UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 488737 times)

monkey boy

• forum hero
RE:  The above.

1st pic looks difficult, V10/V11+, those holds look small and the terrain is steep; accuracy required.  Rock looks granitesque & grey (none too difficlut to clean afterwards).

Sandstone pic is a travesty, not the ticks which are tiny but the holds.  They look terrible and I think that rock as gorgeous and rich as this should be treated better and receive a thorough washing once in a while.  Why did sandstone/ferrous-coloured chalk die out?  It's better than that white stuff.

Climbers talk the talk about respecting the rock but I hardly ever see them whack their muck off afterwards, nevermind wash holds. 

Don't get me started on cigarette butts either!   >:(   Not cool!

Its schule des lebans (8a+/b) or no mystery (8a/+) at chironico!

The Sausage

• forum abuser
ps, have you seen the 'arrow' down to the toe hook in the ju ju club picture? who is this retard?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Went to have a look at Arabesque and Eclipse the other day. I have never seen such a fucking mess. It was quite depressing. The pocket round the lip on Arabesque had about ten thick chalk lines pointing to it and everything else was also ticked to fuck. We talked about taking a picture for this thread but I forgot.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Went to have a look at Arabesque and Eclipse the other day. I have never seen such a fucking mess. It was quite depressing. The pocket round the lip on Arabesque had about ten thick chalk lines pointing to it and everything else was also ticked to fuck. We talked about taking a picture for this thread but I forgot.

The whole block had a dirty, graffitied, shat-on urban look to it that made me glad to walk away from it. Very dissapointing (and my arms hurt too much to pull on anyway).

Edit - some of the mess was actually graffiti about stopping using chalk.  :shrug:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Shame.  When I was there in Dec' a Japanese party were sieging the bloc in the damp.  The amount of chalk used was horrific.  You can see why it pisses-off Bleausards.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Edit - some of the mess was actually graffiti about stopping using chalk.  :shrug:

Yeah written in some sort of orange crayon right accross the white slab of rock on Eclipse. What the fuck?  :thumbsdown:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
We too were out last week - the orange graffiti said "STOP MAGNESIE" and we saw it in a variety of places - the Toit De Cul De Chien roof, L'Autre Toit Roof and on a random bloc next to Le Flippeur at 91.1. Some wag had covered the TDCDC writing in chalk.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
RE:  The above.

1st pic looks difficult, V10/V11+, those holds look small and the terrain is steep; accuracy required.  Rock looks granitesque & grey (none too difficlut to clean afterwards).

Sandstone pic is a travesty, not the ticks which are tiny but the holds.  They look terrible and I think that rock as gorgeous and rich as this should be treated better and receive a thorough washing once in a while.  Why did sandstone/ferrous-coloured chalk die out?  It's better than that white stuff.

Climbers talk the talk about respecting the rock but I hardly ever see them whack their muck off afterwards, nevermind wash holds. 

Don't get me started on cigarette butts either!   >:(   Not cool!
  I use a great little pocket-sized device called a stubbi for disposing of my tab ends , available to all at www.stubbi.com ....... Considered giving up the filthy habit but  I'm still cold turkeying from lack of alcohol and I'm no good at multi-tasking .....

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
May be not the most offensive, but this has really got my goat!

Went to Wrights rock last weekend to see tick  marks on almost every foot and handhold. Me and Andi brushed them all off, but on returning today they were back with a vengence! And back on A BLOODY JUG! AAAAHHHHHH! WHY!!!!

Can whoever it is please stop it, use your bloody eyes, theres enough chalk on the hold itself to see where it is, and the marks didn't even point to the best part of the jug!!!!

At least its not as bad as last years R and L being chalked on Wrights traverse  ;D

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
It's obscene . . .

. . . that climbers believe they are the most appropriate guardians of rocky places, and that perhaps they are the only group to use them.  I wonder what other people - in the Peak, for example - think of the filth we leave on such gorgeous brown and green rocks?  The fag and joint stubs; chalk wrappers; empty cans etc..  Climbers are extraordinarily selfish in this respect ie: the lack of.  Not to say we are the only abusers of special places, but really - so much of this destructive behaviour is avoidable.

And yes, I do have a hangover!  :furious:

don't get me started on this... the amount of crap climbers leave behind both disappoints and really pisses me off.. I've started taking a plazzy bag with me whenever I go out just to pick other peoples rubbish... so far this week I've picked up sweet wrappers at the base of brad pit, fag ends, tape and crisp packets from two squirrels / the drey.. clearly in this instance its boulderers.. but I can't for the life of me understand it.. I stopped thinking dropping litter made me cool when I was about thirteen..
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:43:02 pm by nathan wind »

jed

• player
  • Are you Experienced?
Glad to here someone is clearing up the crags out there.

Me and a mate filled 2 plastic bags with litter in the summer at Almscliff.

I sound like an old bastard but litter and graffiti at crags drives me fucking mad!!!

:rtfm:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Pointless marking at New Mills Tor...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Are you sure that isn't Anasazi artwork?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
We too were out last week - the orange graffiti said "STOP MAGNESIE" and we saw it in a variety of places - the Toit De Cul De Chien roof, L'Autre Toit Roof and on a random bloc next to Le Flippeur at 91.1. Some wag had covered the TDCDC writing in chalk.

And one month on it's still there. Anyone know what the deal is? Some person with a beef? Or just kids. I noticed in true graffiti style it said "STOP MAGESIE" in one place. never saw it other than in that area though.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
"STOP MAGESIE"

I would've loved to have been there a la Life of Brian in my centurion uniform w/ spear and caught them red-handed: given the illiterate cunts a lesson they'd never forget in Gallic spelling . . .

Now write it out a hundred times!

dave

people called romans they go into the house?

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
The Nose at Burbage West had huge tick marks on every hold the other night. Each mark was at least 4 inches long and an inch wide. I could see them clearly from the road as I drove past at 39mph (and no more officer). Ridiculous.

Hopefully they'll have been washed off now by the rain.

account_inactive

• forum hero
WTF do you need to tickmark on the nose?  You can see all the holds.  Maybe this is due to people climbing on grit when it's hot and humid (eh saltbeef :lol:)

SA Chris

• forum hero
people called romans they go into the house?

romanii eust unt?

Peanuts

• player
CENTURION:  Now, wash it off a hundred times.
Punter:   Yes, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.
CENTURION: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.

I paraphrase  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
CENTURION:  Now, wash it off write it out a hundred times.
Punter:   Yes, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.
CENTURION: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.

I paraphrase  ;) (badly)

:)

Peanuts

• player
It was a toss up ... to go with the original or something just slightly related to bouldering, after all we wouldn't want the little buggers chalking up a hundred more donkey stripes  ::)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Last week I saw a tick mark on the pocket of Hank's wall.  Luckily I brushed it off, and later it rained and washed it away.
Then I went back yesterday and it was back:

WTF??  It's an obvious pocket, even when doing Hank's.
I doubt it was anyone on here, but whoever did it- please don't.

dave

maybe its some jesus-heads. or some patriotic swiss attempting a crude rendition of their national ensign.

andy_e

• forum hero
I'm more concerned about the amount of chalk leaking out of Layback, WTF?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal