UKBouldering.com

Stoney Parking (Read 5354 times)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Stoney Parking
August 27, 2011, 07:03:04 pm
Had a bit of a run in with owner of the garage next to stoney crag today. I had parked up a bit lazily but legitimately in the old  quarry entrance opposite is forecourt. He came over and stated that Should not park there and that access to the quarry was needed. I was reasonable but did say the quarry had stopped working and the gate had been locked for well over a year and why was it a problem to him as it was not his property. He got a tad irate at this, I was calm and said I would move as it seemed to be making him angry, he stormed off at this point.
I moved the van back to the lay-by at this juncture. It's not his land and the quarry has been shut for 2 years according to the in laws. He does though own the bottom of garage buttress so avoid for the moment.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:13:31 pm by fatboySlimfast, Reason: Removing some details »

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Stoney Parking
August 27, 2011, 07:27:42 pm
He owns much more than the bottom of Garage, L.  He owns the rest of the crag up to Padme Wall, and was negotiating to buy Mortuary Steps too.

He is called Adrian, and is actually extremely climber-friendly.  He allowed the Stoney re-union event (including camping as a one-off) and was very supportive on the clean-up day, sharpening chainsaws etc. 

I think the reason he is protective about the old quarry entrance is that he uses it as overflow parking for his business.  You are probably technically correct that he has no greater right to park there than you do, but to be honest, it is only a few yards back to the big layby, so I would very strongly endorse your recommendation not to park in the quarry entrance.

Adrian is a very decent bloke, and much more accepting / encouraging of climbing than the vast majority of landowners.  He is trying to run a business in a very difficult economic climate, so let's cut him some slack and hope that previously cordial relations can be maintained.

Thanks

Neil

Adrian Heath

#2 Re: Stoney Parking
September 05, 2011, 11:16:50 pm
Dear fatboySlimfast,
Read with interest, just a pity you didn't post honestly. Your account is biased & inaccurate.
If you had taken a few moments to listen to me before replying in such a disagreeable tone, I would have explained my concern that if an articulated low-loader had arrived  (Saturday/Sunday being the most likely by recent experience), your vehicle would have been in the way.
Yes, the quarry is closed but for at least the last 12 months private restoration contractors have been decommissioning and landscaping the site. On a fairly regular basis they deliver and collect large excavators and quarry dump trucks etc. This gateway is the only vehicle access to the site.
Yes, we use the entrance as an overspill car park and if necessary the driveway beyond the locked gate.
(we have with the owners' consent a key for the gate and free use of the site.)
The other two cars in the entrance were indeed ours but they are only ever parked there when we are available at a moments notice to move them.
If the contractors require entry during our normal working hours, they telephone in advance & ask us to clear the entrance.
I have no claim on the land or parking and made no suggestion to the contrary. I am mindfull of the fact however that if parked vehicles ever cause a problem for the quarry owners they will more than likely take steps to prevent it.

Adrian Heath

#3 Re: Stoney Parking
September 05, 2011, 11:26:13 pm
Sorry, timed out before I finished the reply . . .

I have no issues whatsoever with climbing on the crag so no need to avoid Garage Buttress or any other part.
On the day in question there was ample free parking space on the lay-bye and really no need to park where you did, clearly you were not fully informed about the continued need for access to Goddard's quarry.
Chill out and enjoy your hobby.

Ps, thanks for the support Neil.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#4 Re: Stoney Parking
September 06, 2011, 07:47:21 am
Thanks for the update adrian, we try and tow the line here and avoid access conflicts before they start. We might not of got on when we met but the post on here was to try and avoid future conflict and protect access.
 This might be worth flagging on ukc as the majority of evening users are routers and prob don't post on here
Welcome to ukb, do you a discount sheme for regular cliff users? Mot while you climb?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Re: Stoney Parking
September 06, 2011, 09:09:16 am
Thanks for the info Adrian.

I have noticed the layby getting pretty full at times recently - if so remember that there are far more options at the far end of the crag. I've never seen the parking at Electric quarry full, but if it is you can get on the verge on the left just past the next quarry entrance, ie opposite the gate into Eyam Delph. Its only a five minute walk back from here, with the high path round from Electric quarry being stunning in mid-summer for flowers and butterflies. Which is nice. Plus you'll probably see some good looking routes you haven't done.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Stoney Parking
September 06, 2011, 09:43:10 am
This might be worth flagging on ukc as the majority of evening users are routers and prob don't post on here

Done

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Stoney Parking
September 06, 2011, 10:07:42 am
Mot while you climb?

Sounds like a good idea subject to which definition of Mot you use.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mot

Adrian Heath

#8 Re: Stoney Parking
September 06, 2011, 02:46:04 pm
We certainly got off on the wrong foot but I need to stress for all; there is no conflict over access to the crag.

As long as the area is respected and left free of litter, I'm happy.

MoT while you climb, no prob, . . . discount? unlikely but no harm in asking !

Cheers, Adrian

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Stoney Parking
September 06, 2011, 05:43:25 pm
We certainly got off on the wrong foot but I need to stress for all; there is no conflict over access to the crag.

As long as the area is respected and left free of litter, I'm happy.

MoT while you climb, no prob, . . . discount? unlikely but no harm in asking !

Cheers, Adrian

Nice one, thanks for posting on here and letting us all know the score - its much appreciated.

Done

Sadly Slackers, your post led to the usual UKC drivel... But well done for daring to talk on the borg-channel.. it needed doing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal