UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 488633 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
with my age and general decrepiside.i can't see things so mark them up also i then forget rub them off.sometimes i even forget what i've gone to the crag for and just walk round drawing little lines.

with the other sort of white powder?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
this is wrong on so many levels:
not only it is a horrible way to tick a foothold, but also it means the most idiotic sequence to do that problem (unless you are 2 meters tall).

webbo

• forum hero
maybe thats advanced donkey lining.you mark the holds that you don't use.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
this is wrong on so many levels:
not only it is a horrible way to tick a foothold, but also it means the most idiotic sequence to do that problem (unless you are 2 meters tall).

That's not been ticked, it has been crossed out to prevent people from using it by mistake - a stroke (well 2 really) of genius.

andy_e

• forum hero
#329 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 21, 2008, 04:08:03 pm
It's a starting handhold...  :spank:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#330 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 21, 2008, 04:18:36 pm
thats fucking awful. why? you don't even put your foot in there

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#331 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 21, 2008, 04:20:45 pm
It's a starting handhold...

Not if you're doing the sit start.
It's still unnacceptable though, as was the amount of tickage left on DWR after the weekend.

andy_e

• forum hero
#332 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 21, 2008, 04:23:24 pm
Yeah DWR was fucked on friday. It was as if CAMP's factory had exploded and the fallout had settled on almscliff...

i.munro

• junky
#333 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 21, 2008, 04:34:12 pm
Yeah DWR was fucked on friday. It was as if CAMP's factory had exploded and the fallout had settled on almscliff...

I have a vision of bits of axes & harnesses all over the place. I suspect that's not what you mean though ... ;D

monkey boy

• forum hero
#334 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 21, 2008, 04:46:17 pm
Thats some of the worst tick marks i have seen and too not brush them off. Whoever it is should be shot! I thought Hueco was bad but fuck me!

andy_e

• forum hero
#335 Re: Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame.
February 21, 2008, 07:13:23 pm
I tried to brush them off two days in a row but they just wouldn't budge...

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Time for a resurrection

Is he trying to count to 5 or something...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
RE:  The above.

1st pic looks difficult, V10/V11+, those holds look small and the terrain is steep; accuracy required.  Rock looks granitesque & grey (none too difficlut to clean afterwards).

Sandstone pic is a travesty, not the ticks which are tiny but the holds.  They look terrible and I think that rock as gorgeous and rich as this should be treated better and receive a thorough washing once in a while.  Why did sandstone/ferrous-coloured chalk die out?  It's better than that white stuff.

Climbers talk the talk about respecting the rock but I hardly ever see them whack their muck off afterwards, nevermind wash holds. 

Don't get me started on cigarette butts either!   >:(   Not cool!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Don't get me started on cigarette butts either!   >:(   Not cool!

I find the zip pocket on my chalk bag particularly handy for these.  Makes the chalk stink, but that in itself discourages me from using so much  :P

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
What we have here is the development of a ritual. The extension of an initially ad hoc and almost certainly quite useful indication of "where the fucking hold is" to something done to invoke the hold's presence after the 300th failure to do the problem. Ticking a hold is now like chalking up: you don't do it because you need to but because it is part of the psyching for doing the problem. 
You could PhD's on this shit

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
It's obscene . . .

. . . that climbers believe they are the most appropriate guardians of rocky places, and that perhaps they are the only group to use them.  I wonder what other people - in the Peak, for example - think of the filth we leave on such gorgeous brown and green rocks?  The fag and joint stubs; chalk wrappers; empty cans etc..  Climbers are extraordinarily selfish in this respect ie: the lack of.  Not to say we are the only abusers of special places, but really - so much of this destructive behaviour is avoidable.

And yes, I do have a hangover!  :furious:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
It's obscene . . .

. . . that climbers believe they are the most appropriate guardians of rocky places, and that perhaps they are the only group to use them.  I wonder what other people - in the Peak, for example - think of the filth we leave on such gorgeous brown and green rocks?  The fag and joint stubs; chalk wrappers; empty cans etc..  Climbers are extraordinarily selfish in this respect ie: the lack of.  Not to say we are the only abusers of special places, but really - so much of this destructive behaviour is avoidable.

And yes, I do have a hangover!  :furious:

As on outdoor user group we do ourselves little favour I agree..

I too have the effects of a rather good evening resonating through my skull. Now remember why I rarely drink red wine...

Idol eyes

• junky
Coloured chalk?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I seem to remember coloured chalk was tried years ago but never took off.  I guess you'd need a different colour for each different rock type etc etc

A lot easier to use less chalk and brush it off afterwards.

Idol eyes

• junky
Coloured chalk?
Jus Kiddin!
Think they tried coulored bolts too, in Heuco?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I've seen (or not seen) coloured bolts in a few places.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
What we have here is the development of a ritual. The extension of an initially ad hoc and almost certainly quite useful indication of "where the fucking hold is" to something done to invoke the hold's presence after the 300th failure to do the problem. Ticking a hold is now like chalking up: you don't do it because you need to but because it is part of the psyching for doing the problem. 
You could PhD's on this shit

:agree:

Stubbs

It's a f*cking jug you C*NTS

This sort of crap always happens when it's been dry for a while and people think caley might be a go. Respect the crag.

andy_e

• forum hero
I can understand a small tick for the top but not one massive one on that bit!  :spank:

The Sausage

• forum abuser
I think you rarely need more than a spot to indicate direction. why do you need the marks to go all the way to the hold? you can't see it anyway. has nobody else thought to use a bit of finger tape instead of chalk - i did this on the keel to universal derision. until i peeled it off leaving No Mark Whatsoever...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal