UKBouldering.com

Camcorder recommendations (Read 2843 times)

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
Camcorder recommendations
August 09, 2011, 02:03:50 pm
I am looking to get a camcorder that I can just stick on a tripod and record a session of bouldering.

I don't want to spend lots (about £200 - £250) but there are a few things that I do want. I'm basically a tech geek, but won't use the camera that much to warrant spending too much on it.

I want 720p.
I don't want to record to MOV files.
Preferably the screen spins around to face forwards too, for when the tripod ends up sitting somewhere hard to get behind.

I've been looking at:
Samsung H300   - very mixed reviews.
Panasonic SD40  - looks good, buy only records 1080p, which seems pointless overkill.

Any suggestions, or is this price point a waste of time and you might as well either buy a Flip or move up to £300 ?

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Camcorder recommendations
August 09, 2011, 02:25:22 pm
Sanyo Xacti (Jim posted some test footage up a while ago now)?

I can't really see the point of going for a full camcorder as all you're gaining is bulk. With the prevelance of HD DSLRs these days I can't see residuals being too high on high end mini-dv cameras such as the Canon HV series (you can get these with SD slots) but to be honest if its going to end up permanently on a tripod I really can't see the point of going beyond the Xacti/Flip level.

On the other hand (the screens don't rotate), the Canon S95 and Panasonic LX5's both record HD footage as do a lot of other small compacts, the bonus being they're pretty handy little compacts too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Camcorder recommendations
August 09, 2011, 02:29:37 pm
Xacti records to 1080 (I think) and MPEG4 as a standard (well mine does anyway), so not really what he wants. Ace wee camera though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Camcorder recommendations
August 09, 2011, 02:36:57 pm
Xacti records to 1080 (I think) and MPEG4 as a standard (well mine does anyway), so not really what he wants. Ace wee camera though.

They do 720p versions (waterproof if you so wish), but surely yours has the option to pick something other than full HD (maybe even SD)?

I can't see the problem with using .mp4 file formats as most software can happily edit the native files, earlier .mov files from DSLRs were a bit akward but as they've grown in popularity this doesn't seem to be much of an issue anymore. You're paying a lot more (monetary and weight) for a preffered output file.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Camcorder recommendations
August 09, 2011, 02:40:06 pm
Don't know , never wanted to so never tried to change to anything other than SD.

I know .mp4 isn't a major problem; misread OP and though he said he DID want .MOV

rtft.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#5 Re: Camcorder recommendations
August 09, 2011, 04:11:17 pm
On the other hand (the screens don't rotate), the Canon S95 and Panasonic LX5's both record HD footage as do a lot of other small compacts, the bonus being they're pretty handy little compacts too.

Only I see both of these are more like £350. I had considered a new compact as the option, since I current have a 6mp compact that videos @ 320x200, but it's pictures are fine so I thought something more specific might produce better results.

The Sanyo Xacti SH1 looks pretty good and under budget on amazon if I don't mind a horrible color one.

My hate of MOV files comes from a combination of hating the whole quicktime app, which, thank god you don't need on Windows 7 now. But also I only have Adobe Premier and that does need quicktime installed to handle MOV files but then it crashes the Photoshop Organizer building thumbnails for it. Fully retarded.

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Camcorder recommendations
August 09, 2011, 04:21:39 pm
Both the LX3 and S90 record 720p and should be well within budget. I'm not clued up on how much an LX5 currently is but I doubt £350 is the cheapest you can find one! Maybe even the canon G series is worth a look too? You get best value buying secondhand.

I expect that the optics in front of the sensor in a few of your more dedicated options are likely of lesser quality than the leica optics found on the LX3/5.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal