UKBouldering.com

How do I get White Hot finger strength (but no Golfer's please)? (Read 21656 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
[quote author=Sasquatch link=topic=19141.msg356671#msg356671
2: Often times the inability to hang one armed is a shoulder girdle strength issue which can be trained.  especially if you can't hang a jug.....

What would you do (or have you done) to train this?
[/quote]

The best I've found is to do 1-arm assisted hangs.  I use a pully and do 1-arm hangs on decent holds, but try to stay square to the board.  At first I was doing it off a bar while hanging off 1-arm trying to slowly and in control turn my body each way(think twisting in the wind :))

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck

...basically negative wrist curls, in case it wasn't obvious.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
[quote author=Sasquatch link=topic=19141.msg356709#msg356709
The best I've found is to do 1-arm assisted hangs.  I use a pully and do 1-arm hangs on decent holds, but try to stay square to the board.  At first I was doing it off a bar while hanging off 1-arm trying to slowly and in control turn my body each way(think twisting in the wind :))
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
 In my experience, At first I could barely hang one arm off a bar without twisting.  once I learned to control that twist, I was able to hang off the edges and slopers much better. The gains came very rapidly too, which was nice.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
Thanks for that Sasquatch. I was lifting my feet so hopefully measuring grip strength rather than pull strength. Regarding my shoulders I don't think they are the weak link. I read on here that you can eliminate them by hanging one handed and holding your opposite bicep with your free arm. And I still can't hang one handed. One arm locks on a bar and slowly lowering on one arm I can do okay.

Going back to a previous point that someone mentioned... Is there a good reason why one shouldn't try to isolate certain types of muscle development in the forearms (eg hypertrophy, recruitment, etc) ? I think it was Nible who said this.

Thanks again all!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal