UKBouldering.com

DIY: repairing metal peppermill (Read 1892 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
DIY: repairing metal peppermill
October 29, 2011, 08:00:55 am
Sort of food & drink related I suppose. Can the collected wisdom & experience of ukb help me non-toxic metal fastening?

I have a brass peppermill that I'm very fond of, which has a base consisting of two halves soldered together. Rather lightly soldered together, as we learned when Frau M dropped it on the floor last week.

How to stick it back together? I'd like to solder it again, but I don't have access to facilities for silver soldering with a torch (and haven't practiced silver soldering with a torch since school metalwork classes a long, long time ago so I'd make a mess of it anyway). I fear an electric soldering iron would either not be hot enough for a heavy brass object and not work, or work and spread lead-based solder everywhere that would kill us.

So I'm reluctantly thinking about gluing. Non-toxic glues that work well with metal?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: DIY: repairing metal peppermill
October 29, 2011, 09:39:52 am
electric soldering iron definately not hot enough. I wouldn't use glue either. get some silver solder and a torch and do a proper job or get it to a pro or throw it away

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal