UKBouldering.com

[Peak][stanage][plantation][Coming Up For Air][8A] (Read 18090 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I know Martin took the fall on the attempted repeat and back then the landing was considerably worse (big block has since been moved).

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Fuck me you dont wanna drop that catch, you would be near the buckstone when you touched down.

I top roped Big Air around '88 and it felt fairly easy, have a go i though, I then stood on the boulder psyching for about an hour, getting ready and hunkering down for the jump and then jibbing at the last moment and my opinion on how easy it felt on a toppy slowly evaporated. Just to weird and scary at the time

scooby doo

• regular
Good effort on this one Will. Nice jump, with your ability you should def get to the tank project! I think I can say that would be a significant ascent as far as dynes go!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I know Martin took the fall on the attempted repeat and back then the landing was considerably worse (big block has since been moved).

Weren't there some photos of his feet looking pretty fooked as a result of it?

Stubbs

In the OTE article wasn't the story that on one attempt he missed the pocket, but managed to spin around and catch the lip of the boulder he'd jumped from? Bonkers!

SamT

• forum hero

There are some comments on another certain forum [whose name shall not be mentioned] against the iconic photo of Martin leaping across the void.

Quote from: 'S11'
Thanks for your comment. It's a long time ago now but, yes, on one of the attempts he did 'stuff' it up, missed the pocket and fell into the gully but with an amazing agility he pushed himself off the gully walls going down from side to side and emerging unhurt. One of the most impressive things I've ever seen. He then had another go and did it straight away but I can't remember exactly which go this particular photo came from.

So whom ever S11 is, took that photo  http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=81792

Figgin good effort on the direct - both of you, made to look easy(ish)  :bow:

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
Just dragged out that copy of OTE and the photographer was Ian Smith .......   

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Some true classic shots in Ian's gallery there (including that one).

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
  :agree:

The guy soloing The Knock with a mullet is my new hero.

Well done you dyno beasts too.

andy popp

• forum hero

Didn't even need to look to know it would be Shaun (Hutson) - legend!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

You'd probably like some of the pictures in...

Wood FT

• forum hero

You'd probably like some of the pictures in...

Is that the one with Mark leach on screaming dream in some (even by 80's standards) mental leggings?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Yes, that's a great pic as well.

dave

Can't believe some of you don't own the 1991 froggatt guide. That and the '89 stanage guide are pretty much my bible and quran.

martin veale

First of all a big congrats to Will on Coming Up For Air, a great effort...The Mental Block is the block that just keeps on giving. For the sake of historical context, this year is the Silver Jubilee of Big Air - born 1987! Ian Smith's photo was of the 2nd ascent, just for the pictures. The fall was taken after missing the pocket...previously I never ever missed the pocket, not even on the first top rope session. On the photo occasion, in mid-air I knew I was going to miss the pocket, so when my hands slapped the rock just below, I pushed off, span round in mid-flight & managed somehow to catch the edge of the starting block with both hands...that really made my hands smart! But I knew that I didn't want to land in the chasm on the rocks below (no pads in those days & a worse landing) The moral of this story is 'Don't show off just for a picture'. I've still never seen anyone else do Big Air but would love to... the closest I got was once seeing someone's hand in the big pocket, it was Mike Weeks stood on his tiptoes at full stretch but I think he was too stretched to pull. So glad it's now considered such a classic & on so many peoples to-do lists...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal