UKBouldering.com

Elbow/bicep pain (Read 8513 times)

AJM

• obsessive maniac
Elbow/bicep pain
September 27, 2011, 06:17:38 pm
Hey all,

Have been struggling a bit with my elbow and/or bicep (more in a minute) of late, and whilst I've been looking back at some of the old injury threads it's hard to know from other people's descriptions whether anyone has had exactly the same issue or not - obviously me describing it doesn't necessarily help with the ambiguity but I figured it might be worth a shot.

I've had a few episodes of it over the past few years, but it's hanging round a bit longer this time. Basically, what happens is:

I pull too hard whilst not warmed up properly :wall:

As a result I can get one of two things happen:
1. There's a dull ache, which isn't really there whilst climbing but is there for a while afterwards. The pain isn't actually in the elbow, and doesn't seem to be triggered by other things. The pain is based in the bicep, but right in the bed of it, almost in a line along just by the bone.
2. More insistent pain in the main bicep area itself, although as it fades it seems to concentrate back towards the bed again as above. It's really hard to describe but almost feels as though the muscle isn't quite in sync, especially when straightening the arm when it almost feels like there a bit lagging behind in straightening. Really hard to explain but maybe sounds familiar to someone, who knows. A friend reckoned that this was basically bits of the muscle staying contracted when they shouldn't do, and had some success (in the short term pain not the long term symptoms) in vigorous application of thumbs to the muscle, same sort of idea as removing muscle knots in your back, but I don't know that that is based on any actual training/knowledge. Seems to be particularly be triggered by deep locks or undercut moves. Once it's started it continues until I stop climbing, although it hapens fairly rarely as I said above so it's hard to know exactly what sort of lock or undercut motion triggers the initial thing.

So yeah, anyone had anything similar? In the past gentle warming up and being careful for a while has caused it to go away, but it seems to be more persistent this time and the joint itself has started feeling a bit odd occasionally too which is bad in terms of a new symptom. Apart from that, the reason I mention the elbow is that I'm sure I read something either online or in a magazine about a type of elbow issue with these symptoms, but without some more specific info like a medical name google is a bit generic in it's results.....

Cheers,

Andy

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 27, 2011, 08:05:04 pm
Re the knots, suppose this may be some sort of cramping in biceps but really don't know, and since it's clearly secondary to your main problem I'd leave it to someone more knowledgeable to actually examine your arm. like a physio, for example.

Are you sure the knotting is in your biceps? The main symptom you describe is a ringer for brachialis tendonosis, so I'd expect your discomfort to come from there particularly as locks implicate that rather than biceps.

If you want my advice, reduce your intensity - a lot - and do eccentric hammer curls daily, 3 x 12reps.
This is what Dave McLeod has to say on the issue.

if you want a proper diagnosis/protocol, go see a physio.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 27, 2011, 09:08:54 pm
Re the knots, suppose this may be some sort of cramping in biceps but really don't know, and since it's clearly secondary to your main problem I'd leave it to someone more knowledgeable to actually examine your arm. like a physio, for example.

You mean the second symptom with the knots I guess? It's the only one that actually hurts rather than is uncomfortable, so I'd thought of that as the main problem since its the only one that stops me from climbing...

Are you sure the knotting is in your biceps? The main symptom you describe is a ringer for brachialis tendonosis, so I'd expect your discomfort to come from there particularly as locks implicate that rather than biceps.

If you want my advice, reduce your intensity - a lot - and do eccentric hammer curls daily, 3 x 12reps.
This is what Dave McLeod has to say on the issue.

if you want a proper diagnosis/protocol, go see a physio.

It's all in the biceps, yes. The only time it's ever been anywhere else has been on occasions today when I've felt something slightly odd in the elbow itself. Would it be in the elbow that youd have expected it?

Physio definitely on the cards if it doesn't go away soon. It flared up on the 10th, grumbled a bit and then went away, then came back following an episode of the pain (symptom 2) on Saturday.

This is going to be a serious newbie question, but what do you do for an eccentric hammer curl? I get a normal hammer curl, and I get the idea of eccentrics being the motion that lengthens the muscle, but I'm struggling to see how you combine them - is it just the lowering part of the curl you do or something...? Major novice with weights, my laziness with antagonist exercises coming to bite I guess  >:(

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 27, 2011, 09:45:28 pm
1. There's a dull ache, which isn't really there whilst climbing but is there for a while afterwards. The pain isn't actually in the elbow, and doesn't seem to be triggered by other things.
Sounds like tendonosis. I'd imagine that's your primary problem, but I'm not a physio, and I can't see your arm.

The pain is based in the bicep, but right in the bed of it, almost in a line along just by the bone.
Sounds like brachialis to me. Do you know where it runs? The insertion is under the biceps.

Concentric = muscle shortens. eccentric = muscle lengthens. So in a word, lowering exercise. Use the other arm/both to lift the weight, lower slowly on one only. shouldn't be agony, should feel a bitb tired at end of set. i've got brachialis tendonosis, and use 9kg dumbells since august. I think it'll be a month or two more of the regime but i can climb at least, though not too hard.

ps When it hurts, try holding your arm elbow crooked at 90* palm up. Try turning your palm in and over to face down with someone resisting by holding your palm as it was. if that hurts, probably biceps - it rotates the forearm Brachialis is the only true flexor of the forearm.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:52:36 pm by mrjonathanr »

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 27, 2011, 10:53:57 pm
Do you know where it runs? The insertion is under the biceps.
From some googling of actual diagrams showing it, I think the quick answer is "not as well as I thought" - some of the diagrams definitely show it in the sort of area I'm getting the ache. :oops:

Thanks very much for the explanations of the rest too - lots clearer. Feel at least slightly more informed and like I've got some exercises I can get started with now, although I'll probably be investigating physio too I reckon...

Andy

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 28, 2011, 09:40:02 am
If it is brachialis the way I cleared mine up was to freeze water in yoghurt pots and press the ice under the bicep into the source of the soreness for a minute or so before bedtime. No harm, expense or much time spent trying that.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 28, 2011, 09:43:03 am
To me this sounds like brachialis tendonitis as stated above. I was diagnosed with this over a year ago. I think you're Bristol based, right? I'd definitely recommend Nina Leonfellner as a climber's physio. She's sorted loads of injuries out for me. I'm fine now. For me it seems for me the problem stemmed from a weakness in the shoulder. I also did lots of eccentric curls (for me I was going all the way past hammer to pronated (palm out) and curling like that, using the other arm to help lift it back up, also found I had to use quite heavy weights). She also suggested system type workouts on undercuts to perfect form and help strengthen other muscles too. You need to stretch the muscle, for me the best way is like this http://www.exrx.net/StretchImages/Biceps/Doorway.jpg but with palm facing up. I'd see Nina though to diagnose it properly.

Hope that helps.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 28, 2011, 12:10:22 pm
I'm in Cheltenham, so definitely near enough Bristol to follow up on the recommendation.

Simon - cheers for the tip, I'll try ice in with everything else...

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#8 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 28, 2011, 01:05:33 pm
I've been plagued with this for about 18 month now. It's not stopping me from climbing but is preventing me from climbing at my best.
I'm doing all the shoulder stability stuff with a resistance band (posted elsewhere) and I've just started doing eccentric wrist curls but I think it's too early to tell if it's going to work.

Twiglett

• regular
    • Vid's
#9 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 28, 2011, 09:11:42 pm
The old eccentric wrist curls sorted my elbows out when they were bust a few years ago. Starting to feel them flare up again since i've started back climbing so i'll be following the advice on that one.

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#10 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 29, 2011, 12:05:18 pm
Are the eccentric wrist curls with the palm up or palm down for this type of complaint? I know it makes a difference for pain on the outside or inside of the elbow but I'm a bit unsure as to when the pain is the middle i.e. the bicep.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 29, 2011, 12:28:31 pm
Not wrist curls but bicep curls! And either bicep curls if it's your bicep or hammer curls or palm out curls if it's your brachialis. They feel similar so perhaps best to do hammer curls...

keefe

#12 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 29, 2011, 07:57:23 pm
It sounds quite similar to something I suffered with for quite a long time (mid 80s up to a few years ago).
I would get quite severe pains which seemed to be coming from the base of the bicep - i.e. inside of my elbow joint. It would feel as if I had pulled something quite badly - so I assumed bicep. When particularly bad, I would have no lateral stability in my arm - i.e. couldn't hold out a cup of tea. The worst moves for it were powerful slappy side-holds; Malham was really good for it. It would prevent me from climbing. I saw a number of physios over some years - I received some massage, some IR treatment, some ultrasound & I took to wearing a neaprene support just above my elbow - this at least allowed me to climb.  I finally saw a physio who said - "not tendons, not muscular, it's posture, imbalance & tighness in the back and shoulders". She presribed a number of stretches (neural stretches) - aimed at the back and shoulders. Touching wood frantically - I haven't looked back. I've also put a lot of antagonist exercises into my routines (actually not all that much really, but compared to none at all - it's quite a lot). I'ld strongly recommend seeing a sports-based physio - they can prescribe something aimed directly at whatever you're suffering.

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#13 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 29, 2011, 08:29:44 pm
Can you tell us what those stretches were keefe?  :bounce:

keefe

#14 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 29, 2011, 10:56:58 pm
First - the health warning - this is what worked for me. The best thing I did was find a good sports physio.

This was all preceded by a few weeks of Scapular Stabiliser exercises & "Flat Back Lat" exercises.
According to my instructions - they were all Thoracic Spine Stretches - (I'll see if I can upload / find pictures later):
a "Clown Stretch" - sitting on the floor, both legs forwards, you cross hands & grab your ankles, then pull with your back - it stretches the shoulders across your upper back.
a "Hairy Arm Up Stretch" (don't you love it) - sitting on the floor, both legs forwards don't cross hands, reach under your legs & grab your ankles, pull with your back again - it stretches further out on the upper back/below the shoulder.
Thoracic Side Muscle stretching - sitting on the floor with one leg forwards - reach across with the opposite hand & grab your ankle, pull with your back - it feels a bit like trying to pull your shoulder out of its joint - but maybe that's pulling too hard. Swap sides.

keefe

#15 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
September 30, 2011, 10:15:17 pm
As promised:

Clown Stretch:

Hairy Arm Up Stretch - don't you love these names:

Thoracic Side Muscle:

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#16 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
October 01, 2011, 11:03:23 am
Thats's great. Definately gonna give these a go!  :)

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
October 01, 2011, 08:17:03 pm
Soz, didn't read ll the posts. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, I don't believe in Brachialis tendonitis. Have a look at an old thread on Shoulder Instability (could be called "Antagonistic basics"). Sounds like classic impingement of it doesn't really matter what, due to shoulder instability. I may well be wrong, I'm sure I often am, but the number of climbers that unsuccessfully cure their diagnosed tendonitis (i.e. it becomes recurrent/chronic) with what would seem to be the right approach, seems to support my hypothesis.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#18 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
October 01, 2011, 09:08:26 pm
Have a look at an old thread on Shoulder Instability (could be called "Antagonistic basics"). Sounds like classic impingement of it doesn't really matter what, due to shoulder instability. I may well be wrong, I'm sure I often am, but the number of climbers that unsuccessfully cure their diagnosed tendonitis (i.e. it becomes recurrent/chronic) with what would seem to be the right approach, seems to support my hypothesis.

The thread is here. Some great posts  :2thumbsup: mainly over my head reproduced below:

I'll write more on this when I have time, but the idea of agonist/antagonist muscle balance as key to correct biomecanics is outdated. What you have in the body is movement muscles and stabilising muscles (and some muscles that do a bit of both). What you need is alignment (posture, if you like) at ALL joints, and dynamic control of ALL joints (i.e. maintenance of alignment through movement).

Anyway, I have to start work now, but in the short term, forget the bench presses.

Right, here goes. I shall try and summarize what I alluded to earlier. I hope it comes out making some sense. I suppose what the question about 'antagonistics' can be translated to is 'how can I make sure all the training I do doesn't lead to altered movement patterns, which are ultimately damaging and lead to injury?' (this I shall refer to as 'the question').

First off, here's something for you to try: stand up from a normal chair, but put your hands on your hamstrings as you do so. Now, standing from sitting, in the agonist/antagonist model would be a purely quadriceps job - your hamstrings would be relaxed. But you should feel that they are working. What used to be thought of as agonist/antagonist muscle groups (quads/hams, biceps/triceps, finger flexors/extensors) actually work synergistically to produce a smooth movement.

The reason this happens can be better illustrated with the wrist/fingers. The finger flexors also flex the wrist; the finger extensors also extend the wrist. So, if I want to flex my fingers, but not my wrist (which, incidently is a completely abnormal movement pattern that only occurs after neurological injury), my extensors have to work to keep my wrist stable.

On to the shoulder... The shoulder girdle is a crazy structure. We shall look at the scapula-thoracic junction first. The job of the scapula is to put the glenoid (the dish that the head of humerus sits in) in the right place for the arm action required, and to either stay in the right position, or to move in a controlled way, as the arm performs the task at hand. Unlike the hip/pelvis, which is very stable, the scapula is not (to allow for the range of movement that the arm needs), and is controlled by muscles. Did you know that the only bony attachment of your shoulder to your torso is via your clavicle (collar bone), which joins your scapula to your sternum. The scapula is basically a free floating docking point for the humerus, which is tethered to the thorax by a number of muscles - pec minor at the front, levator scapulae, trapezius (upper/middle/lower), and rhomboids at the back, as well as lat dorsi and serratus anterior (if i've missed any off, sorry, that's just off the top of my head). Now (in theory) these muscles all work together to move and stabilise the scapula.

...but, it often goes wrong, particularly in climbers. Here's why:

The position of the scapula is initially determined by the shape of the thorax. As we all know, many climbers have quite rounded backs, which causes the glenoid to face more anteriorly/inferiorally than it should, which makes it harder to lift the arm aove the head. Try it - really slump into a C shape and try and lift your arm above your head, now straighten up and see how much further it goes.

OK, so we need to be less rounded (kyphotic - it's called a thoracic kyphosis if you want to look it up).

The real problem for climbers lie in the fact that the arms aren't designed to do what we do, and the scapula stabilizers (serratus anterior, middle and lower traps) get pushed out of doing their job by the more 'active' scapula movement muscles - pec minor, upper traps, rhomboids, and to some extent lat dorsi. Problems here are that pec minor pulls the scapula forward and down, exacerbating the problems described above. The rhomboids do a good job of stabilising the scapula when the arm is below shoulder height, but as the arm raises, the scapula move away from the spine, rhomboids lengthen and can't stabilise the scapula anymore, and it 'wings' away from the chest wall - you'll see this all the time when someone catches a hold above and away from them and cuts loose - you can almost see under the scapula.

Both of these things are going to increase the likelihood of the main thing we are trying to prevent in the shoulder - impingement. This is basically an umberella term for the humerus moving about in the glenoid, and damaging structures around it - normally above or in front. The ikely structures to be damaged are - the labrum (ring of cartilage around the glenoid), the biceps tendon where it runs over the front of the shoulder, or the rotator cufftendon where it runs over the top of the humerus.

In a nutshell, you need to re-activate the stabilisers - serratus anterior and the middle and lower traps. But it's hard to do - these muscles don't contain stretch and tension receptors so it's difficult to isolate them. also the exercises won't make you ripped or impress girls (or boys). in fact, you look a bit of a nob doing them. and they're boring. You need somebody to show you how to do them - your brain has no idea where your scapula is or what it is up to.

Right, that's the scapula. it's an amazing piece of engineering, but destined to go wrong. Onto the gleno-humeral joint (glenoid is the 'socket' on the scapula, and you all know what the humerus is).

This bit should be easier, but again, the aim is to keep the humerus stable throughout movement/loading, so it doesn't move around. I know a lot of people do rotator cuff exercises with a theraband, which is great. However, the other thing we need to consider is the position of the humerus in the glenoid. Virtually all climbers' humerii sit too far forward in the glenoid, so some form of anterior impimngement is almost inevitable. You need to start to push the head of humerus backwards, but this is difficult to achieve without introducing instability. It is vital to keep the rotator cuff active.

Almost finally, the subscapularis is part of the rotator cuff that often gets forgotton about - it is attached to the underside of the scapula (i.e. between the chest wall and the scapula) and needs to be part of your rotator cuff routine. To be honest, i forget about too.

Finally, the other vthing that must always be addressed when trying to improve biomechanics are the ligaments. There are many ligamnets around the scapula, but these really limit end of range, so shouldn't get in the way of improvements in scapula stability. Around the shoulder joint (gleno-humeral) is a capsule, which will also cause anterior movement/positioning of the humeral head if it becomes tight. So you need to stretch this too.

Basically, you're not going to be able to diagnose your own alignment/bio-mechanical problems with google and a physiology textbook. I am often around and about and can give general advice on posture/stabilising exercises. If anyone has an actual problem (I'm making myself sound like the A team!), i'm more than happy to talk to them about it. I'll probaly advise you to get it seen to, but can give you some background info which may be helpful. If you are suffering with general, diffuse lateral arm/bicep pain, you probably have some degree of anterior impingement, and i'll definitely be happy to give you my opinion.

phew. hope that all makes sense(ish).

p.s. To go back to the original question about antagonists, a big problem is that exercising the antagonists (i.e. bench presses/shoulder presses etc) will actually exacerbate the movement/stability dysfunctons that we already have. They will further activate the movement muscles, and the stabilising muscles will become even less active.

In order to stabilise the shoulder, we do it, not by building muscles at the front, but by getting alignment right and using the muscles that are there to do the job they are supposed to do.

I find it helpful to think of the rotator cuff as guy-lines that pull the humerus into position as it moves.

Serpico's post raises 2 issues, both of which are interesting:

1) the issue of the antagonist lengthening during agonist contraction. Now, this is not something that I have read about, but i have observed it in myself, and would be interested to know what other people think: If you have any instability in your shoulder, all of the muscles that act across the joint will attempt to stabilise. One of the heads of triceps crosses behind the gleno-humeral joint - and as such I think that the triceps will be activated to try and stabilise the shoulder. Now, imagine you are trying to do 1-4-7 on a campus board (who? me? 1-4-7? never tried it...) you catch the 4th rung with your left. Shoulder stabilisers ned to be fully engaged, but they don't really work, causing a generalised contration of all the muscles around the shoulder. Including triceps. Now, to pull through to 7, you need to flex the elbow. but your triceps are busy stabilising the shoulder (you can't contract only part of the muscle), so there is increased tension in the triceps, and elbow flexion becomes nigh in impossble. Now, i know muscles can contract and lengthen at the same time (the quads do it everytime you sit down), but that almost always happens wth gravity, not against it.

2) The issue of the runners' hamstring injury is caused by the FACT that the hamstrings contract very quickly to pull the foot back through after the 'drive' phase of running gait. Interestingly, the hamstrings also contract (in walking and running) just before the foot is put back on the floor out in front of you to prevent repetitive hyperextension of the knee, and allow a much more controlled foot placement, (try walking with just 'flicking' your leg through. This is alluded to in Serpico's post about the biceps providing 'braking' at the end of the javelin throw. For Javelin throwers, the rotator cuff provides braking for the forward movement of the humerus too, and they get a lot of problems with this.

Ultimately, I don't think very much thought/research has ever gone into climbers' injuries. I sometimes feel I am mounting a one man crusade against the blanket diagnoses of golfers'/tennis elbow and the general view that tendonitis is the root of all evil. I am always interested in talking to people face to face about their injuries as I think there is a growing need for some climbing specific physiotherapy. I don't think i'm nearly experienced enough to dole out anything more than advice at present, but will happily do so provided I get feedback about how well/badly it went.

Three-nine, i'm glad your elbows are feeling better. That was a bit of a throwaway comment about bench presses. I think general conditioning through weights is a very important part of training for climbing. If only we ahd more time...

ps, you may have guessed i'm not at work this week. or next week. or the week after. YYFY!!!

Hi CP...
...the thorny subject of scapula stabilisation exercises. You're pretty spot on in what you say - basically that the position of the scapula is crucial in terms of shoulder movement/function. Have you seen (either as a model or some sort of 3D imagery) what a scapula looks like, and how the 'socket' for the head of humerus (the glenoid) is attached? The shoulder complex is an amazing piece of engineering - the scapula basically floats on the thorax - its only bony attachment is via the clavicle, which attaches into the top of the sternum. That set up allows a huge range of movement, but it is destined to result in instability a lot of the time.

One of the problems that results in winging scapula, is that the rhomboids, far from being lazy, are in fact over-active. However, they aren't actually designed to stabilise the scapula. As the scapula moves away from the spine, they lengthen, and aren't able to control the inner edge of the scapula.

Again, as you rightly say, you need to engage your middle/lower traps and serratus anterior. These muscles are not easy to isolate. Also your brain has very little awareness of where your scapulae are, so it is very difficult to monitor whether you are doing the exercises correctly. It is easy to just engage your more active muscles (rhomboids, pecs, lats), which is obviously not what you want to do.

You need to be taught these exercises, and have them monitored and progressed until you are defnitely doing them correctly and effectively.

Who diagnosed your winging scapula? did they show you the traps/serratus exercises?

I mentioned this in my original post, but it's important to get away from the idea of agonists and antagonists. Muscles work synergistically. They can be divided into 'movement' and 'postural' muscles - the postural muscles stabilising the joint while the movement muscles move the limb.

Problems arise because the movement muscles are easier to activate than postural muscles, and much easier to target. The problem with any strenuous exercises - such as wood chopping, manual labour, press-ups, shoulder shrugs - is that if your postural muscles don't really work well, your movement muscles will try to move and stabilise the joint simultaneously. This will be ineffective in stabilising the joint in the outer ranges of available movement, and (crucially) will provide large amounts of resistance to the movement you are trying to achieve.

Postural muscles (such as serratus anterior, middle/lower traps, sub-scapularis, infraspinatous & teres minor) need to (initially) be activated and learned as a very low level contraction - this will enable them to work without the movement muscles (pecs, lats, rhomboids, triceps) taking over.

The thing about exercising your postural muscles is that you aren't trying to get any movement. Correct activation will feel like you are creating tension, which is exactly what you are doing.

The fibres in movement muscles are arranged longitudinally - in series. Contraction produces large amounts of shortening of muscle length, and therefore large amounts of movement. Postural muscle fibres are arranged in parallel (sometimes in a kind of chevron arrangement I think) - contraction produces almost no movement, but creates a tension across the points of muscular insertion.

so, yes, it is possible to isolate these muscles, but initially 'activation' is only what what you are looking for; you need to be able to feel and voluntarily produce the contraction without other muscles working. But it is difficult, and without feedback from someone who knows what to look for, and can spot compensations from other muscles, i'd be very surprised if anyone can isolate these muscles effectively.

Another point to note is that because of the fibre arrangement, the postural muscles are very sensitive to position. Basically, if you don't have correct alignment at the joint you are trying to stabilise, the postural muscles aren't going to work. Therefore, activation of postural muscles must be preceeded by postural education and correct alignment. Again, you're going to need somebody who knows what they are talking about to guide you.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#19 Re: Elbow/bicep pain
October 02, 2011, 09:08:41 am
Soz, didn't read ll the posts. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, I don't believe in Brachialis tendonitis.

I suggested tendonosis as that mirrors my own experience. I don't see why it's incompatible with shoulder instability though. On the contrary it would seem logical that a poverty of alignment in the shoulder would transfer load elsewhere?

Be that as it may there are somme very interesting posts Shark has copied above. Thanks to both of you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal