLC would be enough to send me home in disgust!  For me, it's up there with Banana Finger Direct in the list of unpleasant "classics"!  Incidentally, by Crystal Method do you mean the V7 slap from the greasy pocket (the version in the old AC Duff guide) or the harder problem on the buttress to the right? 

Anyway, to augment that list, I'd recommend the crag area for a quick hit of classic Caley: Mr Smooth, The Horn problems, The Pinch, Pinetree / Yule Log Arete, Flapjack Traverse, Two Squirrels.  Maybe return to the roadside for a try at Secret Seventh, Ben's Groove etc.

tomtom

• forum hero
#17 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 31, 2012, 12:30:39 pm
yup - FLC is not a good introduction to Caleys finest IMHO...
Otley wall...?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 31, 2012, 12:34:25 pm
+1 -  Forked Log Crack.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#19 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 31, 2012, 03:36:29 pm
I'd say secret seventh was very hard and conditionsy.
I really liked doing the not my stile arete at the roadside great problem.

Definately go to earl, slipstones and caley, 3 of the best crags in the country, also bridestone is very good but ruined by overuse.
I personally don't get on well with ilkley and think the problem concentration at brimham is pretty low although there are some good probs at both these venues.
Also with regards to almscliff, as everyone has said, its good but don't plan on going there because at some point you'll probably be forced there anyway due to the weather.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#20 Re: Essential Yorkshires
January 31, 2012, 03:39:51 pm
It's the bouldering equivalent of Tremadog.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#21 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 01, 2012, 08:58:53 am
thanks again everyone, that lot should keep me good and busy.

now im off to a greasy spoon for some propa training.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#22 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 01, 2012, 11:43:42 pm
Hope you have a good trip over to yorks Krank. I reckon caley, earl and brimham are the better ones I have been too and crookrise was good too for the grade spread you mentioned.

I didn't realise otley cafe had such a cheap deal on food. A trip to Yorkshire is on the cards when I get back, the food challenge will get smashed! Let us know how you fare with it :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 07:15:48 am
the food challenge will get smashed! Let us know how you fare with it :)

no cheating by making up your £5 with a couple of kitkats... ;) tsk tsk...

Dolly

• forum hero
#24 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 11:33:58 am
Don't want to stray too far O.T. but The Cheerful Chilli in Otley is meant to be excellent as well - I haven't been, but someone at work went there on a Saturday evening and said it was great food and cheap.

http://thecheerfulchilli.co.uk/

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#25 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 11:57:53 am
right, i can see where this is going, im sacking off the bouldering and goig on a tour of yorkshire eateries.

I have a breakfast project- £5 otley cafe brekkie
An evening meal freestyle challenge at the cheerfull chilli

All i need now is a tricky burger van lunch project and my week will be compete.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#26 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 01:08:56 pm
As an aside from the "must do's" already described, I'd recommend Shipley Glen (stop laughing at the back....). 

It's not somewhere you would make a special effort to visit BUT it's west-facing and sheltered (the crag is sunk below the brow of a steep glen).  So it's a good option for windy days when recent rain rules out the north facing likes of Caley etc (Brimham is also largely west facing but can stay damp and fog-bound).  It's got as much quality below f7a+ as any other crag in the area too - Red Baron, Vim, Daz, Mansons Wall, Green Traverse, Millstone.  A better option than Ilkley any day of the week ( I live in Ilkley and can't recall the last time I bouldered there).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#27 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 01:40:52 pm

All i need now is a tricky burger van lunch project and my week will be compete.

Burger Van at Ilkley? What made John Dunne the man he is!

You could try doing a double Betty's challenge? Morning Cake at Betty's in Ilkley, climb in at Ilkley, cake at Betty's in Harrogate, climb at Brimham. Although you might get kicked out for looking like a scruff amongst the blue rinse brigade.

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 02:29:24 pm

Burger Van at Ilkley? What made John Dunne the man he is!

You could try doing a double Betty's challenge? Morning Cake at Betty's in Ilkley, climb in at Ilkley, cake at Betty's in Harrogate, climb at Brimham. Although you might get kicked out for looking like a scruff amongst the blue rinse brigade.

Dont forget to stop at the Wetherby Whaler en route from Almsliffstershire up to Slipstonesville...

I think this thread should be re-named Essential Yorkshires (aka eating trip for Krank) :)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#29 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 02:59:07 pm
On a Shipley tip, if you're headed over that way me and Mrs Z found a nice bakery place in Saltaire the other weekend that sells some top pastry-based goods and looks like it does some hefty takeout rolls and all.

Located here:

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 03:03:50 pm
You need to try the black pudding and apple pork pies from the farm shop next to the hunters inn near the cliff, one of the best things you will ever eat.  I say that without an ounce of hyperbole

metal arms

• menacing presence
#31 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 03:32:47 pm
You need to try the black pudding and apple pork pies from the farm shop next to the hunters inn near the cliff, one of the best things you will ever eat.  I say that without an ounce of hyperbole

The hyperbole makes them all soggy.  Get some pickle on it instead.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#32 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 04:12:39 pm

I highly recommend the date slices from there too: the densest dessert items known to man.  Tasty and capable of weighting down a bouldering mat in the fiercest of Almscliff winds.  The excuse I give to myself for succumbing is that, as they're made from dates and oats, they're practically health-food (fruit and porridge innit?).  Best sampled after bunging in an oven a while to crispen the oaty outer into a flapjacky crumble and served with custard...hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

As for Betty's in Ilkley: responsible for getting me through an incalculable number of bad work days.  It's my "Breakfast at Tiffany's"; whenever I have the "mean reds" I pop in for some high-class carry-out cakeage and reassurance that civilisation abides (at £2 it's cheaper than Prozac).  It's just a bonus that the curd tarts and fat rascals are fantastic too (and I'm already looking forward to the Easter simnel versions of the fat rascals).

andy_e

• forum hero
#33 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 01:21:35 pm
Is the farm shop any good now it's re-opened?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#34 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 01:54:37 pm

I've always rated the meat you can get there - fantastically thick pork chops and sausages perfect for a toad in the hole.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#35 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 02:21:19 pm

The cakes and prepackaged stock are identical.  From what I can see the meat is from the same suppliers too.  It just seems to have had a refurb, rather than any change in produce

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#36 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 02:30:25 pm
If you get a shit weather day I would suggest linking the depot up with a Bradford curry. Akbars is pretty close but to be honest you will struggle not to get an amazing curry in bradford.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#37 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 04:32:38 pm
come on fella's, this is getting silly now. 2 pages and not a single chip shop recommendation

I'm dispointed

Dolly

• forum hero
#38 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 04:38:11 pm
Sorry mate  :-[
The last time I went the chippy in Otley near The Junction was pretty good.

The Junction is obviously a pub you might want to visit as well

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal