UKBouldering.com

If you don't own this already..... (Read 10375 times)

dave

If you don't own this already.....
December 09, 2002, 10:31:55 am
....then buy it now, 5 bar, proper bargain:

Stonelove

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#1 If you don't own this already.....
December 09, 2002, 07:44:54 pm
yawn...

dave

#2 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 08:57:38 am
Are you trying to turn this into cocktalk or something? :cry:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 09:30:18 am
But what about the ethics Dave?? And I'm going to put a bolt in gritstone ha ha ha, I'm so funny!

What's your favourite biscuit by the way, and do you have any recipes for ginger beer? yah!

dave

#4 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 09:45:28 am
Ha, but i don't think so-and-so climber that i've never met has done so-and-so minor problem at a crag i've never been to cos i heard that his mates said he didn't do it on the trip that they were there but is says on his website blah blah blah....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 09:50:06 am
Ah yes, the unfolding Lincoln/Great White extravaganza - all sparked off by the thread on this very site it seems.

These things do seem to get quite out of hand in a hurry don't they....but then if you claim hard first ascents where there's iffy evidence then this is what can happen - look at the ridiculous Dunne/Partheon Shot saga.

dave

#6 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 10:25:47 am
Anyone else noticed its been a bit quiet here of late? I recon we should get some kind of meaningfull debate/discussion going, but like a proper climbing subject, not the kind of "whos the best guitarist" or "best way to fold bog-roll" cocktalk thing. Anyone got any ideas? I would suggest grades, but i think we're all sick of that now, i know i am.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 10:34:28 am
It's tricky coz a lot of people who are registered are registered from home, or can't really post from work due to big brother, or just pop in once a day.  

The other thing is, from watching other forums from their beginnings, a forum has to reach a threshold number of users before it really takes off and gets a lot of posts. I reckon at around 200 users things will kick off properly.

dave

#8 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 10:48:48 am
Probably doesn't help that about a third of members haven't posted at all, and i would guess another third have only posted once or twice....theres a lot of lurkers!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 11:13:14 am
Yeah - on any any forum there's always the hardcore few who post a lot, then there's those who mostly lurk, those who occasionally drop a comment in, and those who see the board, register and then forget about it.

If you look at CT, there's around 1200 (probably more by now) registered users, but it's only really a handful of them that regularly post. On Scoobynet (a subaru board) there's about 20,000 registered users and again, you see the same old people posting day in, day out.

Just need to keep this board alive and it'll grow. The easy way is to allow non-registered users to post, then there'd be much more traffic, but keeping it this way ensures the quality stays higher I reckon, and in the long run, you end up with a better community.

dave

#10 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 11:18:39 am
Yeah, letting unreg users post is like commiting forum-suicide - just look at cragx and all the shit that ruined it, and planetfear nearly went the same way. Keep tha kwaliti.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 11:20:07 am
I forgot to say - this board is going ok really, since it's only been up a few months. It has to be said that on some days, it gets many more posts than that other uk based climbing forum which has been going for ages  :)

AndyR

• forum hero
#12 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 01:38:39 pm
Quote from: "dave"
Ha, but i don't think so-and-so climber that i've never met has done so-and-so minor problem at a crag i've never been to cos i heard that his mates said he didn't do it on the trip that they were there but is says on his website blah blah blah....

I know what you mean, but for those of us that boulder regularly in glendo, The Fin is one of those last great problems - maybe 'he who we are not referring to' did do the problem, in which case - cool, it's a good problem.  However, imagine the hoo-haa if John-Pierre Hotshot came over to the peak and claimed a key first ascent of a long standing project and then it came out in the wash that he hadn't done it - there would be murder on the boards and in the mags. For those people that are interested, it's interesting!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 02:08:06 pm
I think dodgy FA claims should be questioned. The person concerned is crazy not to answer his critics in this case.

It may just be an error on his website, he may be trying it on in the hope that nobody notices, or he may have gone back and done the problem, in which case the photo on his site is still mis-labled as it wasn't a record of the first ascent.

Whatever the reason, if you put information in the public domain, you should be prepared to back it up. If I was his sponsors then I'd be quite concerned at these claims - he should set the record straight for the sake of his own reputation.

dave

#14 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 02:39:26 pm
Here's my two penneth, for what its worth.

Of course we should be wary of FA claims if there appears to be any discrepancies, but we also shouldn't blow things out of proportion. No disrespect to Adam but he ain't a figure of national importance, neither is the problem in question (no dis to locals, i'm not saying it aint a great problem but its not 8b+ is it). I don't think any sponsorship advantage/disadvantage will occur as a result of this problem claim, nor of the surrounding "uproar". I think the only reason this got loads of column inches on cocktalk is cos Adam posts quite a bit on there. I also agree he doesn't appear to be doing himself any favours by being conspicuous in his absense on CT but i can sympathise with him cos if I was in that situation i would find it difficult to be bothered to justify myself to an arbitary bunch of sniping smart-arsed psuedo-anonymous wankers operating in the semi-real world of CT.

For all we know it could just be a captioning oversight, not that its really any of my business anyway.....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 02:43:29 pm
Quote from: "dave"
arbitary bunch of sniping smart-arsed psuedo-anonymous wankers operating in the semi-real world of CT.

now that is funny  :D  Of course, we're different over here  :wink:

I get what you're saying, and no it's not the most important issue in the world to many of us, but I bet it is to the locals, and I bet it is if you're a young climber looking for sponsorship and you see someone who is sponsored who is telling porkies.

dave

#16 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 03:08:21 pm
The way I see it is there are 2 photos of this on his site,

and

One of them has a small caption of First Ascent. Obvsiouly they are both on the same day. It just struck me that the sub-caption of FA could actually just be refering to the main problem caption not the photo, i.e. "Here is a picture of XXX problem, which i did the FA of" as opposed to " here is me doing the FA of XXX problem". If it was such a genuine oversight/misinterpretation of the captioning then that would maybe explain why Adam doesn't wan to come and justify it, since to him maybe its a load of fuss about nothing, magnifying all the bad points of web forums that we all hate, and he doesn't want to dignify the whole sordid affair with an answer.

Shit i meant to avoid getting drawn into this whole thing......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 If you don't own this already.....
December 10, 2002, 03:15:39 pm
The place looks great, doesn't it?

I don't know but you'd think he'd spend 5 seconds explaining, or at least correcting his site. This whole thing started off by people asking A.L. whether he did the FA or not, which is fair enough - the mislabled photo isn't that much of a crime unless of course he didn't do the FA at all, in which case it is bit of a cheeky blag and he should change his website.

Anyway, for all we know, the poor bugger could be on holiday or something, and blissfully unaware of all this controversy.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#18 If you don't own this already.....
December 11, 2002, 12:24:26 am
It is amazing how quickly these things spiral out of control. I don't know Adam really ( we met briefly in the Pass earlier this year), but he strikes me (from his postings on CT) as a sound lad.
Equally, I don't really know the Irish lads, but I did spend an afternoon with them bouldering on the Ormes last week, and they struck me (again) as really sound lads. In fact I'm hoping to go over and meet up with them in the spring. (I did go this summer but it rained every day!)
I'm sure it is all just a misunderstanding, and to some extent I can see why Adam doesn't want to deal with the all the spray and bully of CT, but things are a little different over here.
All I'm saying is that maybe, UKB is a better place to explain yourself.
After all, this is a sophisticated joint; I wouldn't come here if it wasn't.

Cheers, Simon.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 If you don't own this already.....
December 11, 2002, 07:21:10 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
After all, this is a sophisticated joint; I wouldn't come here if it wasn't.

Says Simon, dressed out in a red smoking jacket, monocle in place and brandy snifter in hand  :wink:

I'm sure it'll sort itself out once the ruffled feathers have settled down...

AndyR

• forum hero
#20 If you don't own this already.....
December 11, 2002, 09:57:28 am
Quote from: "Bubba"

To be honest, I don't think they're that ruffled, but it would be nice to know the truth.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#21 If you don't own this already.....
December 11, 2002, 11:54:19 am
Quote from: "AndyR"

To be honest, I don't think they're that ruffled, but it would be nice to know the truth.

I think the thread is dead on CT, this might be for the best.
I have my own personal thoughts on the matter but I think it is best if I keep them to myself...

This board has potential - a vast improvement on boldering.com

Dave

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 If you don't own this already.....
December 11, 2002, 11:57:47 am
Quote from: "Glen Dale"
This board has potential - a vast improvement on boldering.com

I quite like boldering.com, at times it can be hilarious, but the problem they have is that anything serious can get buried under a mountain of TARD and WURD.....but beware, there's a few of them registered over here.....

Tell yer mates about it as some day's I feel like I'm just on here on my own, sniff!

dave

#23 If you don't own this already.....
December 11, 2002, 12:06:14 pm
I quite like boldering.com, at times it can be hilarious,

qw

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#24 If you don't own this already.....
December 11, 2002, 12:14:05 pm
what? Is "qw" some secret code to the people at boldering.com??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal