UKBouldering.com

Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio? (Read 5790 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 06:06:07 pm
I think this belongs in this section...

Think I'm getting a car soon and wondered if anyone had used a Clio before (2001 model if it makes a difference). Is it hard to fit mats and people in? I'm looking at this car as I can get it cheap and the insurance is affordable (I'm 20 so everything is ridiculous).

3 of us were considering a font trip too, would this be viable?

Cheers
James

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 06:13:47 pm
My dad went camping in the South of France in a Mini when he was a lad with three of his mates in the car. I'm sure you'll manage if you squeeze  :)

fried

• forum hero
#2 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 06:16:31 pm
3's pushing it if you're camping but O.K if you stay in a gite and share stuff. I had a clio for years and luckily the first mat I bought (I still have the same one) fit exactly in the boot.

What I mean by pushing, is very uncomfortable.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 06:23:01 pm
If you're camping in Font, then just strap the mats to the roof for the drive down. Just wang em on the top of the roof and put some cargo straps over them and under tops of the doors.. I've seen 5 go to Font in a Yaris that way.. and they still spoke to each other afterwards, so it cant have been that bad!

Wagner

• Feel my big love...
#4 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 06:33:28 pm
I've caned a few bifta's in a Clio, but never done acid in one...

205Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 06:52:52 pm
If it's got a split / fold rear seat your best bet is probably to fold one side down, cram the mats along this side leaving some space in the boot for the rest of your gear and 3 seats free if you're not a fan of the 'strap the mats of the roof' plan.

dave

#6 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 07:16:55 pm
A roofbox gives you an extra bootsworth of space, and your mats wont get drenched on the drive down, worth considering as there are generally a lot going on ebay quite cheap.

nodder

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 08:13:34 pm
3 of us did a week in font out of a 106, guessing that is similar.  It was so good I brought it.  Since then it took 2 of us to Austria with camping shit and 3 mats, at home i leave the back seats down and can have 5+ mats in easy.  Split back seat will be vital for the 3 people and stuff to font
though. 

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 08:15:43 pm
Back in 97 I had a 16v Clio and did a trip to Font with  me and 3 mates for a week. Not sure if we had pads back then, maybe one between us. You could go old school makes the high balls seem a lot higher. Worst memory was grounding it out on these low kerbs in the supermarket near the hotel de la gare. Possibly the worst noise I have ever heard. Guess the only problem now is fuel is thrice the price so it makes trips pricey and evn small cars of that age aren't too economical. You can get a 4 year old diesel FIat Panda for £3k that does just shy of 70mpg, £30 tax and group 1 insurance. Quite roomy inside.

Have a  good trip.

cofe

• forum hero
#9 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 08:52:19 pm
My bro has done Font plenty of times in his old Clio. He drove to Mello last year too when their flight got cancelled by Sleazyjet. They're not that small. The diesels are ridiculously economical too apparently.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#10 Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 09:16:48 pm
Yep, Citroen AX, 4 adults, 3 mats, two lead kits, tents, sleeping bags and kit...
Took the back seat out, the two in the back sat on the mats.
Cornwall to Portsmouth, to Font, to Ardeche, to Font and back to Cornwall.

Dutch

• regular
#11 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 19, 2011, 10:00:44 pm
I had an o4 Clio. Like cofe said I did font probably 5-6 times, went to the alps snowboarding twice, went to mello with 4 people and all our shit in as well as numerous trips to north Wales etc. it was only a 1.2 16v and I never had any trouble with it. Boot is a bit awkward to get mats and stuff in but managed fine. I reckon a good buy if it's in good nick.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#12 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 20, 2011, 01:28:20 pm
Six of us drove to Moscow in a Smart with seven mats, 1000m of static line, a full set of hexes, a superkingsize mattress and a marquee.

dave

#13 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 20, 2011, 01:42:25 pm
Six of us drove to Moscow in a Smart with seven mats, 1000m of static line, a full set of hexes, a superkingsize mattress and a marquee.

luxury!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#14 Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 20, 2011, 02:29:34 pm

Ah, but my cat's blacker than your cat...

James Malloch

• forum hero
#15 Re: Anyone done a trip in a Renault Clio?
December 20, 2011, 03:45:31 pm
Thanks a lot for the replies! I've decided to.bite the bullet and go for it. Can't afford anything bigger so it'll do! Next stop, gardoms.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal