UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 488625 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I was honestly shocked at how little of a shit people seem to give now for boulders & areas in general.

Hopefully this new "indoor" bouldering stuff will take off in a big way and attract chalk daubers away from the natural stuff.

Maybe someone should set up a forum or web site for this new alternative to rock climbing?

tomtom

• forum hero
I was honestly shocked at how little of a shit people seem to give now for boulders & areas in general.

Hopefully this new "indoor" bouldering stuff will take off in a big way and attract chalk daubers away from the natural stuff.

Maybe someone should set up a forum or web site for this new alternative to rock climbing?

http://www.lagerstarfish.com/forums/indoorbouldering

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Not tick marks, but I visited Chasecliffe for the first time this evening and was dismayed to find fresh-looking vertical scratches all down the left hand side of the easy side of the boulder:

Surely not from dry tooling? The only other explanation I can think of is someone climbing it in nailed boots or running spikes.  >:(

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Certainly looks like it. First time you have been there since the snows?

Cunts.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Might have been one of the Lycan Club members sharpening their claws before geting stuck in to the local population.

Any signs of torn/discarded clothing?

I'll have a word with Wolfie; he might know.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Any signs of torn/discarded sheep's clothing?

dave

Not tick marks, but I visited Chasecliffe for the first time this evening and was dismayed to find fresh-looking vertical scratches all down the left hand side of the easy side of the boulder:

Surely not from dry tooling? The only other explanation I can think of is someone climbing it in nailed boots or running spikes.  >:(

FBSF eyeballed what looked very much like crampon scratches on Wednesday climb at burbage the other week. fucking idiots.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
There seems to be a lot of this going on at the moment, possibly not helped by morons on UKC claiming it's OK.  But let's not dig that all back up again.

Please note, anyone that I catch dry tooling at a summer crag will have a crampon suppository.

JohnM

• junky
Dry tooling is becoming worryingly popular and people seem desperate to get out on real rock to practice their new "skills" no matter where it is.  A mate in the Lakes said that the lower section of a 7c sport route at Tilberthwaite he was trying has been trashed with crampon scars and one of the holds destroyed by an axe.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
There were scratches all over one of the routes at Castle Inn Quarry off the A55, apparently been there a year or so according to others climbing there who are local.  :thumbsdown:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Is it worth having a specific thread to record where/ when this occurs?

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
 :agree:
Yes.

Denham, Stronstrey, Chasecliffe, Castle Inn, Tiberthwaite...etc etc

Sam

• addict
I've sent an email to the Climbing Walls Officer at the BMC asking whether a concerted campaign for crag etiquette would be suitable given the increase in popularity of the sport/activity (it would).  Time the climbing wall industry, which is benefiting so much from this increase in participation, steps up and pulls it's weight in promoting ethical crag use. I'm sure UKC will do it's (big) bit if asked too. Clearly, some people just do not get that tools on rock, excessive ticking and litter are not on. This can probably be attributed to misplaced enthusiasm and a lack of education. Get emailing folks.

Sam

Zig Zag Climbing Walls

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I'll start a thread, and try to recall when things went on.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Yeah, it was just over the roof on wednesday climb and also on the top slab of Mutiny Crack where you traverse across from the hollybush.

Paul B

• forum hero
As I dropped down off Flying Buttress tonight I was quite shocked to see the right-hand route (looking in), has chalk circles on each hold and ticks on all the footholds. These are numbered (!) and denoted with L and R.

There was a large, noisy, blissfully-unaware university group on the buttress when we arrived, everyone else there had beards and a large collection of hexes.

Unfortunately I didn't have a brush but I guess it'll rain soon.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
everyone else there had beards and a large collection of hexes

I was around that area last night and dont have a beard or own any hexes........

Paul B

• forum hero
me neither...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
As I dropped down off Flying Buttress tonight I was quite shocked to see the right-hand route (looking in), has chalk circles on each hold and ticks on all the footholds. These are numbered (!) and denoted with L and R.

Not Kirkus's corner, Shirley?

first climbed in the 1930s

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
That was my thought but apparently it's the E4 right again, Sparticus Articus?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Oh FFS. This kind of attitude is typical of some University clubs out there. Hopefuly we won't all be tarred with the same brush.

Stubbs

Some Uni club members just like trying to solo HS's at the cliff to show off to the younger members  ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
 :-[
Surely you must have forgotten this by now?! I must protest the point about showing off. It was just me and a friend there that day if I remember right.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Quote from: Paul Calf
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am not on trial here today, society is on trial. Oh fuck it, I'm on trial, aren't I?

But I'm not in contention with the prosecution's version of events. On that we agree. There was a student, he was acting up, he got a slap. But I was under severe provocation.

There I was, having a quiet climb, when a student walked past and put tick marks all over the route next to me. I did what any fine, upstanding citizen would do. I followed him to the decent path and kicked his head in. Perhaps I should have stopped kicking him when he was in the ambulance. But I did what I did because I want to live in a world where we can do a route without fear of it being chalked by a student. I that a crime? Is it a crime to want to live in a world of peace and harmony? Is it a crime to live in a world of love? Is it a crime to hit a student across the back of the head with a snooker ball in a sock?"

Stubbs

Surely you must have forgotten this by now?!

I thought I was going to watch someone take a groundfall from about 8 m right in front of me: that may happen regularly when you go climbing, but it doesn't to me, so no I haven't forgotten.  I seem to remember you had a serious fall soon after.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal