UKBouldering.com

Yet another elbow gripe.. (Read 11314 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Yet another elbow gripe..
October 11, 2011, 07:20:43 pm
I'm not convinced that squeezing balls does much good.  Get a 12kg kettlebell or dumbbell and start doing SOTS presses, Turkish Get Ups;  perhaps start doing O'head squats with a broom handle and do some wall squats - they really open up my thoracic spine.   Deadlifts will strengthen your posterior chain too.

The squeezing does feck all , it's the stretching opposed by the rubber bands that works it. What's sots?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#26 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
October 11, 2011, 07:29:51 pm

His squat isn't great though, a bit saggy.

I have one of those squeeze stretchy things and reckon it's ok for warming up on the way to the crag.  But, In my experience, to shift nerves, muscle and bone into the right place though you need to lift some iron or Bodyweight.  I'm away this week and weekend with work otherwise I would invite you over to try some of this stuff out.

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Yet another elbow gripe..
October 11, 2011, 07:33:01 pm
Cheers FD, I'm guessing you can do that kind of move with a regular dumbbell?

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Yet another elbow gripe..
October 11, 2011, 07:33:33 pm
Sorry I see you've answered me in the prev post :)

JamesR

• regular
#29 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
October 11, 2011, 09:32:26 pm
Might be brachiaradiallis (sp!) insertion trouble. Look up muscle of the forearm. I tore mine a few years back, was a bummer.

I had tingling and loss of power.

Depending on sensation or pain, start using much bigger holds now. Spend a long period climbing only open handed, you won't be able to do those crimper problems, but that doesn't matter in the long run. Work on driving your weight up using the power from your feet and hips, make this the focus of your training. This will take the relative stress away from from your arms and increase your overall body power. Do slow steady push ups, do not target number of reps, focus on quality of movement. Spend time doing slow and long stretches of the extensor musacles in your forearm. Do slow reps of external rotations with a small dumbell.

I am not a physio, but have spent a fortune with them!! These techniques worked for me. I still do these injury prevention exercises and I've not had a forearm injury for 3 years.

Good luck, go see a physio, I might be talking shite. You'll be fine.  :punk:

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 01, 2011, 12:45:45 pm
On a slight hijack, I've recently gotten some elbow niggles and am planning to start some sort of wrist curl/press up/tricep dip training regime.

Quick question - I know it of course varies person to person, but as a ball park figure what weight dumbells do people use for wrist curls?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#31 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 01, 2011, 01:17:16 pm
I use 6kg for the the wrist strengthening DB complex at 2:40 which includes wrist curls:

Will also incorporate reps of the movement in the below video to ward off golfers elbow (once I've got rid of it)

Eccentric exercise for golfers elbow

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 01, 2011, 01:40:01 pm
5kg.
I also reccomend the russian squat lift things Falling Down talked about... Mental exercise makes me feel like I've had a back massage afterwards.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#33 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 01, 2011, 03:55:03 pm
If it's the inside of the elbow (golfers) giving you grief then I found these work best

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/standing-palms-up-barbell-behind-the-back-wrist-curl

Start off with just the bar then gradually add some weight each time.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#34 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 03, 2011, 07:38:29 am
Yeah, it's the inside of the elbow (so golfers). Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll get me some weights and start pumping iron  :strongbench:

metal arms

• menacing presence
#35 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 03, 2011, 12:43:03 pm
I've recently developed golfers as well.  I am unable to do these curls as I have very limited movement in my wrists (hence user name).

Do those SOTS presses sort out your elbows, or is it that the elbow problems are symptomatic of other issues like core/back etc. 

Anyone got any other exercise recommendations to sort out golfers without using your wrists?

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 03, 2011, 01:53:40 pm
Try standing upright and rolling a dumbell out of your hand by slowly extending your fingers. Use the other arm to set the dumbell back into your hand. It's no use messing around with light weights in my experience and try to reach failure after 10 or so reps. Repeat.

metal arms

• menacing presence
#37 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 03, 2011, 02:49:33 pm
Holding my arms out in front of me?

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#38 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 03, 2011, 03:00:27 pm

metal arms

• menacing presence
#39 Re: Yet another elbow gripe..
November 03, 2011, 03:23:21 pm
Nice one.

I couldn't quite picture it but that articles helped.  I guess I just open my hand to 'nearly' dropping the weight, then assist it back closed.

Cheers Douglas

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal