UKBouldering.com

Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock (Read 6242 times)

Potash

• menacing presence
Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock
August 22, 2011, 08:19:26 pm
Climbed a lovely'ish 7a on a hugely overhanging wall up massive jugs.

It would be worth three stars if:

• It was not in dank hole in the ground
  • I bothered to clean it properly
  • Midges didn't adore the place

It does have solid rock with good moves. 

grimer

• forum hero
#1 Re: Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock
August 22, 2011, 09:36:35 pm
Is that what you would call a balanced assessment?

Tb

• Derby Arboretum Boulder
#2 Re: Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock
August 24, 2011, 06:05:18 pm
Took a look at this sport route last night, looks good fun and covers some very steep ground, hopefully I’ll get to try it soon.

I’ve looked at Jug Holes as a climbing venue for a number of years and eventually got round to cleaning a few lines here earlier this year. As the site is a SSSI I’d got hold of a copy of the DCA  ‘Jug Holes Interpretation Pack’ which was supported by English Nature. Whilst conservation issues and guidelines for caving group use are covered, climbing or bolting are not specifically mentioned, but we felt it best to test the water by doing only minimal cleaning and taking a trad approach for starters. Back in June I persuaded dpb along to climb the ‘easy extreme’ left to right traverse of the lip after I’d fallen off it.  It’s a lot stepper than it looks from the ground. Any comments from folk repeating this would be appreciated.  After receiving a call the other night that the 'cat was out of the bag' regarding Jug Holes I nipped over to climb the easier higher traverse line, again I’ve no idea of the grade HVS/E1 5b? but again a great position and a tad steep, cheers for the belay Marc  :)

Unicorn Crossing E46a?

In the main cave/mine entrance or 2nd Water Cavern which faces north.  Starting on blocks high up on the left of the entrance, traverse the lower line to finish via the sentry box in the middle of the roof. FA Dave Bond 10 July 2011

Cerberus HVS/E1 5b?

Start as for Unicorn Crossing but move up to follow the higher traverse line. FA Tim Banton 23 August 2011

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock
August 24, 2011, 06:27:50 pm
Are there two cave entrances here? Funnily enough I went to check the place out for potential only last week (before seeing this thread) on a vague tip-off from a climber at work. The cave entrance I saw didn't look quite like the one in the pic but did have some potential for steep route including a l-r trad rising traverse. Do you have any more pics showing the whole crag?

Tb

#4 Re: Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock
August 24, 2011, 06:42:04 pm
I'll see if I can sort out some other images later.  The first hole you come to has a l to r trad line, and the new sports routes cuts right through this from a small ledge on the left.  If you continue down the path you come to the other bigger south facing entrance.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock
August 24, 2011, 06:46:19 pm
Cheers. Looked pretty good. Should be generally nicer there when the leaves are off the trees (assuming it stays dry).

Tb

#6 Re: Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock
August 26, 2011, 06:22:29 pm
Ok a few more pics to tempt someone in for a repeat, afraid they're not great but should give you an idea.

1st entrance, Sports route follows a line roughly behind the right fork of the tree.

2nd entrance, Trad routes start on left and finish in sentry box.

spot the cavers

Bottom break Unicorn, top Cerberus all a tad steep!

Potash

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Double D F7a Jug Holes Matlock
August 27, 2011, 05:03:47 pm
Could people please respect the right hand line as being a 'closed project' until I have an opportunity to try and climb it.

Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal