UKBouldering.com

"What do you care more about, climbing or...." (Read 10217 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
"What do you care more about, climbing or...."
November 11, 2011, 02:50:31 pm
me?

Says the now ex-girlfriend. Fuck. Oh well, another one bites the dust. I need to get off the habit of going for pretty, indoors types...

Unfortunately I seem to be a magnet to them, and a fantastic repellent to interesting outdoorsey types...

metal arms

• menacing presence
Bad luck dude.

For future reference it's OK to lie to women though...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Quote from: Claire Rayner's corpse
Sorry I can't help darling. I'm dead.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Ce cera cera Ali.

What you need is a good weekend of heavy drinking in Edinburgh to drown your sorrows.

Our train arrives at just before 9, I'll buy you a pint, and we can discuss in detail.

I need to get off the habit of going for pretty, indoors types...

Unfortunately I seem to be a magnet to them, and a fantastic repellent to interesting outdoorsey types...

Maybe you have too high personal grooming standards?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Just make sure you don't fall into the trap of going for pretty, mental types

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos

Just make sure you don't fall into the trap of going for pretty, mental types

Been there, done that - that's the Ex2. Incidentally, she got in touch recently - AVOID AVOID!

Jasper, how the hell did you manage to find a photo of her, you weirdo stalker  ;)

Aye Chris, pre-emptive apologies for excessive drunkenness, bad chat and chasing skirt...oh wait a minute...it's a stag do!

andy popp

• forum hero

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
it's always nice to see the quote function being misused

andy popp

• forum hero
it's always nice to see the quote function being misused

Bugger.

andy popp

• forum hero
I probably shouldn't identify them but I knew an extremely well known professional climber who, at the height of his career, was given the 'me or climbing' ultimatum. D'oh!

I on the other hand was given the 'its me or Stoke' ultimatum. That one was a no-brainer.

SA Chris

• forum hero
As long as it wasn't "It's either me or Stokes".

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
had this argument with an ex gf who wasnt outdoorsy,my response was that i had been climbing for 12 years and only with her for 2 years and i operated a last in first out policy  :shrug: funny now that on her facebook likes she lists camping and walking which she didnt seem to give a toss about when i was with her  :-\
i do try and maintain some form of balance though as in i will sacrifice the odd climbing session here and there to keep them happy but not at the total expense of the sport i love,or a trainign cycle  :punk:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
did all girlfriends agree to ask the question in this very weekend all over the world?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Ah...
I know this song!
Only cost me a wife and a really enjoyable divorce/removal of any and all acrued assets.
Still, found the right one in the end.

Then,
We had kids...

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Sorry to hear that, but if she isn't willing to take you as you are and accept the things that are important to you in your life then she probably wasn't worth keeping around anyway.

I'm sure you won't struggle to find a suitable replacement very soon.   :-*

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Looking at the Karma Stats my guess is he got lucky this weekend.. :devil-smiley:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
celebrating that sort of behaviour is both juvenile and offensive

nice one

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Lucky git....

ianv

• forum abuser
I probably shouldn't identify them but I knew an extremely well known professional climber who, at the height of his career, was given the 'me or climbing' ultimatum. D'oh!

If that person is who I think you are referring to  :bow:, I bet the hardest part of the decision was where to buy the one way ticket back to deutschland.

ducko

• junky
These females and there crazy ways! I had this chat with the ex my reply was climbing doesn't moan at me nor does it cost me lots of money, didn't go down to well,
I now have a pretty female who let's me do what I want when I want, happy days

SA Chris

• forum hero
A pretty female what?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
 8)

But...

The ex got back in touch, saying she didn't think we had fully discussed the situation...   :worms:

SA Chris

• forum hero
As I sad before, it's OK though, you were "on a break"

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
8)

But...

The ex got back in touch, saying she didn't think we had fully discussed the situation...   :worms:

That sounds...

Dangerous!!!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
To me, that sounds very much like she thought you'd cave under an ultimatum and agree to climb less and do more of what she thinks you should be doing instead, now she realises you're serious about your climbing and not going to bow down to threats she's maybe decided she was a bit hasty with her 'me or climbing' effort.

Also, the 'we were on a break' line never goes down well, with either sex, trust me.  ;)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
To me, that sounds very much like she thought you'd cave under an ultimatum and agree to climb less and do more of what she thinks you should be doing instead, now she realises you're serious about your climbing and not going to bow down to threats she's maybe decided she was a bit hasty with her 'me or climbing' effort.

Also, the 'we were on a break' line never goes down well, with either sex, trust me.  ;)

It wasn't quite so much of an ultimatum - "Me or climbing" more of a - "where's this going" idea.  To be honest, I'm thinking this weekend has made it pretty clear that this thing has run its course. But time will tell...

As for the "we were on a break" thing - she didn't ask and I'm not going to mention it, no matter what happens!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero

.........Or, does it mean she's thought of a new way to get what she wants?? :worms:

Nah.. It's always worth hanging on to a good partner, even if you do fight from time to time.

Life could be worse... :devangel:

SA Chris

• forum hero

she didn't ask and I'm not going to mention it, no matter what happens!

What happens in Edinburgh.......

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos

Nah.. It's always worth hanging on to a good partner, even if you do fight from time to time.

See, this is where it's tricky. We've only really had one or 2 arguments in 1.5 years. Nothing about our relaitonship ever gets heated, which has its plus points.

What our issue is is figuring out what we want to do off a weekend. Before, when I was working offshore a lot it wasn't such an issue as I was quite happy to be chilling out, catching a movie, wandering around town etc...  but now that we're seeing each other more often (as I've changed jobs) we kinda struggle to find things that interest us both. In fact, it's got so bad that I dread the weekends I go to Perth (I live in Glasgow, she lives an hour away in Perth, at her parents...)

She started off seeming to be keen to go skiing (she had done it once of twice before we met, but I don't see it becoming a passion for her) and hallwalking (or just walking) but now she hates wearing "outdoors" clothes and suddenly "gets a headache" when we about to leave the car...

This is all sounding a bit negative, she is actually a lovely girl, buuuuut, we just have different interests. I knew this when we met and I didn't try and force anything on her, but I did introduce her to lots of things. Most of which she seemed keen on, but has slowly become less keen!

I think the biggest issue is the fact that to really move on in our relationship, we'd have to live together. There's no jobs in Perth, so it'd either be Glasgow, or both go somewhere. I think we've both relaised this, and realised that while a lot of the time we spend together is quite good, it's not quite good enough to take that next step...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

What our issue is is figuring out what we want to do of a weekend.

Just have kids then you wont have any time to do anything anyway. Alternatively, show her this thread, then you wont have any decision to make.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just have kids then you wont have any time to do anything anyway.

And Fultonius then goes climbing....... :-\

galpinos

• forum hero
As for the "we were on a break" thing - she didn't ask and I'm not going to mention it, no matter what happens!

Thankfully, you didn't discuss it with a load of randoms off the internet.........

chillax

• forum abuser
show her this thread, then you wont have any decision to make.

No joke there. Something along those lines happened to me recently. You never know who reads this stuff....

The only advice I can give is to have a good hard look at yourself and try to figure out what you really want. Good luck!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not quite the current situation but...

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I think the biggest issue is the fact that to really move on in our relationship, we'd have to live together... I think we've both realised this, and realised that while a lot of the time we spend together is quite good, it's not quite good enough to take that next step...
That sounds like the crux of it really.  I suppose it depends what you want; if you want to have fun weekends with someone you get on well with and like a lot then that's great, but if you're looking for a real serious relationship, living together, commitment or marriage and kids at some point or any of that stuff really then is there much point carrying on if you can't see it heading there eventually?  or you're not keen enough to push for it?

I also wonder if the fact you found it so easy to have a bit of fun in Edinburgh says anything about how you really feel about it all?  If you were really massively gutted about the relationship being over would you have been able to do that so easily?

The not having hobbies or interests in common isn't that big a deal, I don't think, provided you are both cool with it, there's no reason why you can't do your stuff and she can do hers and then you both make time to also do stuff together, you have to both be ok with it though, that's the only way it'll work, if one of you wants to spend all your time together while the other wants time alone to do their own thing then it's probably going to build up and become an issue.

Right, I'm shutting up now, I have forgotten where I am and gone all agony aunt with my advice.  :lol:

ducko

• junky
your clearly not happy, she sounds pretty boring, move on find someone who suites you better, plenty more fish n all that

north_country_boy

• junky
Are you sure this whole situation isn't because of the 'other woman' who has recently entered your life?........ ;)

(when I say woman, I may be referring to a bouldering wall)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:13:58 pm by north_country_boy »

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
Based on a sample size of 2*, messy breakups with girls who hate climbing leads to a) vastly more free time and b) an almost instant jump in grade....  :devangel:

*same girl both times - I don't learn.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I can see how the prospect of hallwalking might cause an impromptu headache.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Simples this one.

Flip mode a la the situation: "It's me or the shopping".

Other tactics I've deployed:

"The NHS recommends three sessions of exercise a week. I.e. Tues night, Thurs night and Sunday day. So unless you want me to contravene official public health advisory protocol, I think you're onto something of a loser there lovie."

"Do you want a milky adonis or a hairy miserable twat with tits? You choose."

"Topshop are doing a demo down the wall tonight if you fancy it?" (Went nowhere that one).

"Climbing please Bob"

More reasonably," I'll carry your bags around town and you give me a spot?"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal