UKBouldering.com

Dumbarton (Read 5835 times)

Milford Cubicle

• player
Dumbarton
January 11, 2012, 05:23:03 pm
Like half an hour away from dumbarton till the end of jan, how quickly does it dry? Pretty poor weather atm but really hoping I can get outside whilst I'm here. Are there some boulders which will be likely to be dry a lot quicker than others?

Cheers

x

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Dumbarton
January 13, 2012, 02:41:31 pm
Most dries super-quick as it catches the wind coming up the clyde, the only thing that stays wet for any length of time (from my distant memory of climbing there on a regular basis) is pongo sit start and this tends to dry in a day or so of dry weather.
 The only problem with the wind is it tends to get very cold there when the wind is blowing

Milford Cubicle

• player
#2 Re: Dumbarton
January 13, 2012, 04:37:04 pm
Thanks for the reply, went there yesterday and heading there again tomorrow, don't think the sit start for pongo being wets gonna be causing me much trouble :P problems felt pretty nails but got a while to work on the so hopefully il send a few things :)

x

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#3 Re: Dumbarton
January 13, 2012, 05:14:54 pm
Dumby is awesome.

Dries super quick, there's always something to climb if you search about.

What grade you climbing? I'll recommend some problems if you like.

Milford Cubicle

• player
#4 Re: Dumbarton
January 13, 2012, 07:07:52 pm
Like 6's lower to start but as I'l be going a bunch and will have time to work things higher up in the 6's as well, would like to think slipping into the low 7's but I highly doubt that lol was thinking of trying the railings on the suckers boulder tomorrow, was trying double slopers on the eagle boulder yesterday was struggling with getting off the floor though :( do you know what holds the sit start to zig zag starts on? Also did the traverse on the warm up boulder yest but turns out I did it to high so need to get back on that and do it properly :P

x

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#5 Re: Dumbarton
January 13, 2012, 07:10:06 pm
I've got a sore toe.

But, I might be able to pop down for some fresh air tomorrow and could maybe show you around - was meant to be off to the Alps, but not going till Monday, so at a bit of a loose end!

Milford Cubicle

• player
#6 Re: Dumbarton
January 13, 2012, 07:14:53 pm
That'd be kl, I'm always happy to steal local's/better climbers than me's beta :P Was thinking of getting there a bit before 12?

x

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#7 Re: Dumbarton
January 13, 2012, 07:34:45 pm
Ali will be as good a guide as any!

I would recommend -

BNI Boulder -

Good Nicks, 6B

Chahala, 5+, Campus fun

Pongo Boulder -

Pongo, 6C+, super classic, a must

Hard Cheddar, 5+, classic

Suckers Boulder -

Toto, 6B, awesome problem, shiny painted footholds

Eagle Boulder -

Gorilla 6B+, you have to do this, classic of the crag.

If you're after something a little harder to project I would Recommend -

Mugsy, 7A-ish, there are a few methods for this, they're all good.

Slap Happy, 7A, the best (and most frustrating) problem in the world  :P

I'm long overdue a Dumby session, I miss the place  :'(

Milford Cubicle

• player
#8 Re: Dumbarton
January 13, 2012, 08:54:09 pm
Had a look at Chahala defo gonna give it a go but not sure if I'l be able to campus that far, was planning on doing gorrila after seeing some vids but the start holds weren't quite as big as I was hoping when I got there :P and think im gonna try and project pongo and slap happy.

Thanks for the suggestions :) Do you know how to do double slopers? It dosen't say that its a sit start on the topo on the dumby website so is it a stand start? That would make it a lot easier :P and also for the sit start to zig zag are you allowed to use the undercut for double slopers to get you off the floor or does it start more left than that?

x

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#9 Re: Dumbarton
January 14, 2012, 12:37:39 am
You can't project Slap Happy. You can only fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail, give up, come back  fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail, give up, come back,  fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail.

Send.

Go home, celebrate.

Come back.

fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail.

Etc. etc.

Gorilla's ace!

Jeans

#10 Re: Dumbarton
January 14, 2012, 07:38:57 pm
Did you head down today? was everything dry?

Milford Cubicle

• player
#11 Re: Dumbarton
January 14, 2012, 08:24:28 pm
Didn't go down today coz looked like it was wet, looks like it could be good tomorrow, gonna look in the morning and hopefully head over :)

x

Jeans

#12 Re: Dumbarton
January 16, 2012, 09:23:40 pm
Bonne cons again today, plus thats 2 days in a row that its not rained in glasgow (must be a record for January). Even pongo was dry...

Heading down again on thursday if anyone is keen?

Milford Cubicle

• player
#13 Re: Dumbarton
January 16, 2012, 09:26:11 pm
Conditions looked gd today but i was hurting :P I think I'l be heading down weds/thurs depending on which the weather looks better for, meant to rain tomorrow and thurs but be dry weds atm but that could all change...

x

Milford Cubicle

• player
#14 Re: Dumbarton
January 19, 2012, 01:59:25 pm
Was there this morning and most things where dry but started chucking it down on the way back to the train station... sundays looking pretty gd if anyones game?

x

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Dumbarton
March 28, 2013, 07:53:00 am
HI,
has anyone been recently, is the snow affecting play much??

cheers.

north_country_boy

• junky
#16 Re: Dumbarton
March 28, 2013, 08:12:52 am
HI,
has anyone been recently, is the snow affecting play much??

cheers.

Snowed in Glasgow overnight so likely to be white at Dumby. Very mixed weather yesterday, but shouldn't have got soaked. May be good over the Easter weekend...and graffiti free!

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Dumbarton
March 28, 2013, 09:17:12 am
Going sunday Jordan, give us a text if you are about!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#18 Re: Dumbarton
March 28, 2013, 12:18:58 pm
Snowed in Glasgow overnight so likely to be white at Dumby. Very mixed weather yesterday, but shouldn't have got soaked.
It's not really lying though, there's none where I am and it's bright blue skies and sunshine in Glasgow now, it might not be too bad at Dumby, the snow seems fairly localised.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal