UKBouldering.com

Public Sector Workers Strike Poll (Read 42034 times)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#75 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 09:05:51 am
I think IanP's question, which would also be mine, is whether the current pension pot and the current rate of paying in, can sustain pensions into the future once you factor in extended life expectancy? Is this a static pot, or like most pensions is its sustainability based on assumptions about the quality of what it's invested in (which are now no longer valid)? If it can be sustained, then this would seem like a backdoor method of pulling money out of the public sector without cutting more salaries or jobs. If it can't, then whatever deal was promised in the past would still require government subsidy that arguably cannot be justified when everyone else has much poorer pension provision.

Comparing things to the private sector on the basis that growth is predicted to return in a few years, after all I've read, seems wishful thinking. The current deficit reduction plan and predictions of growth returning are based on two things: 1) no collapse of the euro (which is a 50/50 bet at best it would seem) 2) the interest rate we pay on debt staying more or less the same, aren't they? My fear is that if the euro goes under our economy will nosedive, debts spiral and our interest rate goes up. Alternatively, if the eurozone sorts its self out then suddenly our debt becomes the least attractive in europe and our interest rate still goes up. Net result is all predictions are wrong, this isn't the last round of austerity and the state will have to be dramatically reduced in size. In which case shaving a bit off pensions is going to seem irrelevant.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:29:34 am by Ru »

IanP

• forum abuser
#76 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 09:57:07 am
IanP - the question of what is sustainable is a difficult one. One way or another, old people need enough money to live. That means a pension which supports them.

The money for that has to come from somewhere. You totally reject increasing employer contributions in the private sector, yet the alternative is for the employee to shoulder the burden. Either way, it's money taken out of the economy, with all that implies.

What is unsustainable is the fact that many private sector workers have NO pension provision and most have pensions which will be insufficient. Unless we want to simply cull old people, we're spending money now that we need to save until later. Thats unsustainable.

As to the implied position you take that public sector workers should contribute to austerity, well they already are. Their wages will drop in real terms by a similar amount to the private sector (albeit slightly more slowly), they have seen and will see massive redundancies. According to the IFS they can expect this to continue for two years into the NEXT parliament, well after growth has returned to the private sector.

All this is necessary. I suspect the unions will even accept a deal with two of the three government proposals included (they already have conceded moving from RPI to CPI). However, it is just wrong to hit them with a triple whammy of paying more, working longer and getting less at the end.

I had a look on the pensions calculator. A "typical" 30 yr old schoolteacher loses 3% on their salary, works 3 years longer, and gets £6000/yr less for their sacrifice. No wonder they're on strike.

I'm not totally rejecting anything - it just seems very unlikely that UK employers could absorb a 4-8% increase in employee costs in the current environment.  My position on pensions is that we need to live in the real world - it seems that there's a lucky generation who has gained from improving health and longer lifespans while still retiring on the basis of plans which were put in place many years before based on very different assumptions.  Do people in there 30's and 40's now really expect to have the same pension arrangements as their parents? 

Interested in where you got your £6000 less pension figure - I had a quick look on the Teachers pension calculator and couldn't find a proper comparison. Comparing average salary pension to final salary is pretty complicated and needs quite a lot of assumptions (guesses!)  - the lack of proper information can't help in any attempt to have a mature debate between the parties.

Even before the current financial problems in the developed world the expectation of retirement in your early 60's was being challenged - as per Ru's post if the western world really is starting a period of stagnation when compared to the up an coming economies of the developing world then striking over pensions really could start to look like fiddling while Rome burns.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#77 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 10:08:04 am
And, based on these facts people argue that they shouldn't strike? I find that pretty gobsmacking. OK, public sector pensions are the envy of many in the private sector, but surely the answer to this is to improve the private sector pensions?

I'm not saying they shouldn't strike, I'm saying I can't see what it will acheive.

If FatKid went on strike and noone could see their GPs for a day, do you think Doctors would get public support?  Or do you think the papers would be full of "Lazy bastard GPs go on strike whilst earning £120,000"?

As an aside, as FatKid briefly alluded to, this may be true on paper but it's spin really.  OK, so gross pay is £120k- take off employers and employees contributions for pension (Partners are self employed) then you lose over 20% (soon to be increased to over 22%).  Add in >50% tax, with loss of the 10% allowance, and take off the 10K of compulsory fees etc then a net pay of £30k doesn't sound as impressive.  I'm not going to argue it's shit money, but it's not 120K in any way.  There's a lot of people bring home more than £2500 net a month.

PS I am not working as a Partner so I'm not moaning about my own circumstances.

galpinos

• forum hero
#78 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 10:09:18 am
- the lack of proper information can't help in any attempt to have a mature debate between the parties.

I find the amount of spin from both sides depressing.

One question I've always wondered, if life in the public sector is so rosy, the pay equivalent and the pensions guilt edged, how come all my private sector money grabbing fat cat chums and I aren't fighting to get a job in the public sector?

webbo

• forum hero
#79 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 10:39:52 am
A nurse, a banker, a tory mp and a daily mail reader are all sat round a table on which there is a plate with 10 bicuits on it. The banker reachs across grabs and eats 9 of the biscuits, the tory mp leans across and whispers to the daily mail reader " watch it that nurse is after your biscuit".

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#80 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 10:45:48 am
And, based on these facts people argue that they shouldn't strike? I find that pretty gobsmacking. OK, public sector pensions are the envy of many in the private sector, but surely the answer to this is to improve the private sector pensions?

I'm not saying they shouldn't strike, I'm saying I can't see what it will acheive.

If FatKid went on strike and noone could see their GPs for a day, do you think Doctors would get public support?  Or do you think the papers would be full of "Lazy bastard GPs go on strike whilst earning £120,000"?

As an aside, as FatKid briefly alluded to, this may be true on paper but it's spin really.  OK, so gross pay is £120k- take off employers and employees contributions for pension (Partners are self employed) then you lose over 20% (soon to be increased to over 22%).  Add in >50% tax, with loss of the 10% allowance, and take off the 10K of compulsory fees etc then a net pay of £30k doesn't sound as impressive.  I'm not going to argue it's shit money, but it's not 120K in any way.  There's a lot of people bring home more than £2500 net a month.

PS I am not working as a Partner so I'm not moaning about my own circumstances.

If you're self employed then your pension contributions reduce your income for higher rate tax purposes so if you were paying 20% on £120k then that would be £24k. This would mean your income would be classed as under £100k for the purposes of calculating basic / higher rate tax and the personal allowance (i.e. no loss of personal allowance).

Plus you're not going anywhere near the 50% tax band as that's on taxable income OVER £150k.

That's before you take into account other allowable expenses. I'm assuming "£10k of compulsory fees" falls into this category?

Even if you only allowed for this (in the real worls there will be loads more you can claim) then the actual tax / NI due will be around £32k.

So. £120k salary - £24k pension - £32k tax - £10k fees = £54k net or £4500 a month.

:smartass:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#81 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 10:50:18 am
A nurse, a banker, a tory mp and a daily mail reader are all sat round a table on which there is a plate with 10 bicuits on it. The banker reachs across grabs and eats 9 of the biscuits, the tory mp leans across and whispers to the daily mail reader " watch it that nurse is after your biscuit".

Goes to show....you shouldn't read the daily fail. :clown:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#82 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 10:52:40 am
I know it's not the 50% band, it's 40% with loss of the 10% allowance.  Although I wasn't aware Re pensions influencing band.

Although I will bow to your superior knowledge!  Although the point of lack of support still remains.  And that I need to change jobs....

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#83 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:09:35 am
I think IanP's question, which would also be mine, is whether the current pension pot and the current rate of paying in, can sustain pensions into the future once you factor in extended life expectancy? Is this a static pot, or like most pensions is its sustainability based on assumptions about the quality of what it's invested in (which are now no longer valid)? If it can be sustained, then this would seem like a backdoor method of pulling money out of the public sector without cutting more salaries or jobs. If it can't, then whatever deal was promised in the past would still require government subsidy that arguably cannot be justified when everyone else has much poorer pension provision.

Comparing things to the private sector on the basis that growth is predicted to return in a few years, after all I've read, seems wishful thinking. The current deficit reduction plan and predictions of growth returning are based on two things: 1) no collapse of the euro (which is a 50/50 bet at best it would seem) 2) the interest rate we pay on debt staying more or less the same, aren't they? My fear is that if the euro goes under our economy will nosedive, debts spiral and our interest rate goes up. Alternatively, if the eurozone sorts its self out then suddenly our debt becomes the least attractive in europe and our interest rate still goes up. Net result is all predictions are wrong, this isn't the last round of austerity and the state will have to be dramatically reduced in size. In which case shaving a bit off pensions is going to seem irrelevant.

The answer to the first part is a yes. Public sector pensions don't work like other schemes. In essence, the government takes money in, and commits to pay the benefits defined. Based on reforms already implemented to public sector pensions, the burden on the public purse is already falling, and is set to stabilise at a lower level. So it is clearly "affordable" in that sense, even in the light of rising life expectancy. This is because the public sector has already made commitments to lose some of their pension benefits, and to shoulder the burden of future cost increases themselves. The tory proposals to increase contributions are *on top* of this, and is basically a cash-grab.

As to your second point, all plans are made on the basis of future expectations of growth. My point is that, if growth returns the private sector will be able to look forward to rising employment and wages. The public sector will face at least 5 more years of wage restraint and job cuts. The job losses announced this week is more than the entire civil service, for context.

If the euro goes south, and growth doesn't return things will get worse for everyone, but from a baseline where prospects for those in the public sector look worse at the moment.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#84 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:19:10 am
I know it's not the 50% band, it's 40% with loss of the 10% allowance.  Although I wasn't aware Re pensions influencing band.

Although I will bow to your superior knowledge!  Although the point of lack of support still remains.  And that I need to change jobs....

Sorry to be a pedant but as it's the one area where I do actually know what I'm on about......

There is no 10% band any more (unless you only have savings income) the loss of personal allowance thing is that anyone who earns more than £100k loses part (or all) of the amount which they pay nothing on (on a sliding scale).

Everyone starts with a personal allowance of £7475 on which they pay no tax but once you earn over £100k it is reduced by £1 for every £2 of income and is therefore wiped out once income reaches £114,950.

:geek:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#85 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:24:27 am
Do you ever wish you hadn't bothered?   ;)

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#86 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:31:17 am
I'm not totally rejecting anything - it just seems very unlikely that UK employers could absorb a 4-8% increase in employee costs in the current environment.  My position on pensions is that we need to live in the real world - it seems that there's a lucky generation who has gained from improving health and longer lifespans while still retiring on the basis of plans which were put in place many years before based on very different assumptions.  Do people in there 30's and 40's now really expect to have the same pension arrangements as their parents? 

No. no-one expects that, which is why the public sector has already accepted large cuts to their pensions, and will (in all probability) accept more. That doesn't mean they should meekly sit on their hands whilst the government robs them blind.

Interested in where you got your £6000 less pension figure - I had a quick look on the Teachers pension calculator and couldn't find a proper comparison. Comparing average salary pension to final salary is pretty complicated and needs quite a lot of assumptions (guesses!)  - the lack of proper information can't help in any attempt to have a mature debate between the parties.

Even before the current financial problems in the developed world the expectation of retirement in your early 60's was being challenged - as per Ru's post if the western world really is starting a period of stagnation when compared to the up an coming economies of the developing world then striking over pensions really could start to look like fiddling while Rome burns.

The £6k number came from newsnight last night. For a 35 year old female school teacher. Her current pension is around £18,000 / yr. On the telly, they said this would go down to £12K/yr. Based on the teachers pension calculator, and the government's excel spreadsheet this seems about right, although I had to make assumptions about salary growth etc. It will be in this ballpark figure.

I don't know why you compare to this straw man of retiring at 60 on the same pensions our parents had. No-one our age currently gets that, or is lobbying for it.

If we leave things as they are, public sector workers will retire at the state pension age, which for someone in their mid-30s is likely to rise to around 70 (it will already be 68). On average, they'll receive a pension of £7k/yr. If you are seriously proposing a system where people work longer than that, or live off smaller pensions than that I think you are being unreasonable.

Of course if the euro collapses, growth doesn't return etc then we'll all be eating decaying corpses instead. But I re-iterate the current proposal is assuming that won't happen.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#87 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:37:18 am
So, basically what this boils down to is:

Tories want to get a chunk of cash for deficit reduction.

They have 2 options:

1) the fair way - tax high earners more and force big companies to actually pay the corporate tax they are meant to. This protects lower earners and is spread across the nation (public/private)

2)basically tax public sector workers via the backdoor by increasing contributions etc.

The problem with 1, is that it will piss off all the influential tory-voting and tory sympathising fat cats, so it's just not going to happen.

Whereas 2, well, general there's a lot of public resentment (albeit, probably unfounded) about public sector pensions, so they might as well hammer that...battle through a few strikes....get what they want and keep their rich chums happy?

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#88 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:43:57 am
The answer to the first part is a yes. Public sector pensions don't work like other schemes. In essence, the government takes money in, and commits to pay the benefits defined. Based on reforms already implemented to public sector pensions, the burden on the public purse is already falling, and is set to stabilise at a lower level. So it is clearly "affordable" in that sense, even in the light of rising life expectancy. This is because the public sector has already made commitments to lose some of their pension benefits, and to shoulder the burden of future cost increases themselves. The tory proposals to increase contributions are *on top* of this, and is basically a cash-grab.

So there's no pot, but the state's cash commitment to public sector pensions is falling and this fall equals, outweighs or already factors in future increases in life expectancy? Where's this from, as it doesn't seem to be what the government is saying (not that that means much)?

You're right in saying that the current proposal doesn't factor in the collapse of the euro or many other factors, but the likelyhood of these events happening is so real, and the chances of these current proposals being completely dwarfed by other cuts in the next year is so high, that burning the public support bridges now may seem a little counterproductive later on.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#89 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:48:32 am
Do you ever wish you hadn't bothered?   ;)

My work here is done.  :P

Stubbs

#90 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:49:42 am
We're all going to be fucked aren't we; anyone got any knowledge about moving to Canada?  :'(

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#91 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 11:50:15 am
I'd have come back with a witty rejoinder, but I'm on strike.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#92 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 12:05:05 pm
Glad we've got some informed, rigorous debate anyway. The first two pages had me afraid UKB had lost it.

IanP

• forum abuser
#93 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 12:18:50 pm
The £6k number came from newsnight last night. For a 35 year old female school teacher. Her current pension is around £18,000 / yr. On the telly, they said this would go down to £12K/yr. Based on the teachers pension calculator, and the government's excel spreadsheet this seems about right, although I had to make assumptions about salary growth etc. It will be in this ballpark figure.

I don't know why you compare to this straw man of retiring at 60 on the same pensions our parents had. No-one our age currently gets that, or is lobbying for it.

If we leave things as they are, public sector workers will retire at the state pension age, which for someone in their mid-30s is likely to rise to around 70 (it will already be 68). On average, they'll receive a pension of £7k/yr. If you are seriously proposing a system where people work longer than that, or live off smaller pensions than that I think you are being unreasonable.

I said early 60's (not 60) and we're talking about moving to later 60's (not 70)  so I don't think we're talking straw man arguments.

Anyway on the nominal 35 year old teacher, I've just entered the following details into the pension estimator (http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/calculator/calculator.html ), all figures in todays money.

- Current salary £32,000
- End salary £58,000 (assuming 2% growth above inflation)
- Started as teacher at age 25 so 10 years service in old scheme.

This gives retirement at age 66, retirement income of £30,400, lump sump £28.800, so in excess of 50% of final salary.  So I'm still not sure where this 33% drop in salary comes from unless I'm looking up the wrong calculators.

Where does the average pension of public sectors works of 7k come from - is this for people who've worked full time in the public sector for 30+ years?  If not it's a bit of a meaningless figure.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#94 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 01:01:47 pm
Bit of a tangent this, but personally I think this thing about ever rising life expectancies is drivel. The idea that we’re all going to live to 100 is new-minted poo. I’d say it’s more likely that we’ll hit peak life expectancy soon and will then see it decline somewhat. Working longer, for less money followed by retirement on a pittance, coupled with a shrinking NHS doesn’t strike me as an ideal recipe for longevity. It may well be that we’ll look back and see that the pensioners of today get a better deal than any before or since and thus live longer. Plus I think most of the low hanging fruit on health gains have been had (reduced numbers smoking, antibiotic efficacy, surgical innovations etc). Or the euro will crash and we’ll all get eaten by Littlefairs next week, problem solved.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#95 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 01:15:43 pm
Bit of a tangent this, but personally I think this thing about ever rising life expectancies is drivel. The idea that we’re all going to live to 100 is new-minted poo. I’d say it’s more likely that we’ll hit peak life expectancy soon and will then see it decline somewhat. Working longer, for less money followed by retirement on a pittance, coupled with a shrinking NHS doesn’t strike me as an ideal recipe for longevity. It may well be that we’ll look back and see that the pensioners of today get a better deal than any before or since and thus live longer. Plus I think most of the low hanging fruit on health gains have been had (reduced numbers smoking, antibiotic efficacy, surgical innovations etc). Or the euro will crash and we’ll all get eaten by Littlefairs next week, problem solved.

The whole financial crisis might be part of a massive feedback loop that both limits life expectancy and curbs environmental damage. I'm going to keep an emergency biscuit in my pocket next time I meet up with Stu though.

webbo

• forum hero
#96 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 01:30:04 pm
Within the current NHS pension scheme you can go for larger monthly payments and smaller lump sum or large lump sum and smaller monthly payments.
If you go for the larger monthly payments you need to live to at least your early 70s to get the benefit of this deal.However most of my male colleagues who have or are about retire do not take this option because it seems  few survive till 70. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#97 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 01:33:30 pm
Its not that we're all going to live to 100, nor that they will continue to rise, but that like it or not life expectancy has increased from the time when pensions were designed/planned as this excerpt by Hans Rosling nicely demonstrates.....

There is of course still variation within each countries as is demonstrated in the video for regions in China, and in most western societies the greatest disparity in life expectancies shows correlation with 'inequaility' (and in countries with large inequality the overall life expectancy for those at the bottom and top of the scale, so poor and rich, is reduced compared to countries where the differences in inequality are less, for more on this see The Spirit Level : Why Equality is Better for Everyone but its heavily reliant on categorisation of continuous variables, possible cherry picking of data, and only quantifies correlation, which doesn't equate to causation, balanced nicely by counter arguments in The Spirit Level Delusion: Fact-checking the Left's New Theory of Everything:off:

IanP

• forum abuser
#98 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 01:52:48 pm
Its not that we're all going to live to 100, nor that they will continue to rise, but that like it or not life expectancy has increased from the time when pensions were designed/planned as this excerpt by Hans Rosling nicely demonstrates.....

Excellent program.   For those with a geeky interest in these sort of things Radio 4's statistics in the news strand More or Less is often interesting.  Podcasts are available here http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moreorless#playepisode10 including one on public sector pay  :-\.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#99 Re: Public Sector Workers Strike Poll
December 01, 2011, 01:55:03 pm
Slack----line - Yes I know that, but it doesn't stop politicians and the media routinely trotting out the notion that life expectancy will just keep going up and up. e.g. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1977733.stm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal