UKBouldering.com

Preventative Steps Order (PSO) ? (Read 3868 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Preventative Steps Order (PSO) ?
November 23, 2011, 09:53:08 pm
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of these?

I have got wind that my ex is planning to change our little girls school, something I am adverse to and haven't been discussed about. She is nearly 5, and although she hasn't been at the school a great deal of time, I feel moving her will be detrimental to her education and generally disrupt her life even more than it all ready is. I think my ex is doing this for her convenience and not giving thought to our little girl at all. I know I have parental responsibility for her as does my ex, this means we have a fair and equal say in her life and education etc. As it stands, I have not even been asked about my thoughts on the matter, and it was my wee girl herself who told me she had been to look at a new school.

I have been speaking to a family member who experienced a similar situation, and got on of these PSO in place to be issued, if it was needed. I was wondering if any of the UKB massive had any info they could share?

Thanks in advance, as always.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Preventative Steps Order (PSO) ?
November 23, 2011, 10:16:38 pm
I'm sorry I can't help with your question and the situation you describe must be difficult to negotiate at best. Good luck!

My only suggestion is to be well informed about the schools. There's a lot of information out there, and you can visit to form your own opinion. They get paid per child after all. One easy way to look at schools in an area is to use Rightmove.co.uk  using its mapsearch feature . Pick any house in the area and click details, including map and schools which will be an available option- there are also links to Ofsted when you click on the school (take with a pinch of salt). A random example   here .  Click 'map and schools' tab, tick 'primary' box - it'll show what's in the area.

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#2 Re: Preventative Steps Order (PSO) ?
November 24, 2011, 12:42:15 am
I have a bit of experience of these from a former career. There are a very large number of factors that a court would consider here - a lot more detail about your case would be needed even to decide if a PSO is a possibility, let alone to weigh up the chances of success. The legal, social and personal specifics will all be relevant.

The best real advice that I can give you is to
a) talk to the relevant social worker if one is involved (no offence or weirdness intended there - lots of reasons why a social worker might be involved that are nothing to do with your conduct as a parent).
b) get a solicitor that has relevant experience.

There are just too many variables here. Depending on all of the events to date, the order could be a helpful formality or a stressful trauma for you and for your family.

Someone who is more up to date with the system, particularly as a parent, may be along with some more helpful 'do/don't' type advice based on their experience.

Good luck.

ianv

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Preventative Steps Order (PSO) ?
November 24, 2011, 09:20:10 am
I dont know anything about PSO s but I have been through something similar with my son and talked to the lawyers about it. Its a bit different in my case as he now lives in France but my advice would be :

The move is unlikely to have any impact on the child's education  (unless it is a shit school). From my experience.
Unless the new school is a proper hellhole, changing schools will not be regarded as a big deal (especially at that age).
Going all legal for something like that will likely cause all types of problems for access etc. You need at least a modicum of goodwill or things become very difficult. And it is very expensive.
Its shit that it wasn't discussed but do not let being upset about that colour your judgement as to what to do.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:45:27 am by ianv »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: Preventative Steps Order (PSO) ?
November 24, 2011, 10:21:41 am
what ianv said

plus, if moving to a different school makes the other parent's life easier, then their home environment is likely to be happier

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal