UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 488654 times)

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#600 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
September 30, 2010, 10:29:17 am
let's see if this works.....

horrific donkey marks (one underneath as well!) on the nose opposite Morel's Wall at Almscliffe on sunday night. For Shame!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#601 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
September 30, 2010, 12:39:51 pm
FFS, that's pathetic, they haven't even numbered them or said whether it's a slap with the left of the right hand . . . .then again you can probably watch a you tube video on your Iphone so perhaps they were being senstivie. :wank:

Stabbsy

• junky
#602 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
September 30, 2010, 02:00:26 pm
horrific donkey marks (one underneath as well!) on the nose opposite Morrell's Wall at Almscliffe on sunday night. For Shame!

I know it's a common theme on this thread, but you couldn't actually see the majority of that line from where you do the first move from (and if you could see the line, it's blindingly obvious where the hold is anyway). Some tick mark crimes on Patta's Arete last week as well. Definitely getting more common at the 'cliff and Brimham.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Presumably because they are used to aiming for something yellow, or red, or blue..... 

I blame the climbing walls.  If they used natural grit coloured holds these donkey's wouldn't have to use tick marks?

Durbs

• forum hero
At Craggy2, you sometimes get indoor tick-marks, so this isn't 100% true...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Not a donkey tick as such unless it has been breeding on the side of the Trackside boulder - more an exercise in caking the hold with as much chalk as humanly possible.  :o

NB - the pic was taken after I had spent two or three minutes brushing chalk off it but it was still in an absolutely disgusting state.

Quick question - would water have been beneficial in removing the eyesore?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Urine would be better. Apply liberally at the same time as the chalk.

dave

They start the tickmarkers pretty young down Endcliffe Park these days:

JamieG

• forum hero
Not a donkey tick as such unless it has been breeding on the side of the Trackside boulder - more an exercise in caking the hold with as much chalk as humanly possible.  :o

NB - the pic was taken after I had spent two or three minutes brushing chalk off it but it was still in an absolutely disgusting state.

Was at curbar, both last sunday and this morning. I can honestly say i have never seen some much chalk on so many holds on both trackside boulder and gorrilla warfare block. I spent ages just randomly brushing holds to try clean them up, but they were still as mess.

This problem seems to be getting worse.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
I think the recent dry weather has made it worse. We need a good downpour to clean it all off. Won't make a difference to GW, but Trackside will look less shit.

cofe

• forum hero
It's the period of damp, almost dry, weather that's been the problem.

dave

plus when it has been sunny its been boiling.

account_inactive

• forum hero
and chalk helps people adhere to the rock better

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
and chalk helps people adhere to the rock better

Well it did me fuck all good that day - two badly grazed knuckles as a result of trying the problem after trying to clean it. From what I have heard since it was done on the Saturday when conditions were pretty greasy and so the slot was liberally smeared in chalk - problem was that the chalk was left all over it and it then sucked up all the moisture in the air turning it into a doughy mess.  :wank:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Someone should take a container (or you own choice) of water and a brush up there and wash the lot off last thing at night.

I remember a french guy doing that on El Poussah , when we got there the holds were nice and clean and almost dry. My mates wanted to climb it and hadn't realised the reason for the damp patches. I can't imagine the Frenchman was too happy on return to some damp holds caked with chalk!

(Next time I'd stop my mates doing it - hadn't really twigged at the time)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
Someone should take a container (or you own choice) of water and a brush up there and wash the lot off last thing at night.

Had brushes in abundance at the time but no water or I probably would have done so.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Found this on the rock at Kyloe yesterday. F*cking disgrace. (sorry for fb link)

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
at least they got the words right shame about all the chalk though.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
As I can't believe someone from here were be cuntish enough to graffiti like that, others would appear to have been wound up by UKC.

mrconners

• menacing presence
I always try to give any caked holds a bit of a wash and brush up at the end of a sesh if I have water left, but I must admit that the quantity of chalk being used on some holds seems to be increasing. Is it really neccessary to chalk the holds? Is it fuck.

I do recall on some American bouldering video an organised cleanup at the happies, there was a load of folk with those back mounted water pump sprays and brushes blitzing the problems. Maybe a practice to be encouraged.

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
I agree that the chalk looks a mess but is it a good idea to brush wet sandstone?

jowgli

• player
can't speak for many areas but from my experience of the churnet valley and the fact that everytime i see the rock bits seem to have crumbled a bit more, it should be left well alone when wet/damp, its cohesion is seriously compromised...

mrconners

• menacing presence
I agree that the chalk looks a mess but is it a good idea to brush wet sandstone?

Maybe not

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck

Cratcliffe top on Sunday ...... We weren't sure if the chalk was being used to indicate which holds were in or which were out  :lol: .......

psychomansam

• forum hero
I honestly don't get some people.

I was recently working an indoor problem and had spent a couple of mins brushing chalk off the key sloper to improve friction (virtually no-one brushes holds down in the beacon, it gets pretty bad).
I took a quick break and watched a guy walk up to it, get his chalk ball out and smash chalk all over the hold before getting on it.
I wouldn't mind so much if he was a novice but he was obviously strong(er than me) and experienced. What the hell?

Fucking unnecessary, god knows what he does to actual rock. If people can't even be respectful on plastic, what hope do they have!?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal