UKBouldering.com

Harnesses (Read 10044 times)

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#25 Re: Harnesses
August 25, 2011, 08:42:21 am
That's a point I forgot to mention.... the slope of the loops can result in gear hanging in the way of my legs - nuts in the way of my nuts, so to speak (especially annoying on slabby pitches).

I have to admit I found this too - I solved it by putting gear on the back four loops and quickdraws on the front two - less weight over my legs and thus less annoying. I'd forgotten I did that is become so automatic now!

remus

• forum hero
#26 Re: Harnesses
September 23, 2011, 04:03:52 pm
A quick update in return for all your very helpful advice.

I went for the R320 in the end because it was a good fit and i prefer the gear loop setup, I also got it relatively cheaply from planetfear (£70 instead of £90 RRP.) I've had it for about 3 weeks now and have used it a fair bit including some multi-pitch, some cragging and a brief shunting session. Overall impression is very good. It's noticeably lighter than my last harness (an old petzl thing) and generally well thought out.

First thing that struck me is that the waist loop and leg loops are very thin (as in padding thickness) and feel quite stiff, almost like a thin sheet of plastic. I was a bit worried that this might 'crease' or generally get damaged through general abuse but this doesnt seem to be the case so far. its survived being crammed in to the sack along with the general wear and
tear of climbing with no noticable damage. Havent had any issues with comfort. hanging around on tiny stances covered in bird shit is never much fun but neither is it an  overly painful experience.

The gear loops are pretty awesome. Theyve got a cool little plastic cover thing that keep them stiff and has a slight slant so your gear tends to the front of the gear loop. you can take the plastic thing off and switch it around so that your gear tends towards the back of the gear loop. The front 2 gear loops are monsterous. You could quite comfortably carry 10 quickdraws on each one. The rear 2 gear loops are a more normal size.

The haul loop is a bit shit, its just some weedy little plastic D ring through a small (but sturdy looking) loop of webbing. Id be pretty reticent about using it as a haul loop as it is, though it looks like an easy job to cut of the D ring and replace it with a bit of cord to make something a bit beefier.

The buckle is quite nice. Very easy to use when you're putting the harness on (compared to the old petzl thing at least) but a bit fiddly to get it to release. Perhaps not a bad thing as it means your unlikely to be able to loosen the harness off without meaning to, but still feels like it should be easier to do. Theres a little loop of fabric for tucking excess strap out of the way, though i find it a bit minimal for my needs, as the harness is quite big on me so theres quite a bit of extra webbing left. Pretty minor point but one of those small anoyances.

The tie in points feel very sturdy, though apparently a few people have had issues with the longevity of the webbing so I'll reserve judgemment for a year or two.

Finally, the elastic connecting the leg loops to the waist belt seems somewhat inadequate. Its already looking stretched out and generally like its about to bite the dust, bit annoying
considering the harness is only 3 weeks old.

All in all a very nice harness. Theyve thought pretty hard about every aspect of the harness and it shows. i have some doubts about its durability but only time will tell if theyre founded or not.

Paul B

• forum hero
#27 Re: Harnesses
September 23, 2011, 04:30:56 pm
I agree but isn't that just the reality of lighter kit? Its hte price of the arc'teryx harnesses that really get me.

However, I've just gone for the Womens R280 after trying a lot of harnesses on as the only other real option was the Hirundos but the rear gear loops are right at the back or going for something without ziplock buckles (a luxury I've had on all my harnesses which made me reticent to give it up!).

I read somewhere that the Edelrid harnesses were meant to be as comfortable as the arc'teryx. They're not, they're ridiclously stiff and pretty uncomfortable with a stupid buckle that faces the opposite way to logic and looks incredibly easy to catch. They do look good though  :geek:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal