UKBouldering.com

Green Traverse / Dope On A Slope - which is which?? (Read 3268 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
See topic title :? I've read that the Rockfax guide (and subsequently the BMC Stanage guide) got the names the wrong way round. Which makes sense to me i.e. Green Traverse refers to the original green (doh) traverse, and Dope On A Slope refers to the extension with dope moves on a (doh) slope.

So which is it, what's the definitive word??

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
You are correct - the Green Traverse was called the Green Traverse before anybody did the extension, and there's no way anyone in their right mind would call the short version Dope on a Slope coz it ain't on slopers.

dave

what further confuses matters is that the old rockfax update webpage said the guide was wrong but still said that DOAS was the short version. I just say "Short Green Traverse" and "Full Green traverse" although i concede that the short one is of higher quality, those scrapy moves along the waist level slopers are unbecoming of a 3* classic.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Must be at about knee level for you!

a dense loner

• forum hero
yes, tall people must miss out on so many nice moves  :wink:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
"the clue's in the name"
If that block wasn't there, the moves would be much better on DOAS altho there are far too many moves on there for it to be called a problem and should be re-classed as a route IMO :8) -stamina lacking, punter rant over-

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Cheers guys. Glad to have that confirmed.

Dave:

My bouldering guru and I tend to call it like that - "GT" vs "Full GT" etc. I agree about the quality of the original - an agreement which of course has nothing to do with not being able to do DOAS (more like, not being willing to try). It seems a strange addition to gain the obvious starting jug on GT....but does look like it would be good in reverse as a hard finish. Apart from the anus-scraping block of course.

dave

i would say the sloping bit would make a hard but truly awful finish to the reverse. The reverse is very good, the jugs make an obvioius finish - to then drag your arse leftwards to no obvious conclusion until the rock meets the floor don't appeal to me!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
I did it once (reverse the whole thing). Its quite shit. And contrived.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal