UKBouldering.com

5 months in Liège . . . (Read 1958 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
5 months in Liège . . .
January 12, 2012, 01:43:18 pm
I've just moved to Liège in Belgium for 5 months. I'm working at the University here. I'm pretty keen to keep climbing whilst I'm out here. I seen there are a couple of climbing wall options nearby and some sport crags about an hour or so south, but I image they are a bit damp at the moment. I'm also keen to take advantage of its (relative) proximity to other european spots such as font . I was wondering if anyone was around, had any advice or any local knowledge of decent spots to keep up the psyche.

Word. Jamie

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: 5 months in Liège . . .
January 12, 2012, 09:08:15 pm
Try here.  I thought Freyr was good and Marche les Dames worth visiting. bet more has been developed since.

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: 5 months in Liège . . .
January 12, 2012, 09:24:56 pm
Don't know about the climbing but effort on the job Jamie.

JamieG

• forum hero
#3 Re: 5 months in Liège . . .
January 13, 2012, 10:10:02 am
Cheers guys, I'll have a good look over belclimb.net (haha, i love the name, juvenile i know). Cheers for the job congratulations. Good to earn some proper money, even if it is in the crashing eurozone. Still I can think of other attractions to Belgium . . . .  :beer2: . . . .

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
#4 Re: 5 months in Liège . . .
January 13, 2012, 11:04:33 am
Hi,

There's plenty to do in winter/spring round Liege.

Freyr is the best area by far. About an hours drive from Liege. The routes on the 5 Anes and Al Legne sectors are very, very good. Have a look at the Belclimb routes-db for to get a idea which routes are best. There's good climbing in Mozet, Beez, and some smaller area's near the river Meuse as well.

The crags along the Ourthe river tend to be small in size as well in the amount of routes. Like slabs? Visit Esneux, Tilff or Les Awirs. Fancy bouldery routes  - indoor style: Bomal is the place to go. Cobblestone: Roche a Frene.

Like cracks and/or trad? Go visit Ettringen! About 1:45 from Liege and located near Koblenz in Germany. There's about 1300 routes to choose from. The website klettern-Ettringen.de has got a list of all the routes.  It's a good place to visit in winter as well - we'll go there on sunday and with the current temperatures and a bit of sunshine I expect to be able to climb in a tee without being (too) cold.

Indoors there's plenty to choose from as well: Liege, Heerlen, Gulpen, Aachen, etc. There will be a large bouldering gym in Sittard in 3 months time.

Berdorf in Luxembourg has some great climbing, but the crags need some time to dry after the rain of the past weeks. Beware of condensation in winter after a distinct rise in temperature. On a good day in winter or early spring nothing beats climbing in Berdorf - well, maybe climbing on the Al Legne... 

Have fun!

JamieG

• forum hero
#5 Re: 5 months in Liège . . .
January 13, 2012, 04:27:32 pm
Cheers HaeMeS,

That is a good amount of info. I'll definitely want to get down to Freyr. I'll try a scope out some other willing climbers at the wall or in my department and work.

Cheers Jamie

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal