UKBouldering.com

Recovering from radial head fracture and brocken ribs (Read 1225 times)

juggins

So due to a nagging shoulder injury I went over to the dark side and did some mountain biking and yep had a bit of a crash.
At the beginning of October I broke some ribs and got a small radial head fracture. The ribs are healing slowly as expected I can now sneeze without crying or teaching my kids new words. BUT the radial head fracture is causing more problems, over the holidays have started some light training again on my board and beastmaker and apart from the chronic lack (not there was much to start with) power, my elbow aches badly pulling on anything steep even on jugs. The break was not put in a cast just a sling for two weeks and no physio as the orthopedic consultant said it was not necessary.

Anyone had any experience of this sort of injury? am I just training again to soon? should it ache so much? is it time to find a physio?

cheers

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Anyone had any experience of this sort of injury?
Split it completely in 2000, 2 screws still in, 100% recovery though elbow injuries can result in reduced mobility.

am I just training again to soon?
Don't know, I thought 3 months for an adult bone to fully regain strength, but would depend on the severity I guess. I would think you're more likely to be getting pain from soft tissue than bone now, but I'm not a physio.

should it ache so much?
mine ached a bit less IIRC

is it time to find a physio?
It does need physio:  it needs mobilising, the elbow both flexes and rotates, so you should be doing exercises to restore/ensure mobility. Are you happy with it? If not talk to an expert - I would.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Never underrate a physio!!!
Back around the time of the Dinosaurs, I ruptured the disk between 4th and 5th lumbar vertebra, in a surfing accident.
This resulted in the almost total loss of movement/control of my left leg. My Doctor, told me this was permanent and started the process to have me registered disabled. I couldn't accept that and argued for physio. He told me there was an eight month waiting list and it was pointless anyway. I refused to leave his office until he gave me the contact for a private physio.
After ten minutes in the physios' office, she said " no problem, we'll have you up and about in 3 months, through exercise or I can refer you to the anathesiologist for an epidural."
With a combo of physio and the epidural I was back at work one month later...
Cost me an arm and a leg (ha ha) but saved my life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal