UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 488648 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
You've got to be really dense to not see anything wrong with these tick marks....

Oh i am sure Dense would have plenty to say  :lol:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Can we have a general agreement that tick marks are not OK?

I mean - state it in all guide books that it makes an ascent not count and let everyone know that videos of people doing first ascents with tick marks will be ridiculed? Light tick marks are fine while you are working a problem, but if you can see the mark the send doesn't count.

I see this as the only way to stop front bottoms drawing on the crag.

I do worry about how much erosion might happen due to extinguishing tick marks.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

I may be many things but a xenophobe or racist I am not, nor am I accusing you of this. 
Sorry, it was a cheap come back. No accusation intended.

Lager – Personally I wouldn't go so far regards tick marks. Using them makes you look stupid but doesn't invalidate an ascent. Using them for working something or ‘sending’ is the same in my eyes. The key issue is being minimalist with them so that on the odd occasion when you might feel you really need one a prob doesn't look horrific while you are on it and more crucially, properly removing them when you move on, even if you intend to come back later in the day.

rodma

• forum hero

I may be many things but a xenophobe or racist I am not, nor am I accusing you of this. 

Lager – Personally I wouldn't go so far regards tick marks. Using them makes you look stupid but doesn't invalidate an ascent. Using them for working something or ‘sending’ is the same in my eyes. The key issue is being minimalist with them so that on the odd occasion when you might feel you really need one a prob doesn't look horrific while you are on it and more crucially, properly removing them when you move on, even if you intend to come back later in the day.

:agree:

I'm guilty of using the odd tickmark, but only on a blind hold or hard to see foothold. I'm certainly not for puting huge tick-lines to every single hold on a problem, that's reeeeeeeeeedickyouluss

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.

I know it wasn't an accusation and as for cheap come backs, I'm to tight to go for anything but.

Anyway, I'm sure at times all our ethical copy books are blotted, however it's about degree; and this abortion is so extreme as to amount to a total breach of accepted standards.

The problem is what is seen as acceptable for the elite will, in the eyes of the chorus of idiots be seen as acceptable for the uber punter.  See the morons on COcktalk who think that because you can headpoint a serious grit E8 which has never been onsighted (or onsited in CT land) then it's equally valid to top rope Three Pebble Slab.

As such the onus is on the elite ( and of course us all) but particularly the media to be more responsible and adopt higher ethical standards, the first step would simply to not publish any photo's with donkey lines.

mark s

• junky
not wanting to point any fingers but check out the tick marks here and the recent careless torque fiasco.http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=127987

fiveknuckle21

• menacing presence
I was up there last monday and those ticks (on BP) were there. I gotta say it was like join the dots for the right foot hold.

tomtom

• forum hero
OK, I've not tried BP - but there are only 4-5 holds used? yes?
Are ANY of them blind (i.e. might need a mark)?

Sigh. it only takes a few seconds to brush the ticks away afterwards if you make any...

ferret

• forum abuser
not wanting to point any fingers but check out the tick marks here and the recent careless torque fiasco.http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=127987
to be honest i dont think these are particularly bad, im pretty sure i ticked the 1st sidepull on bp wen i did it, the only problem is if u dont brush them off after, of which this photo offers no evidence.
seems exactly like finger pointing to me

careless torque photos are an absolute disgrace

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=127987

awesome, I lowered down off the top into this position for a photo in my trainers. Look at me!!!!!!!!!

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
To be fair with over 25 years of climbing I have fewer than 10 decent climbing pictures, it is however a bit sus that no sub cocktalk red twats pictures ever have them actually nailing the moves.....

FFS BP is only about one move,

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
To be fair with over 25 years of climbing I have fewer than 10 decent climbing pictures, it is however a bit sus that no sub cocktalk red twats pictures ever have them actually nailing the moves.....

FFS BP is only about one move,

from the blog, a guy took pictures of the whole ascent, but only emailed the one were he actually downclimbed onto the jug  :-\

Eddies

• forum hero
awesome, I lowered down off the top into this position for a photo in my trainers. Look at me!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly!

Their happy to video themselves climbing a rusty fire escape but I see none of them completing any of the hard climbs they claim!
Sorry boys but :wank:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Come now guys, this isn't a thread devoted to slagging off Red Tits, this is a thread about the monstrosities like CT as pictured previously. We can have an entire Red Tips Sucks Ass! thread if we want. Personally I'd rather just ignore them, and if they do anything stupid, then allow hell to break loose!

However I'd rather take a slightly more subtle approach to tickers. We were all beginners once upon a time (I know it was back in the annals of history Sloper), and the only way people learn what is right, and what is wrong, is by being told. I have ticked before, and not even thought about brushing them off (a long time ago), I have a friend who still doesn't understand why they should be unobtrusive, and brushed off afterwards. However we do both clear up after ourselves properly, and I have subtly asked people if they want to borrow my lapis to brush off the tickmarks they've left, just before they go.

I reckon it's better than slagging them off after they've left, complaining that they should know better, and posting photos on an internet thread, which they probably don't even look at.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
to be honest I don't really care if he's done it or not, just looks a bit very suspect and I thought it'd be rude not to take the piss.
Infact I am going to start climbing on my own more often and ticking some big numbers. Seems to work for saltbeef

I do tick-mark and still tick, small and only the minimum needed and I try to remember to brush off afterwards although I seem to forget quite often but luckily the rain will take care of what I forget. Must try harder

With regards to piss taking out of red tips etc... it seems most of us are approaching middle age and I for one am quite jealous of their yooffullness. Most of it is harmless and I think as yoofs they can take it, they just need to be carefull when starting claims about very big numbers as I (and many others) like the history books to be correct

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Lager – Personally I wouldn't go so far regards tick marks. Using them makes you look stupid but doesn't invalidate an ascent.
Sadly being a berk doesn't mean you haven't actually climbed something, although it's quite a nice idea.
Also I'd use them if I couldn't sight something, although my short-sightedness isn't quite as bad as the photo-examples. And I'd probably clean them off too.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

My thoughts exactly!

Their= they are= they're happy to video themselves climbing a rusty fire escape but I see none of them completing any of the hard grammar they claim!
Sorry boys but...
You can do better than this.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a

My thoughts exactly!

Their >< they are = they're happy to video themselves climbing a rusty fire escape but I see none of them completing any of the hard grammar they claim!
Sorry boys but...
You can do better than this.

Shurely?

Eddies

• forum hero
Sorry, I get wound up easy by this type of thing. Their only cheating themselves at the end of the day.
I vow never to look at their site again.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Just a quick one back on the RT, LC, BP topic, I know it's not definitive (I got to this position about half a dozen times before finally doing it), but he is at least most of the way up it.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=128063

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I think the lines are getting blurred here. Let's leave the conjecture and bollocks about who's done what aside and look at the big picture.

The abuse of one of the greatest rock climbs in the Peak District is a disgrace that needs to be publicised.

This is firstly a beautiful piece of rock which has become a beautiful highball boulder problem.

The actions of whoever has done this have not only made a fucking mess, made climbers look like ruinous uncaring cunts and given more ammunition to the next landowner who wants to bar us from their property. They've also risked destroying the chance of someone climbing the problem in much better style than they are attempting to do by breaking holds on the fucking thing when it's dampness is making it even more fragile than it normally is.

This is wrong and a very big deal. Unlike the rest of the bollocks people are getting distracted by.

Someone must know who did this........

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Well said Drew & Jasper.

Sorry, I get wound up easy by this type of thing. Their only cheating themselves at the end of the day.
I vow never to look at their site again.

Their != they are

:lol:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Their != they are

:lol:

That's coding language isn't it? I believe I went down the mathematical line of things with the >< (can also be written <> but looks a bit too much like parentheses).

EDIT: Sorry, that was  :off:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
What Jasper said. In fact, exactly what Jasper said.

Jibing youths smacks of jealousy to me. I've no reason to think they're lying, nor connected to CT anymore than anyone else. In fact, Brad Pit in two sessions after climbing for 18 months smacks only of being a fucking massive talent.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
anyway back on topic

8a key to success  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal