UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 488596 times)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
The worst thing is (if that's the 6B+ thing I think it is) you can't see that hold when you're reaching round for it anyway, the ridiculous tick mark wouldn't even help!  :wall:

yes it probably is the 6b you are thinking of, complete waste of time, I was so fucked off when I saw it. The worst thing is it was a very fresh mark as it was raining and the rocks were saturated

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The worst thing is (if that's the 6B+ thing I think it is) you can't see that hold when you're reaching round for it anyway, the ridiculous tick mark wouldn't even help!  :wall:

I thought that just looking at and haven't even been/climbed the problem.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
 ::) shows how much you lot know about bouldering. Those tick marks are there to help with Chapeau Chinois Super Direct. The jug is in, but you are not allowed to use common sense, beta or technique. L2+. This is a long term project so I hope no one has stolen that carfully placed chalk render.

Plattsy

• forum hero
I took a photo of a couple of tick marks I found at Sabots earlier this year but deleted it by mistake. It was a double wammy. I think it was on a roof problem to the left of red #2. There was a massive arrow of chalk pointing down to a little hole at the base of the boulder, I guess for a toe hook. There was also a massive arrow along the roof to the hold pass the lip. Crossing the arrow was a line of chalk and the following words "Ici 30cm".

:spank: :thumbsdown:

Dr T

• forum hero
"Ici 30cm".
from a teachers perspective that's almost encouraging the kids are generally poor at remembering to include their units......

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Ok so his arm's in a cast (or something), but still. Three massive ticks, pointing at what exactly?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
is that helicopter?

philo

• forum hero
looks like it

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
is that helicopter?

Yus. I think I made the pic into a link to the page too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#409 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
November 21, 2008, 03:27:14 pm
In Albarracin of all places  :spank: :rtfm:

To be fair I think the arrow does add to the composition of the photo, but to do so in an area where there are access issues which in part stem from over use of chalk is just plain ignorant, but who knows, maybe they are good boulderers and brushed off their tick marks and arrows afterwards  :shrug:

dave

#410 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
November 21, 2008, 03:34:25 pm
he's also on that dyno wall that as far as I'm aware you're not allowed to climb on cos its in plain view of the road and only about 15ft from said carriageway.

chillax

• forum abuser
#411 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
November 21, 2008, 06:20:03 pm
and from this angle it looks like something very nasty has happened to his left arm

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#412 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
November 23, 2008, 08:54:37 pm
and from this angle it looks like something very nasty has happened to his left arm

Live in hope, if he is really somewhere where he shouldn't be.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#413 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
November 24, 2008, 02:02:55 pm
It seems the inspiration of Master's Edge being onsighted fairly regularly recently hasn't filtered down to the unwashed masses as much as it should. So it's back to headpointing by numbers for numpties. Or is that headpointing by numpties for numbers????

Crap phone photos btw.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#414 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
November 26, 2008, 11:36:41 am
Found this "little" beauty on my phone last night - I think that it was in the Congo Corner area at Stanage. Quite why this was donkey ticked in such a garish fashion is unknown as the hold is at eye level while stood on the ground and is quite probably big enough to see from the road!

bluebrad

rich d

• forum hero
Found this while deleting phone photos.

It was on that 6a on the side of the dog at Burgbage South. As usual it doesn't even look as if it'd any use, it took bloody ages to brush it off, longer than it did to belly flop/side roll the top out.  

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
... it took bloody ages to brush it off...

Well you did a grand job of brushing it off there Rich as I can't see it  :P

There ya go....

rich d

• forum hero
cheers :oops:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#418 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 02, 2009, 11:15:14 am
It is the year 2009. Grit E8 is now being flashed and even onsighted. No doubt E7 onsights are more common-place. Old-skool death solos are often highballed.

It's over a decade since Dave Jones fell off Braille Trail and got away unscathed. More recently a teenage boy has fallen off near the top of Grandad's Slab (closer to the inital ledge) unscathed, and effectively done the top crux of Braille Trail solo.

So what are people doing this days, in this climate of climbing progress and increased stylistic quality??

Tick marks?? Dick marks more like.

Also a big yawn goes out to the people dogging the hell out of the multiply-ground-upped Messiah  :yawn:

Danger

• player
#419 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 02, 2009, 07:12:28 pm
It was Katy "should be in DFBWGC" Whittaker, as she is a lass and headpointing E7 is still cutting edge-ish for the ladies does that make it ok?

:shrug:

andy popp

• forum hero
#420 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 02, 2009, 07:18:48 pm
Certainly the same ticks can still be seen in the photo of her doing it over on UKC. Nonetheless another good 'tick' in what is turning out to be a classic season.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#421 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 02, 2009, 09:21:36 pm
It was Katy "should be in DFBWGC" Whittaker, as she is a lass and headpointing E7 is still cutting edge-ish for the ladies does that make it ok?
It alleviates the irritation a little bit, yes, solely for the reason you give. Even so, I personally would expect / hope (and indeed enthusiastically praise) better things in this day and age, given her flash of Nosferatu, and given the aforementioned falls off this bit of rock. The above is all a bit....join the dots.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#422 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 02, 2009, 09:53:42 pm
The above is all a bit....join the dots.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#423 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 20, 2009, 10:26:16 pm
Paul Worsdale at Burbage West yesterday, 'appalled' at the treatment of West Side Story.

Its a fucking disgrace.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#424 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 20, 2009, 10:35:40 pm
Is Mr Worsdale sporting a goaty these days??!! Tell him that's more appalling than the state of WSS!!!   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal