UKBouldering.com

Moon Board Edges (Read 2532 times)

Jack.G

• regular
Moon Board Edges
September 08, 2011, 12:16:43 pm
The edges on the moon board are brutal, injury is not to far away.

I have heard of filing or sanding down the edges on a moon board, anyone done this? advice would be appreciated before I have at it.

Cheers
G.

Eddies

• forum hero
#1 Re: Moon Board Edges
September 08, 2011, 12:27:50 pm
If you struggle to match the crimpers... dont match them! Have one hand on another hold.

Real climbing is full of nasty crimps, best to get used to it.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Moon Board Edges
September 08, 2011, 01:16:30 pm
Hi Jack

Echoing what Eddies said skin injury is not the same as tendon injury. Using nasty holds will toughen the skin up.

Instead of sanding edges on board try experimenting with sandpapering fingers (including tips) which combined with using climbon cream or other moisturiser to help toughen skin up and file down callouses that can be knocked off.   

Jack.G

• regular
#3 Re: Moon Board Edges
September 09, 2011, 10:33:25 am
Thanks guys.

I was more concerned about the nature of the sharp lip of the edge, I can crimp them matched but due to the shape of the hold I cannot crimp fully and have to keep fingers flat. There is alot of stress on what feel like my bone between first and second joint.

I would rather drag, but not on the sharp edges, this is training after all not injuring.

I think i will modify it, just wondering if anyone had experince of reshaping plastic. I suppose if i cock it up i will have to bite the bullet and get a beastmaker.

Jack.G

• regular
#4 Re: Moon Board Edges
September 13, 2011, 05:00:44 pm
Carefully rounded off the sharpness of the large edges with a small file and the holds are far more comfortable. Surprised at how better they feel with little change to the depth of the hold.   :2thumbsup:

Unfortunaley the texture has gone and the filed area is glassy. Good training for limestone if nothing else   :-\ 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal